Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Deal With Your Family Eating?

How do you deal with your family eating while you are not? I am only on day 4 Post-Op, and admit that I am a food addict, so watching my husband making Hamburger Helper while I am eating a 1/4 cup of cream of chicken Soup with Protein powder...it's making me unreasonably mad....and frustrated....and sad....any advice or tips...

AND...PS...when does this gas go away?

How do you deal with your family eating while you are not? I am only on day 4 Post-Op' date=' and admit that I am a food addict, so watching my husband making Hamburger Helper while I am eating a 1/4 cup of cream of chicken Soup with Protein powder...it's making me unreasonably mad....and frustrated....and sad....any advice or tips...

AND...PS...when does this gas go away?[/quote']

Oh I have the same problem. I am still expected to plan out/prepare meals for my husband and toddler, and feed the infant but he is easier at least. Anyway, because I too am fresh post op and missing my friend food, im crabby. I don't want to be around it, taunted by it. Tonight we ordered Papa Johns (for them, i ate scrambled freakin eggs) and my husband fed my son a fast food taco for lunch today. My poor family. I made a big roast in the crock pot for them so all they had to do was warm it up on the day of my surgery but they still ate the crap-fast food. In a few weeks, when we are able to eat real food, I envision us all eating healthier. In the meantime do what you can to survive.

And the gas. It gets better. Benefiber, colace and gas x strips were all helpful. I'm 9 days post op.

Oh I have the same problem. I am still expected to plan out/prepare meals for my husband and toddler, and feed the infant but he is easier at least. Anyway, because I too am fresh post op and missing my friend food, im crabby. I don't want to be around it, taunted by it. Tonight we ordered Papa Johns (for them, i ate scrambled freakin eggs) and my husband fed my son a fast food taco for lunch today. My poor family. I made a big roast in the crock pot for them so all they had to do was warm it up on the day of my surgery but they still ate the crap-fast food. In a few weeks, when we are able to eat real food, I envision us all eating healthier. In the meantime do what you can to survive.

And the gas. It gets better. Benefiber, colace and gas x strips were all helpful. I'm 9 days post op.

You allowed Papa Johns in the house? That would be the DEATH of me!!! I will have to get some gas x strips....thanks for the advice!

How do you deal with your family eating while you are not? I am only on day 4 Post-Op, and admit that I am a food addict, so watching my husband making Hamburger Helper while I am eating a 1/4 cup of cream of chicken Soup with Protein powder...it's making me unreasonably mad....and frustrated....and sad....any advice or tips...

AND...PS...when does this gas go away?

...and boy oh boy... can i identify with you on this one. My hubbie doesnt cook but i have to prepare good meals for him twice a day. its got to the point where im having my meal first. then its not quite so bad. now im eating more i can sit with him but he wolfes his food down so quickly that its unsettling. he is up and cleaning up while im still eating. bad manners to say the least and a real eye opener for me. I dont know what to suggest... perhaps have something before he starts to prepare tea?? its not quite so bad then. i felt the same way... i was angry, frustrated, all the same issues that you have had. Mind you, im getting more used to it now ... its nearly 7 weeks. i think that it does even out a bit. its all very new to you right now. Sorry i didnt have a lot of things you could try.. lol.. but i did have something to eat before hand and it helped me through some mealtimes.

Oh I have the same problem. I am still expected to plan out/prepare meals for my husband and toddler, and feed the infant but he is easier at least. Anyway, because I too am fresh post op and missing my friend food, im crabby. I don't want to be around it, taunted by it. Tonight we ordered Papa Johns (for them, i ate scrambled freakin eggs) and my husband fed my son a fast food taco for lunch today. My poor family.

If you're responsible, then it means you get to make the rules!! Just make stuff that you can eat and make them eat it too... White fish is on the mushy-diet list if that's where you still are, so why not make some lemon sole, mash up a couple of potatoes with butter and make some stringbeans? The whole thing will take 1/2 hour to make and cost about $15... It has to be a lot better then smelling Papa Johns! That sounds like total torture to me!!!!

