Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you glad you did it?

Hi, I'm new here. I am still in the process of "going through the process". I am finished with most of it and am waiting for insurance approval.

My number one question for all of you that have been through this is......Is it worth it? Would you do it again? Are you sorry you did it? As you can probably tell, I fluctuate between being excited about having this done and thinking, "what the HECK am I doing?" Will I forever regret doing something this extreme? ....and then I think to myself...."Why don't you just shut your mouth and stop eating?" Of course I have had this attitude for 20+ years now and am at an all time high of 276 lbs, so obviously THAT hasn't worked for me. It's not that I CAN'T lose weight, I just can't KEEP it off.

I guess I am ultimately looking for some encouragement here.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Is it worth it? HELL Yes!!!

Would I do it again? YES!!! In a heartbeat!!

What you are feeling is normal. Have I had problems? YES! 99% caused my me! Remember our band is a tool. We have to work at it too.

The first think I tell pre ops is to do your research and do it for you nobody else.

XOXO~Teresa

5'9

Divorced

3 Children~15/13/11

Gering, Nebraska

Surgery: 5/14/02

Port Revision: 9/22/02

.80cc Used to be at 2cc

366/209/180-160<~~~Goal!!! Some day soon!!!

Dr. Halloway & Dr. Forney

Regional West Medical Center

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Kim,

Honestly I have no regrets...this is the easiest thing I've ever done to lose weight.

I had the same feelings as you did prior to surgery. I was exstatic and then depressed that I couldn't just shut my mouth and stop eating everything except what's bolted to the floor...

It's a big decision...I think we all have fluctuated between the what if's...

I love my band and I'm sure you will too!

Kim,

No regrets here!!! I love my band. There are some days I get frustrated because the band is fickle. Sometimes I can eat more and sometimes, two bites and my band tells me no more! But so far, it has been a very easy journey with very little problems.

I have lost 88 pounds forever which equates to 55% of my excess weight in 7 months. Ya gotta love it!

Babs in TX

334/246/180

6/23/03

Wow! Thanks for your quick responses everyone. I feel better and more confident all ready. I guess I am just looking to make sure that there are no horror stories like the ones I have read from people who have had Gastric Bypass. I always vowed I would never do that, it seems like "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" to me.

I have researched this procedure until I am SURE I could perform the surgery MYSELF! LOL.:rolleyes: But I have to say, I have had a horrible time trying to find a message board for Bandsters. I just happened to stumble onto this one, and BOY am I glad.

Thanks for your help, and I'm sure I will be posting with more questions.:P

I haven't once looked back!

Everyday I wakeup , I feel ivigorated knowing that I am a little bit closer to my goal.

The most important things I have gained back by being banded are my health and confidence.

I'm wondering if those 3+ years after post-banding if you feel this was a good decision? Since banding was approved just 7 years ago in the US I feel those of you that did it years ago are sort of pioneers to those of us that are considering this procedure. My surgery date is Feb. 28th...anyone have any advise????

Do a search for the member CoffeeWench. She was part of the FDA trials, has done great with her band and says she'd do it again. I know there are others around here that have had the band quite awhile, but she's the longest in years that I can think of.

Yes I'd do it again! My weight loss has been very slow, but I couldn't do it without my band. I can 't imagine how difficult it would be to maintain a weight loss either. It is hard work; you have to be ready for that fact. It also requires patience, because sometimes the weeks of being 'good' roll by without a scale victory.

Good luck!

Hey you,

Congrats on making the big decision! I am sooooo glad that I decided to do this! I had gained so much weight from having a child and other traumatic events that happened and didn't have the motivation to get it off. This seemed like my last resort. So here I am 8 months later and 100 lbs lighter. It has been a dream come true. I would do it again, too. I really haven't had any problems, except my gallbladder going bad now. I'm awaiting surgery for that. =)

Good luck to you and I think you'll love your band once you get it!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!! I love my band. I have my life back. I feel confident and attractive again. I am so.......glad I did this. Donna

3 days after surgery I was regretting it. thinking about how I could have done this on my own and i took the easy way out.

well that feeling passed. the band is not an easy way out. it takes work and dedication and it is a GREAT tool. I love my band and look forward to seeing how much more my body can change. I am 55 lbs down now. would do it again!

good luck!

It is the best thing I have ever done for myself! I'm not to goal yet, but for the first time I feel HOPE that I will actually meet my goals - it is such a good feeling!! Definitely it requires work on our part, but I was doing everything I could to lose weight without the band and I never seemed to succeed. The band gives me the edge I need so that my hard work will actually pay off!!

I have been banded about 3.5 years. I have gone thru phases where I have lost very slowly and actually, while it was frustrating, I know it's my head catching up with my new way of life! My head fights me sometimes. HOWEVER, I would do this again in a SNAP. I would find a way to pay for it myself if my insurance had not paid for it. I was the QUEEN of losing huge amounts of weight (100 lbs+) and the instant I stopped some goofy diet, it was back on plus more and more. That cycle was killing me emotionally and certainly not doing my body any good. The band is the BEST! DO IT!