Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 7 Post Op Questions

Hello!

I was banded last Monday April 9th and have a couple questions on what's normal. I'm having pain/pressure feeling like up towards my rib cage and when taking in a deep breath. Also my incision site where my port is is still pretty painful :mellow:

My main concern which kinda sounds different than a lot I've seen on here is I have ZERO appetite. I have to force myself to even drink Water throughout the day. Whenever I do try to have yogurt or what not, no appeal at all to me. Is that normal? I'm concerned I'm not getting any nutrition or that something's wrong cause I hear a lot of people talk about how hungry and starving they are. And it's not that I get sick why I can't eat, I haven't gotten sick once since surgery, I just don't want anything. Thanks for any help given :)

I had pain/pressure in rib cage for about 14 days post surgery. The operation takes place very close to your diaphragm and so it may have gotten bruised and could account for the pain. My port site hurt for about 4 weeks. You will feel a little better each day. But give yourself about a month to really feel great.

Sarah - I have not had my surgery yet (in three weeks). However, my Dr office gave me a book and also told me about the time right after surgery. They said best case, they hope people would have little or no appetite for the first 3 - 4 weeks. Then to remember that feeling b/c it is the "green zone" for later. If what they told me is true, I would expect your hunger to return in a week ro two gradually. Then you can aim for that never hungry feeling again with fills. It sounds like you may be the lucky ones that dont have to suffer in "banster hell".

However, again, I have not had my proceedure yet. I have only read a book and had discussions with my Dr office about this.

Everything you are feeling is normal. I didn't feel hungry until about 3 weeks out. Your port site will take the longest to heal. Hang in there and sip Water all day long and walk to relive pain. Follow your docs post op directions. Congrats and welcome to the other side. Hope you start feeling better soon.

I was banded on the same day as you! For the 1st 2 days I couldn't even swallow my own saliva so I was happy to be able to drink at the end of my 2nd day out. I have an appetite now though but its much smaller than before and I too am having difficulty getting in all my calories. I started drinking Protein Shakes and clear Protein Drinks to get in as much nutrition and hydration as possible. I've been adding broth, Protein Powder and low fat cottage cheese to my Soups to thin them out while boosting Protein. Please remember that this full feeling won't last forever. Take advantage of it. Good luck!

I had no appetite at all the first week. My dr said as long as I was drinking Water not to worry about it.

Omg. U made me feel so much better. I thought I was the only one dealing with that. I'm also having a hard time getting rid of gas.......

Do not worry. I had my surgery the SAME DAY and my surgeon says everything I feel is normal.

I hope you reach your goal!

Omg. U made me feel so much better. I thought I was the only one dealing with that. I'm also having a hard time getting rid of gas.......

Do not worry. I had my surgery the SAME DAY and my surgeon says everything I feel is normal.