Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what was your weight-gain pattern?

weight gain pattern  

1 member has voted

1. 1. weight gain pattern

• did it just sort of sneak up on you
    • did you gain steadily
    • did you gain in small bursts
    • did you gain in large bursts

Here's the deal, I see this over and over in people's posts, and it just doesn't make sense to me. It's along the lines of "you didn't gain it fast, why would you lose it fast?"

That doesn't make sense to me, because you see, I did gain it fast. One month I gained 25 pounds, another month I gained 18 pounds, one summer I gained 50 pounds. When I was really sick with asthma, and have to be put on steroids, I would automatically gain 10-20 pounds, 10 of which would be a killer to lose. My calories didn't change drastically, nor did my activity levels change.

So, my question is how did you gain the weight?

did it just sort of sneak up on you?

did you gain steadily

did you gain in small bursts

did you gain in large bursts

I gained steadily from about the age of 11 or 12 because of PCOS. Of course, I didn't know I had PCOS until a little over 5 years ago. That's when everything sunk in - - - "jeez, no wonder I was gaining weight even though I was an active kid and I ate relatively healthy"

Thanks for starting this thread! I gained 65 pounds in three months due to a horrible psychiatric misdiagnosis and being a guinea pig for every medication under the sun.

I have no psychiatric problems, just a 15 year undiagnosed case of RLS. And the meds that would have helped with that problem wouldn't have led to the weight gain.

And yeah, I DID say 65 pounds in 3 months. I went from 135 to 200 in three months. Then, almost immediately, I went down to 185, where I've been for the last 4 years.

I gained steadily as I grew, pretty much all my life. At 9 I was 150, at 13 I was 212, at 20 I was 265, at 28 I was 310. Then at 28 I went on Optifast and lost 75 lbs, getting down to 235 for about a week. After that I gained steadily, but faster, for the next 8 years, topping out at 340. Then I got pregnant. :) :) I hovered between 310 and 350 for the next five years through two pregnancies.

I was always heavy (in my mind). Always trying to lose weight. Always on a diet -- or just coming off one. I'd struggle & lose 10-20 pounds, go off for 2 weeks & gain 30, then get back into the struggle. Follow that pattern... I kept gaining 30 pounds in less then a month, lol, just spread out. :)

Then I got married & Mikey gave me permission to be myself & eat. Wow. First time that happened! 100 pounds in 1 year, lol.

I do know that I hit plateaus going up... I sat at 195 for a while (up & down several times)... and at 225. After that I don't know, my scale didn't go that high. But I expect to hit the same plateaus on the way down.

Cool thread!

I was about 175 in high school, then jumped up to 225 by the end of college. I dieted down to 190 for my wedding and then gained 70 lbs in the 6 months immediately following. Then I yo-yo'd for 8 years and topped out at 305 when pregnant with both kids. For the last few years I've been bouncing between 260 and 285.

Until I wrote that I had no idea that I gained 50 lbs in college. Yikes, that's 50 lbs of pizza weight.

Sigh... i was never a skinny kid.. i was always filled in... not fat.. but filled in.. then jr. high happedns and i blew up... and up and up and up... Till i topped the scales at 297..... Its was so sad...

Kim

Never agian do i want to feel the way i did back then...

Well, I voted that it just sort of snuck up on me. I was thin when I got married. After each child I continuously gained until one day I REALIZED that I was very fat. I never saw myself at fat, but when the insurance wouldn't cover me because of my weight I realized I must be pretty darn FAT!! It felt like it snuck up on me, but it was a good 10 years of eating that did it to me.

Same here I was 128 when I got married then first baby I gave my self permission to eat anything I wanted while I was pregant then got pregant again..wow before I knew it 268

Up until 8 years ago, I thought that the 15-20 pounds I needed to loose were the end of the world (I weighed 160 pounds and wore a size 12), then I quit smoking and gained 70 pounds in one year! At that point, I knew what a real weight problem was!

SunnyKim, dont take this the wrong way but

YOU ARE SO CUTE ~~

That is a great picture of you !!! keep up the good work

(Ok, I will now stop hijacking this thread)

I've gone up and down a lot my whole life. I was doing well weight-wise and got down to 150 in 1998--in good enough shape to run a 10K. I was trying so desperately to be "good enough" & feel loved in my marriage to a Vulcan.

After 15 years of married life I finally gave up and decided I had to divorce him if I was ever going to be happy again. In the year and 4 months from the very moment I made that decision to when my former husband finally moved out I gained 138 pounds.

:ermm