Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welll... Yeah....

Went into see my surgeon last week. Was up 2.8lbs. They decided that since I was honest about how I have learned to eat around the band and am oviously gaining, I would only get .5cc this time. I feel discouraged about that, although I am trying to remain positive. I know I am at fault for the gain/relapse. But how do I get out of it? is what I want to know...

Just stop eating around the band. Do it now before it becomes just another bad eating behavior. I mean it. Just stop.

I spent too much of my banded time eating around my band. It is REALLY hard to follow the rules once you know how to cheat them.

Start over now. Back to basics. Dont beat yourself up for past bad decisions. Just do it. Remind yourself of the reasons why you had this surgery. Don't self sabatage.

You can do this.

Did they give you any advice? I am sure this must be a common challenge and the professionals should be offering us advice on dealing with these sorts of challenges.

in the absence of their help, why not go right back to basis and start over with the diet for newly banded patients.

good luck

Really look at yourself and determine when and why your are eating around the band. Are you sleepy and sweets late at night help you stay up? If so,then "GO TO BED" :) . Are you really hungry? If so, eat foods that are filling and packed with Protein. tuna is a great one. What you don't want to do is get in a funk. Don't beat yourself up. "Keep it moving" you have to determine what your bad habbits are and the reason for them before you can break them. The band wont help us with the mental changes that we have to make, neither will your doc holding your fills hostage lol. . Good Luck!

I know how u feel! I'm supposed to be in my second week purée and I'm eating regular food! I'm hungry!!! A tablespoon is NOT ENOUGH! I love when people say just stop! If I could just stop, I would have needed this! Emotionally this sucks!!! I too don't know what to do!!!

I know how u feel! I'm supposed to be in my second week purée and I'm eating regular food! I'm hungry!!! A tablespoon is NOT ENOUGH! I love when people say just stop! If I could just stop, I would have needed this! Emotionally this sucks!!! I too don't know what to do!!!

The reason ypou are on puree food is to allow u to heal post surgery, if you arent following the doctors rules and schedule of eating you stand a chance of damaging the band or you. Why on earth would u take those risks having just put yourself through surgery .. Werent you informed about the process before you were banded ? This requires work on your part as well as the support from the band, you need to contact your doctor i think and tell them what u are doing .. good luck

Thats right listen to Cazzy, I agree, why would anyone "work around the band??" Think about all the good things you will receive when you follow the rules...Stop thinking so much about eating. Try putting energy to other things...good luck, now go forward and forget about the wrong and make it all right.

Sometimes a person may try to eat around the band out of boredom, emotional pain, joy or habit. Realizing that you are doing it it the first step to recovery. The next step is to intervene. If it were easy to just stop then you would and I'm sure intellectually, everyone on this site knows that "just stop" just doesn't work. Here's a suggestion. The next time you feel like eating around the band, drink about 8 oz. of Water first. Take small sips and finish all of it. Wait 20 minutes then eat the food you were just dying to eat and write down what you just did. Read and re-read what you wrote down along with any thoughts about your actions. Don't make it long. Only write about 2 lines of info.

The reason ypou are on puree food is to allow u to heal post surgery' date=' if you arent following the doctors rules and schedule of eating you stand a chance of damaging the band or you. Why on earth would u take those risks having just put yourself through surgery .. Werent you informed about the process before you were banded ? This requires work on your part as well as the support from the band, you need to contact your doctor i think and tell them what u are doing .. good luck[/quote']

No one told me this would damage anything! They only said until I can tolerate! This was a big mistake!! Am I really alone here?

No one told me this would damage anything! They only said until I can tolerate! This was a big mistake!! Am I really alone here?

I am also on my third week. My doc is a little more aggressive with the food progression and I can have some solids (e.g. tuna, cheese...etc) However one thing they were adamant about in this stage is to only have 2 ounces or 1/4 cup at a time. Your pouch is designed to hold 4 ounces (1/2 cup) However since that flap of tummy was stitched over the band the hold it in place...they don't want me to fill my pouch for the first month as it could tear the sutures which in turn would tear my tummy....ouch! Not to mention they don't want the push to expand...defeating the purpose of the surgery to begin with. Please be ultra careful of your investment and health.

The band is designed to help you with physical hunger...head hunger and bad habits may be too strong in which case I would recommend a therapist for behavior modification or possibly support groups. I don't have any support groups in my area...but I am thinking to join an OA group for this reason. Good Luck!

I am also on my third week. My doc is a little more aggressive with the food progression and I can have some solids (e.g. tuna' date=' cheese...etc) However one thing they were adamant about in this stage is to only have 2 ounces or 1/4 cup at a time. Your pouch is designed to hold 4 ounces (1/2 cup) However since that flap of tummy was stitched over the band the hold it in place...they don't want me to fill my pouch for the first month as it could tear the sutures which in turn would tear my tummy....ouch! Not to mention they don't want the push to expand...defeating the purpose of the surgery to begin with. Please be ultra careful of your investment and health.

The band is designed to help you with physical hunger...head hunger and bad habits may be too strong in which case I would recommend a therapist for behavior modification or possibly support groups. I don't have any support groups in my area...but I am thinking to join an OA group for this reason. Good Luck![/quote']

Honestly I don't feel supported here at all only judged! I am a full time working mother of 4! I also go to school at night! The support groups are too far for me! I was hoping this one would help!

Honestly I don't feel supported here at all only judged! I am a full time working mother of 4! I also go to school at night! The support groups are too far for me! I was hoping this one would help!

Don't feel judged.....only God can judge you. I'm also a full time working mother, but I've had to make time to take care of myself and so do you. (Although most band rules are universal) Not all surgeons have the same rules and regulations. Yours may be more agrressive with your food progression. Check with him/her first before you take what anyone has said to heart. And if you descover you messed up. make sure your get a clear understanding on what you should be doing. Good Luck.

I am also on my third week. My doc is a little more aggressive with the food progression and I can have some solids (e.g. tuna, cheese...etc) However one thing they were adamant about in this stage is to only have 2 ounces or 1/4 cup at a time. Your pouch is designed to hold 4 ounces (1/2 cup) However since that flap of tummy was stitched over the band the hold it in place...they don't want me to fill my pouch for the first month as it could tear the sutures which in turn would tear my tummy....ouch! Not to mention they don't want the push to expand...defeating the purpose of the surgery to begin with. Please be ultra careful of your investment and health.

The band is designed to help you with physical hunger...head hunger and bad habits may be too strong in which case I would recommend a therapist for behavior modification or possibly support groups. I don't have any support groups in my area...but I am thinking to join an OA group for this reason. Good Luck!

I am on day 7 almost on soft foods, did you have your band filled during surgery or after post op

I am on day 7 from surgery, started on eggwhites, I feel hungry all the time is this because my band is empty? How many weeks did you guys have the band filled after surgery, I am following dr orders though so I am not overeating