Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Has Commenced!

Ok, so I started my liquid diet today. I have never been big on eating Breakfast, especially before 10 or 11, but today I woke up at 5 a.m. (like always) and by 7 a.m. I was hungry. I know this is totally in my head. I'm trying to stay focused and busy so I don't think about it.

How did you all do during your liquid diet? Were you able to stick to the strict liquid diet or did you have a moment of weakness? I am really determined to be honest with myself and stick to it. This is the first day of the rest of my "new" life. You all may need to remind me of that in a few days. Ha!

~Amanda

I'm going to be completely honest about how I was.. I struggled so hard with the liquid pre-op diet. I cheated for the first few days, and I felt extremely guilty everytime I did it. I mean, I'm big and have been big my whole life and have always eaten a certain way so when I was deprived of having the certain foods I was used to having I failed big time. A few days before the surgery I went to the surgery center to pay my costs and sign papers. They weighed me because they needed a final accurate weight and I had gained nearly 20 lbs since my consultation which put me over a 55 BMI. They said I would need to lose 3 lbs before surgery (which was in 4 days) or I wouldn't be able to have the surgery. I cried when I got home because I new I had done it to myself and possibly had ruined my chance to have the surgery. I got right back on track with those Protein Shakes and even exercised (something that I hadn't done in years). On surgery day I was extremely nervous because I was expecting to be told to go home, but to my surprise I had lost 11 pounds just in those 4 days. I was ECSTATIC because I knew I did that for myself and it was a lot easier than it had ever been because I knew I HAD to do it. I had surgery on the 16th and everything is going great. I've been on a clear liquid diet since then and it's been quite easy and I've been losing weight steadily. On Monday I get to have yogurt, pudding, carnation instant Breakfast, etc. I don't get to have things like eggs until the week after, but right now I don't feel deprived or hungry and know I can totally do this!

Well, there was my story. I completely admit to cheating on my pre-op diet for a few days and it's something I feel guilty for and it almost bit me in the butt. But I got back on track and loving it now. The pre-op diet was way harder than the diet after being banded. Hang in there because it's very rewarding afterwards! Good Luck! (and sorry about how long this was)

Shannon,

Thanks for your honesty. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! Keep up the great work!!

~Amanda

Shannon,

Thanks for your honesty. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! Keep up the great work!!

~Amanda

Thanks! I like to be honest about it because that's what I would have wanted going into this. But it does get easier. All I've had today was broth, sugar free Jello, and Water and I feel completely satisfied. Good luck with your surgery, you will do great!

I'm on day 5 and honestly it has gotten so much easier its become more routine I don't really feel hungry anymore and no more light headedness. The first 2 days I wanted to hurt someone lol but I haven't cheated

good luck - my time is coming and from what i've read it gets easier as the days go on. good luck!

dionaw- Sent from my iPad using LBT

I'm going to be completely honest about how I was.. I struggled so hard with the liquid pre-op diet. I cheated for the first few days' date=' and I felt extremely guilty everytime I did it. I mean, I'm big and have been big my whole life and have always eaten a certain way so when I was deprived of having the certain foods I was used to having I failed big time. A few days before the surgery I went to the surgery center to pay my costs and sign papers. They weighed me because they needed a final accurate weight and I had gained nearly 20 lbs since my consultation which put me over a 55 BMI. They said I would need to lose 3 lbs before surgery (which was in 4 days) or I wouldn't be able to have the surgery. I cried when I got home because I new I had done it to myself and possibly had ruined my chance to have the surgery. I got right back on track with those Protein shakes and even exercised (something that I hadn't done in years). On surgery day I was extremely nervous because I was expecting to be told to go home, but to my surprise I had lost 11 pounds just in those 4 days. I was ECSTATIC because I knew I did that for myself and it was a lot easier than it had ever been because I knew I HAD to do it. I had surgery on the 16th and everything is going great. I've been on a clear liquid diet since then and it's been quite easy and I've been losing weight steadily. On Monday I get to have yogurt, pudding, carnation instant Breakfast, etc. I don't get to have things like eggs until the week after, but right now I don't feel deprived or hungry and know I can totally do this!

Well, there was my story. I completely admit to cheating on my pre-op diet for a few days and it's something I feel guilty for and it almost bit me in the butt. But I got back on track and loving it now. The pre-op diet was way harder than the diet after being banded. Hang in there because it's very rewarding afterwards! Good Luck! (and sorry about how long this was)[/quote']

I am proud of u for stepping up and telling it like it really is???‰???‰???‰???‰???ƒ

Amanda, we are so in the same boat. I did the 3 month insurance required diet and lost, but the whole time I just kept telling myself I was making better choices and choosing to eat smaller portions - I never really had a hard time with it and didn't have that "I'm STARVING" feeling, like I do on most diets.

I had my pre-op on Wednesday and my pre-op diet consists of 3 or 4 replacement/protein shakes and a small Lean Cuisine type dinner. I tried to do some of it on Wed night, but didn't go so well. So on Thursday and Friday I tried to follow it, and now I feel like I'm STARVING! When I was on the 3 month diet I hardly ever felt hungry, went hours between my morning shake and lunch shake without a problem, and now I can barely go 15 minutes without thinking of something I can have, or feeling the need to eat. My stomach is rumbling and I'm grouchy and I feel like I did on every diet before. :-(

My doctor wants me to lose 10 pounds in 7 days - I thought it would be easy, but since I lost over 20 pounds already that quick weight loss isn't happening now. Hopefully it will be fine no matter what - the nurse said since I've already lost a lot and I'm not that big anyways (one of the ONLY times I've ever heard that for many years!!!!) that even just a few pounds should be fine.

Oh, and adding to the stress of a starvation diet :D I now have PMS, and I can't take anything but Tylenol. Or alcohol. I feel bad for my family having to live with me for the past couple of days. :wacko:

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one having a hard time with this. ;) Yesterday I ate about 1-2 cups of pistachios....definitely NOT on my pre-op diet.

~Kelly <3

Hi :

I'm having surgey on Monday the 23rd... On a Pre- surgery liquid diet for two days. I also got an upper respiratory infection. I want to eat something ... This is hard! Do you think my surgey will be cancelled because I'm sick?

J

Well I did really great the first 30 hours and then I was so hungry that I'm pretty sure if you heard a rumbling noise on either coast it was my stomach here in the midwest. I started feeling a little light headed as well. So I did eat a couple bites of grilled chicken breast. Not anywhere near a meal or anything, literally just a few bites. I was fine after that. I woke up this morning not hungry at all. My husband made me a Protein shake about 11 a.m. and I wasn't hungry again until around 3 p.m. I had a shake and then I took my sons to the lake and we came home about 8:30 and I was hungry so I had another shake. According to the scale I've lost 2lbs so far. Not too shabby! I really felt guilty after eating that chicken though but I'm not going to beat myself up about it too bad. I at least made a healthy choice.

I wish I could turn off my brain. I think that why I have failed at diets so many times is that I didn't really ever want the food until I knew I couldn't have it. Crazy isn't it?

I just keep reminding myself this is just temporary and it's all worth it to be healthy.

~Amanda