Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does Everyone Want To Be A "Food Addict?"

I appreciate the article and realize that changing behavior and consequences really is about making better choices that become habits. But the definition of an addiction is when something sincerely interferes with your life functioning and you want to stop but can't. That is how food can be with me. My knees hurt and I want to lose weight but hard to implement hours on the treadmill when one's mobility is so limited. I think and hope that the sleeve will give me a great tool, that will set me up for about 6 months of good habits and then after that it is up to me not to go down the slippery slope. And actually I had a dear friend who I found out had been an IV drug user for 30 years. They really wanted to quit and had wanted to for several years, but they didn't have the tools. I connected them with the tools and they quit. Not cold turkey mind you but they did it. My friend also quit smoking as well. I was so proud of my friend, but then realized that I needed to focus on me and my own recovery from my addiction.

P.S

A LOT of people love food and aren't overweight. Just looking at the Cooking

Channel, FoodNetwork etc.

This is not about love of food. This is about an abnormal relationship with food. You are obviously not a food addict so it's understandable that you don't get it.

Oh...and about picking up cigarettes from the ground, ash trays, etc. I've done some pretty disgusting things in order to get in my food fix. I won't go into details but I've seen other posts from folks who are also ashamed of some of their behaviors regarding food and let me tell you friend, it's not pretty.

I guess no one is free of responsibility of managing their weight and their trigger foods BUT there is an equal amount of responsibility that belongs on the doorstep of the food industry. Their well paid " food engineers, research and development and marketing personnel" know full well that brain chemistry is involved in the desirability of foods to humans. Did you ever hear of anyone with a broccoli addiction ?! No more likely the food of choice is a carbohydrate made in some lab and then manufactured and mass produced.

Our culture ( in the US) is bombarded with suggestive ads for fast, unhealthy foods millions of times a day. Parents even think they are giving their kids a " treat" to go to MD, when they are really setting them up for a lifetime of addicting carb craving, possibly leading to major health problems like heart disease and obesity.

I work with chronic disease patients regularly in my practice and not one of them wouldn't go back and make changes to avoid diabetes, limb amputation, congestive heart failure and kidney disease if they could.

Food is now in the hands of Big Business and the Pharma Industry. Choose your food wisely and realize that processed foods are not your friend and neither is the food industry that produces them. Their business is making you crave their products and create "Loyal Addicts" to increase their profits.

WANT to be a food addict?? WANT??

*deep breaths*

My entire life I've felt powerless to food, cravings, and impulsive bad decisions... I could never figure out why this was so hard for me. Why could other people put the fork down, but I ate until I puked? How could people turn down dessert and I couldn't? Why did I hide food? Why did I constantly feel guilty for everything I ate?

One day the light bulb went on! This is an addiction like anything else. That is why this was so hard for me... why it is still hard. It's an everyday battle but the surgery has helped tremendously!

I found the article to be a bit... condescending. Of course I recognize my own screw ups, I take responsibility for my actions, I seek solutions to my ADDICTION. That doesn't make me a "wanna-be" addict or some weak person looking for an excuse!

It takes a strong person to admit they have a problem/addiction, it takes an even stronger person to fight their addiction head-on instead of living in what is 'comfortable'. I could have continued the life I was living, eating to replace love, friendship, and hobbies... I could have gained more weight... I could have stayed where I was comfortable, stuck with what I've done my whole life. Instead I confronted my addiction and changed my life! If anyone thinks I or anyone else wants to be a food addict they can kiss my ever shrinking ass!

I'm sure "doctors" used to say the same thing about alcoholics. Just don't drink. Be strong! Replace the bad behavior with good behavior. Being an alcoholic doesn't excuse the individuals, but it does explain the behavior. Being a food addict (or an eating addict really) doesn't excuse my behavior. I own it, and I treat it daily. One of those treatments is WLS. One of those treatments is regular exercise. One of those treatments is a regimented eating plan.

I am addicted to eating. Yes, I can overeat carrots and broccoli. I can overeat salad. WLS will not make that addiction go away.

Not everyone who is fat has an addiction. Not every food addict is fat.

I smoked for 15 years but I was never addicted to nicotine. I just stopped smoking one day. Never jonesed for a cigarette after. Could always take it or leave it. But I don't have the audacity to say that nobody is truly addicted to smoking. I'm lucky.

When it comes to food, I'm not so lucky.