Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I posted this question in the general surgery section of the board but I don't know if it belongs here instead:

So during my psych eval the psych doctor said the most I would most likely lose would be 50-60lbs on the band. I weigh 265 and i am 5'10". and he also asked if i would be fine if i weighed 200lbs because statistics show the most i would lose was between 50 and 60 lbs.

thoughts?

not sure what they meant by that. I've been told that bandsters on average lose 50 to 60% of their excess weight in the first year.

I don't know about the statistics but I do know several people that have lost all of their excess body weight. I guess it really depends on how hard the individual works for it. My psychologist was really supportive and acted like I could get to my goal weight with no problem. I think you could definitely lose more than 50-60 lbs with this (in my opinion). : )

i feel there should be no reason for me to lose the 100-110lbs. I figured I'd lose 50-60lbs in the first year. I don't know if he was testing me to see if all I lose is 50-60 in the first year that if I'd be happy with that because the remaining about takes longer and I might give up..or if he wanted to see if I should go another route. I'd never get gastric bypass or the sleeve...ever.

If my surgeon offered the band with plication I MIGHT consider it, but not likely.

The statistic of 40-60% is based on everyone who gets the band, including those who never followup and those who never lose weight (or gain weight!). It is not just those people who have actually worked the band. Keep that in mind. I think if everyone comes into this knowing what to expect (in terms of rules for food, exercise, etc), then there is no reason you can't be 100% successful.

Thanks,

I appreciate the followup! Probably the best question asked by the psych doc was:

Why are you wanting Lap - Band: Give me three reasons.

1. To be there longer for my family.

2. To lessen my co-morbidities (severe sleep apnea, herniated disc, poor circulation in my legs), etc.

3. To get ahead of possible future (and most likely) health problems.

I strongly think that being obese can increase your chances to certain types of cancer. I had a grandfather who had cancer that started in his pancreas. Now he lived to age 78. But because of his weight he had to have hip surgery among other issues. My grandmother passed away from cancer (where it started, no one knows). I know that if I don't lose the weight now, that I will have an ever harder chance of losing it in my 40's and with that my father had a heart attack in his mid 40's ... that's why I'm getting the band!

Yes, I researched a lot before my appointments, so when I was told 40-60% by the surgeon I knew it was based on a lot of things, including people who do not have success.

It's a way for the practices to cover their butts- can you imagine how many people would sue if their surgeons assured them they would lose 80-100% of their weight and the people chose not to follow the rules and lost little to none?!

very true....there are other message boards where people got the band back around 5-7 years ago and they all ended up going back and getting gastric bypass or the sleeve and all they do is warn people not to get the band. I avoid that message board like the plague...

I know for me its all about restrictions, right now I feel I have none. When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I had gestational diabetes and I did not eat all the bad foods for my daughters sake and was able to control it completely with diet. I feel that after I have the band I will react the same way and not eat the wrong foods because I will have this restriction and diet to follow.

When I met with my surgeon he told me a couple stories of his banded patients one about a women who told him she tried and tried to lose but just cant and this women's sister took the dr aside and informed him that she was lying and her sister would drink 2 to 3 milkshakes a day. Another story was a man that said he found he could eat an entire 20 piece order of chicken nuggets it took him like 4hrs but he could do it. Its all about self sabotage. Also there are people who think the band is a magic fix and need to do no work. It will take alot of work.