Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Out With The Band?

Not banded yet (surgery in June) and was wondering do you go out to restaurants to eat? If you do, what do you order?

ok i'm not the typical bandster, but i pretty much order as i did before...minus breads and carbonated beverages...i eat what i want..just smaller portions and eat Protein first

I usually order fish /seafood and veggies. It's easy to eat and no risk of getting stuck while out! I never order steak out!

It's totally an individual thing as to what you can eat. I have no trouble with anything, so I'm not restricted as to what I can order, I just can't eat the same size portions.

I like to share things with people I'm out with if they're willing, that way I get to taste a bigger variety of foods without overeating. I also order off of appetizer menus for my main meal at times. And I can't think of a single time I've gone to a restaurant since being banded when I haven't brought home at least 1-2 more meals worth of food. Restaurant portions are RIDICULOUS!!!

To be honest it depends on my day. If for whatever reason I've been having issues that day, I'll try to stick with more "slider" type foods (soups, etc). I've often shared with a friend, especially if the place has large portions. I often go with an appetizer since the size is better.

Thanks for the replys. I'm glad I have choices. I was afraid I might not be able to order anything (not sure why I thought that). I usually take 1/2 my meal home now when I go out. I agree the portion sizes now a days is way too much food. I like fish and chicken, but will miss my steak. I will cut a small bite off my husband's steak and put it in my takehome box to try at home!

I agree the sizes are ginormous!! Even appetizers are huge. No wonder we are an obese society! I used to have appetizers and a huge main course! The thought sickens me now!

I order an appetizer and ask that it be served with the Entrees for the table or I will order a salad with Protein and take most of it home.

I, generally, order fish. I really like crusted tilapia! If I can, I will share with my hubby. I will, sometimes, order an appitizer for my meal. I, also, being over 55, like to order from teh 55+ menu; they are smaller portions, just about right for a banders choice. Good luck, best wishes for your new life. Karen

For some reason I have a difficult time eating out. It's not enough time or the first bite syndrome, or the simple fact I can't get up and walk around to get things through. It also could be the fact that I have had a stressful day and can't eat period. Idk. Either way, whatever I order always comes home and either myself or my hubby eats it for leftovers.

weight.png

I usually order something like a caprese salad to start and eat 1/2 of it. Then i will get an appetizer. Like an appetizer portion of meatballs. Sometimes i can eat a single taco. Usually part of it comes home with me. But my husband loves leftovers. I haven't had any issues with steak out. But i order a petite filet with sauteed spinach and cut and chew very carefully.

I don't have a fill yet, but like to order a chili and small salad at a local restaurant I frequent. I ordered this before surgery, and the only thing that has changed is I eat about 1/3 of the chili and get the rest to go. I used to eat the whole meal plus a dessert... Never again :)

For some reason I have a difficult time eating out. It's not enough time or the first bite syndrome, or the simple fact I can't get up and walk around to get things through. It also could be the fact that I have had a stressful day and can't eat period. Idk. Either way, whatever I order always comes home and either myself or my hubby eats it for leftovers.

To be honest, I really prefer to just eat alone now! Sounds so sad, but true! Lol. Even if I go to dinner at my parents' house....I just feel like there is this pressure to eat within their timeframe. They always tell me not to worry and take my time but I don't know what it is....I often have more issues when I'm eating with other people, than by myself!

I usually order what I would usually do but try to stay away from the carbs. I still drink alcohol, and when I'm out to dinner, I'll drink it up until the point where we're eating, then I'll stop. The other day we went out for Mexican, I had shrimp and crab enchiladas which sucked! Anyway, they were basically grilled shrimp and canned crab with some sauce on top of two cheese enchiladas. So I just had the seafood, left the enchiladas alone, had some grilled veggies and that was it. There was Beans and rice as well, but I gave that to the dbf.

Today at lunch I ordered an arepa from the food cart outside of my office. An arepa is like a Mexican corn cake that they top with grilled veggies, meat (I chose shrimp) guac and pico de gallo. They serve it with a side of rice. All I ate was the arepa and that was it, threw the rice out.

Once and a while I'll order just an appetizer, but a lot of them are either deep fried or dips which I kind of consider a "slider food"

Hope I helped!

If I go out to eat at luch with my co-workers I usually get a to go box and have the leftovers for dinner. I try and stick with salads at lunch and fish for dinner