I actually nibbled a little on toppings, no meat. Just cheese and sauce. Wasn't even that great. Didn't feel like it was getting stuck or anything. Melted cheese isn't on my soft mushy food list so I won't be doing that anymore, I'm respecting my band and it's limitations. I think all of us fresh post ops are. My fam is going to have to start eating healthier Sasha. I have an ultra picky toddler. Hopefully he will catch on.

I have an ultra picky toddler. Hopefully he will catch on.

Me too, and it's a challenge. But I find that while she'll only eat like 12 foods, thankfully avocados, fish and broccoli are among them... along with crackers, bread, pancakes, goldfish, Cereal and anything else white carbs. hehee. and pizza and really any kind of candy. if she could live on candy she'd be fine...

Me too' date=' and it's a challenge. But I find that while she'll only eat like 12 foods, thankfully avocados, fish and broccoli are among them... along with crackers, bread, pancakes, goldfish, cereal and anything else white carbs. hehee. and pizza and really any kind of candy. if she could live on candy she'd be fine...[/quote']

It's so frustrating! At least yours will eat avocados and broccoli. The healthiest things mine will eat are oatmeal and corn. And that ain't super healthy. But other than that our kids have the same likes. I've been feeding mine a beef taco laced with rice and black Beans a lot lately. He eats it up! Good luck to you and your picky lil child.

If you're responsible, then it means you get to make the rules!! Just make stuff that you can eat and make them eat it too... White fish is on the mushy-diet list if that's where you still are, so why not make some lemon sole, mash up a couple of potatoes with butter and make some stringbeans? The whole thing will take 1/2 hour to make and cost about $15... It has to be a lot better then smelling Papa Johns! That sounds like total torture to me!!!!

..and it sounds like torture to me as well. i reckon this is the b est idea. Just cook for the others basically what you are allowed to have. mostly ive done this and its not been too bad. its the speed my family wolf their food down with that worries me more.

I have encountered this this weekend. I was banded on Thursday, the 26th, and my wonderfully amazing friends brough dinner for my husband and son. My husband works 12 hour shifts so I helped him by heating the meals up...and although I love hotdogs...I just didn't want anything to do with them. I will admit that I did taste the "broth" of the chili my friend made to see if it was too spicy for my son--it was. Today I am fixing a favorite crock pot dinner for my husband...I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel when I get home...so far I have been too tired to "covet" his food--I have been taking a walk around the block before he gets home. The past couple weeks I have made an effort to make the meals more healthy so that it woun't be such a shock once I'm able to partake. I am also terrified about getting "stuck" and don't want to risk that yet. Don't worry...before long you'll be able to enjoy meals with your family again.

I just don't feed the family

:D

I'm just heartless! Guess I should explain... I'm single, work odd hours, and my kids are all adults. If anything they monitor what I eat. On a side note, I've also decided that kids should come with a pension plan. If you do an awesome job and they become productive adults, it seems only fitting we get some reward for a job well done? AND NO grandkids are NOT enough. I think it's only fair for a job well done.

Sorry went off topic there just a little bit. My bad :P

The good thing about Toddlers is that you CAN teach them good habits. YOU control what goes in their mouth. They will not starve. They WILL test you, and try and wait for the "good" stuff. It's tough for a couple of days but you can do it. If I put Hummus and veggies in front of my toddler (who likes these things), and also have chicken nuggets in site, or something else, then she holds out for it, or screams, or other typical toddler behavior. I move those out of sight, she gets hungry, and eats healthy. I also found a way to bake chicken nuggets so that they taste fried but are not.

I have no advice for the husband other than to have a talk about respect. I had to have that conversation with mine and fast food is no longer allowed inside unless I'm eating it too. Other than that he gas HORRIBLE manners.

My surgeon told me, for the first few days post op, don't let anyone eat in front of you. The smell alone can induce nausea fits, which make even Water become undesirable. During the liquid phase and mushy phase post op, it was really hard. I would also cook my DH some of my favorite things, but somehow I found the will to just remember that isn't my food anymore, I have a new plan. I ended up finding some foods I could have that i bought just for me, at them infront of him, and made him jealous of what I was eating. He understood then. Now that I'm able to eat normal foods again, it's easier. I just eat much less and it takes me forever to eat.