Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what was your weight-gain pattern?

weight gain pattern  

1 member has voted

1. 1. weight gain pattern

• did it just sort of sneak up on you
    • did you gain steadily
    • did you gain in small bursts
    • did you gain in large bursts

Started getting fat at the age of 6

First diet was at the age of 10 (approx)

Graduated HS 300+ lbs

Lost 150 lbs at the age of 23 (starvation)

Stayed at 170 until I was 33

Sister died....gained almost 100 lbs back

Lap band, 262 lbs, October 2005

To be continued....................

I started gaining in November of 96. I was diagnosed with Lupus and secondary scleroderma. Steroids, steroids, and more steroids. Plaquenil with all of it's side effects i.e vision impairment, Hair loss, and depression because of all the pills. Gained 20lbs in 1 month! Gained an average of about 7lbs a month after. Woke up one day at 350lbs. Lost weight down to 336lbs. Had lapband surgery 9 years after diagnosis. Off of all meds for immune disorder. Life is grand!

I starting gaining my most weight once I was married. I ate all the wrong foods. I'm pretty much the same as Jack, I have been on diet pills most of my life. If there was a diet pill I took it. Anything new that came out I had to have. Of course it never worked. I have found the solution with the band.

I weighed 124 at age 18 and suddenly 190 at age 19. :)

Overnight almost, I went from a very petite vivacious thing to something very lethargic and depressed and self-loathing. Of course, I could take years to explain the trauma I had gone through at age 18. I do believe I've had some health considerations at play, but I believe pschycological issues had much to do with it also.

All of the above...

I think mostly I gained steadily, but then there were the bursts, too...

My first really big weight gain was when I was in highschool and started working at McDonalds. I went from a size 16 to a 20/22 in about 6 months... :)

My first couple of years of college I hung around 185.

Gained to 200 when I fell in love with my gay boyfriend.

Lost 45-50 when I withdrew from college to deal with the fact that my gay boyfriend could never love me in "that" way... :doh:

Steadily regained after returning to college.

The summer of 1984 I think I put on 30-50 pounds.

Left college in 1985 about 230.

Got up to 300+ while living with the same gay boyfriend between 1990-1992.

Got down to 220 or so and holding while in Europe, 1993-1994

Gained at least 50 pounds from 4/98-11/98.

Got down to 200 in 2001.

Between 6/2001 and 1/2003 regained to 303.

Banded 1/03-7/04 - lost 103 pounds.

And the 80 some pounds I've regained since unbanding has been over the last 15 months.

Of course there were many more ups and downs over the course of those years, lowest being 185ish in 1986 or so, to highest of 3?? in 1992.

The sad thing is, before banding, I habitually ate a large, deep-dish pizza Hut pizza every weekend, OR a bucket of KFC. That was the Friday night/Saturday am binge fest.

I don't eat like that anymore, and yet the weight has come back just like I was eating out of control... :)

OY VEY....

I gained pretty steadily since I was 10, then at 16/17 I had a large burst (right after being put on Depo, but since I was in denial, I didn't put the two together), and then pretty steady again aftre that burst... so for the most part it kind of snuck up on me, but I think that might have something to do with my refusal to acknowledge it.

I was thin as a kid and early twenties. Got pregnant and gained a big portion of the weight. Stayed the that same weight until got pregnant second time and did it again, gained too much and then stayed there.

Can I just answer yes? I've gained and lost in every way possible. Warning, this is long and rambling and possibly even incoherant.

My weight is definately related to my state of mind. But I was always heavy. I weighed 195 lbs at 15. I held that until I got married 2 weeks after my 17th birthday; I cooked for hubby and put on 30 lbs in less than a year. Then we divorced: another 15 lbs over 6 months. Then I got pregnant. I didn't lose or gain while pregnant, but I gained 50 lbs. after I had him due to postpartum psychosis. Then I was pregnant again (!) and lost the 50 lbs while pregnant but then I had postpartum again and gained the 50 lbs back. Then I went to college and a loaded schedule helped me lose 5 lbs until the combo of stress/depression caught me again. I had Migraines 3-5 days a week and was in bed alot, so I gained another 20 over a year. I finally found my miracle drug, topamax, which got rid of the migraines, and I went back to work, and my 2nd hubby left me all within a month. Stress and fear had a different result this time: I lost 55 lbs in 6 months. After that, I got better and I held my weight for 2 years. When my weight started going up again (all it took was 5 lbs) I began the 6 month program to get approved for lap band surgery (and I got married again 3 weeks after surgery). It's been 20 weeks since surgery, I've lost 10 lbs, and I'm back on anti-depressants, but I'm DETERMINED to do it this time.

last 60 pounds in a few months. not sure exatly how many, 3-4 maybe? otherwise slowly. was chubby since i was a kid.

Was always a heavy person even as a kid, but after I got married....UGH:eek: :confused: ......I weighed 195 on my wedding day 16 years ago and ate my way up to 350. So I gained 155 pounds during those 16 years!!!!!

Hmmm...I think it was about 10-15 after pregnancy...and another 20 or so with a hysterectomy...and a good 20 with steroids after pneumonia...and then slowly, with a respiratory thing and a bladder issue which both kept me curled up in pain and on drugs, and whch slowed me down a lot. Those lifestyle changes added on another 40-50 pounds over the next ten years. And there's 100 pounds.

At age 20 and 9 months pregnant I weighed 202 pounds the day I had my daughter. Now 12 years later and not pregnant I weigh 200 pounds. In 12 years my weight steadily went up and up. I gained 42 pounds during 9 months of pregnancy after pregnancy I gained 42 more pounds in 12 years. I am sooooooooo very proud to say with the band, God and determination I have lost close to 45 pounds in 6 months.

Hi You all,

Weighed between 140-150 all through high school, college saw me between 140-150 then boom met former husband and went to work swing shift to go to school mornings and bam 30 lbs in 3 months, got married at 180 then went up to 220 over the next 8 years. had son #1 at 240, son #2 at 270, got band at 242, son #3 at 212. while going through worst part of marriage (his cheating) got down to 168. now i've had my 3rd fill and down from 200 to current of 180.

Hopefully i'll get to a comfy 150 and get my PS to look great. Already feel great since getting ex-hubby out of my life. He was caustic!

I was a sickly skinny toddler and adolescent. I weighed 115 when I entered high school, 125 when I got pregnant with my first child, 130 after she was born...stayed at 130 for 10 years until my son was born, gained 20 pounds and went straight back to 130/132 where I remained until I quit smoking at age 32...gained up to 165 in one year..that started the yo yo dieting. I also had a job where I sat at a computer all day and it just got worse year by year from there, in 1990 I weighed 175, in 2000 I weighed 193, and now I am up to 225.

I was skinny all my life up to about age 30, stayed 120-125 lbs and 5'9". Met my husband in a white bikini (me not him). Got married in size 9 jeans. Then just steadily been gaining since. Went from 125 to 245 lbs in 20 yrs. Not sure what happened except got old & fat. Nothing really changed, have never been physically active. Guess it just caught up with me. So now at age 50 I am starting to exercise for 1st time in my life.