Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Slips?

How Many people have a slip and have to have surgery. I read that there is 88% chance of a band complication over 3 years and slips are the most common. I am scheduled for surgery in one week. I don't want to go blindly into something that could cause major problems but I want the change so bad. Has anyone else asked their dr how frequent slip rate is? I plan to do so ASAP. Please lete know about slips and if you had one if you still liked the band. Any other info as well. If u have gone yrs without a slip please post also! Trying to gauge things.

I had my band done in 2009 and 3 yrs later i am having MAJOR issues. I did lose 110 LBS and am grateful for that but i would recommend doing the sleeve. Getting banded was a huge mistake!!

I have had my band since 2010! Not one single regret AT ALL!! I had all these questions and concerns (I still worry) mainly b/c I work in the operating room and see all the complications! If you "you tube" the surgery you can watch the way they secure the band by pulling up and suturing the stomach around the band! One of the most dangerous complications we see in surgery is erosion which can cause infection!! And that is almost always from overfilling and purging. You have gotten this far and want this for a very good reason, do what you feel is right ;) I had a hard time accepting that once I could introduce food into my diet again after surgery (by this time swelling is down around the band) I was hungry, and had very little restriction! Wait till you get a full or 2, I actually had to have some taken out on my second fill, my "sweet spot" was easy to find, LOL

Best of luck, you'll do great, and I have read some awesome advise on this board about taking the time to understand your relationship with food!!! Very important... The past relationship and the future one!!

Some of the people who have experienced slips or erosion have done so because their band was not properly maintained. I am not saying all but some went months or years, either being sick too often or never went back for fills or checks and unfortunately things can go wrong if u leave them.

My surgeon said that many of the minor complications related to the band are avoidable so it is very important u feel comfortable with your surgeon so that if theres a problem u feel ok to return to him immediately and not let things go.

i have absolutely no regrets about this surgery, i am a 100% happy with the lapband and if i ever had to have it removed then i would be gratetful for the help it has given me and wave it goodbye still with no regrets ...

My surgeon said most erosions come from people over eating and ther pouch expands so much over time. Like a dog with a chain to tight around its neck it will start growing into the neck.

If my band slips it slips. Then I shall get it fixed or revise. I don't see either as a major problem. Much better than being obese with all the associated health problems that brings.

A sleeve probably has no major issues a couple of years down the line but the initial risks at the time of surgery can be REALLY scary.

I had my band done in 2009 and 3 yrs later i am having MAJOR issues. I did lose 110 LBS and am grateful for that but i would recommend doing the sleeve. Getting banded was a huge mistake!!

What are your complications?

I am 4.5 years out and I have not had a slip or erosion. I do have a hiatal hernia that I have a surgery consult for today. I think it was pre-existing though.

The only "complication" I have had was a leak in my port that required a port replacement. I had the port replaced under local at my Dr's office last year.

I also had gallbladder surgery about 6 months post op. That is normal with weight loss.

I will be honest. Sometimes during my journey I have really hated my band. Right now I love it. As long as I follow the band rules and really work with it, it is good. When I let head hunger win and I work around the band, that is when I am miserable.

Just realize the head work is a HUGE part of the process!!

i haven't been able to eat for 5 days or drink even fluids. i have no fills anymore because of this issue. the examinations and tests that i have had done say that my band is fine and that i got gastroparesis from the surgery. but its the band because i have so much restriction....sometimes over time your body can reject the band.

My band slipped two years ago...all my fault...had another revision yesterday...my tubing was not working correctly...I love my band and would not get the sleeve because they remove part of your stomach..

My band slipped two years ago...all my fault...had another revision yesterday...my tubing was not working correctly...I love my band and would not get the sleeve because they remove part of your stomach..

I agree with you and Elcee. I love my band. I have been banded 5 years, had a slip and just got it fixed 3 days ago. The band has done me justice...and I don't regret it all even with the problems I have had. There are complications with every kind of weight loss surgery. After my band slipped I looked into revising to the gastric sleeve but after researching I decided that it was not for me. Many patients have great success with the gastric sleeve but more information is becoming available about the long-term results. The gastric sleeve procedure is the first part of the gastric bypass and over time some patients stretch the stomach from over eating and of course gain some of the weight back. When this happens there is really not much else you can do other than have another procedure done to feel some restriction again. The lapband after gastric bypass and gastric sleeve...go figure!

Those of you that have had slips, was there something that caused them to do so? My doc told me excessive vomiting could cause it, like if you have the GI flu, food poisoning, etc

Any kind of throwing up...I think that drs should warn us against acid reflux...that was my first symptom...now that I know what to look out for I know when to see the dr. right away.

Any kind of throwing up...I think that drs should warn us against acid reflux...that was my first symptom...now that I know what to look out for I know when to see the dr. right away.

Thanks Emelie! Is it me, or should there be a handbook given to us by the makers of the band, Realize or whomever? I know communication is key with the docs office and we go in frequently, but there's so much to know.

Kuddos y'all. My band slipped two weeks ago & I am having it fixed Thursday I have a realize band and they should give more info on a slipped band.