Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB? Worse Experience of My Life!!!

Dear Strawarts,

I have never PB like you were explaining and I hope I never do but I did have a horrible sortof like heartburn and slimming when I drank only 1/2 a marguerita at a nice restaurant and was in the bathroom for 15 minutes, that was fun. I think maybe the achohol and sour mix combo could have been the culpret. So Sorry to here your experience..............:)

OY VEY!!! I am so sorry that happened to you....frig !!

I have 1 cc in a 4 cc band, I can eat pizza, Bagels, you name it and I don't have to chew all that well (yeah I know, its gonna backfire).

I'm really glad I read this because it scared the chit out of me. I know my day is coming and I better take heed.

I think we should change PB to Productive Bubble (sounds like a rock band) lol.

I gotta ask this... how in the hell does meat tenderizer help if your PBing / or have that golf ball feeling ??? what does it do? can you take if for both?

Learn something new every day dang gum it.

That would have been my guess, too...

So it would work on meat golf balls (really good to know), but not bread golf balls, yes?

Well, as my good friend would say, we are now officially in jackass territory. Again, I'm postulating, but I think the meat tenderizer would work on any food...I'm guessing they call it "meat" tenderizer because no one (besides whacked out bandsters) would ever be interested in tenderizing bread.< /p>

LOL - never thought about this. See - I had my hair highlighted blonde today for a reason.

This brings up an all important question..

When you PB in public, that has got to be so embarrassing, correct? The last thing people dining out want to see and smell and hear is someone vomiting. I would be in distress from the pain and fear and the embarrassment. What do you all do when this happens in public?

See - I did have a bad experience in a restaurant one time. I had to run out and then I slimed all over the place outside. It was pretty gag me.

Just be prepared to make a clean getaway if need be. Some people say they sit close to a bathroom.... I read one post where someone said carry a baggie in your purse - oooooggggiiiiieeee.

Funny thing is, I now wait a little while after each bite before I take the next - just to make sure everything goes down ok. I know exactly when I'm having a problem (little golfball in my chest feeling) and I NEVER eat another bite until that feeling goes away. Sometimes I even call it a meal and don't eat for a good little while. So far, I've had no more problems - knock wood. I think when I did this in the restaurant I just hadn't learned yet not to pile in another bite when I had that feeling. I'm learning :-).

That would have been my guess, too...

So it would work on meat golf balls (really good to know), but not bread golf balls, yes?

I have never tried it on bread, because I don't eat much bread...honestly, I am scared to try. I would think that it would work the same, but I am only guessing.

I have only had to use the meat tenderizer once. I had a piece of chicken stuck and it was not coming out. I just kept sliming...it was so disgusting! I could not take the pain any longer. I mixed about a teaspoon of the meat tenderizer in about 1/3 coffee cup of luke warm Water. I was only able to swallow maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon of it. That is all it took. It tastes like heavy salt Water. Not good, but INSTANT RELIEF...no joke!

I hear that people use the papaya extract because it is easier to carry when on the go.

Has anyone else tried either of these?

I don't understand PBing in public either. My mother PBs at least once a day (don't EVEN get me started - how many different ways can you say "CHEW YOUR FREAKING FOOD"), and she's never come back from the bathroom embarassed. She was the one trying to convince me to throw up in a trash can on the River Walk before I found the bathroom last weekend. I guess it depends on how sensitive you are. My mom's a nurse, so I guess she could care less if people see her throw up. She pulled over a few days ago and PBed in a park. See, now I'm getting my blood pressure up just typing about it.

Anyway, I second everything Kim said. Before my first PB last week, I had the golfball every day, sometimes every meal. Now I follow the Bandster Golden Two Minute Rule: take your first bite, wait two minutes, then start eating again. I've never had a problem again since implementing this rule. It's hard to remember, especially when you're hungry, but waiting two minutes at the table is better than hugging the toilet for ten.

I'm definitely going to go get some of both. Hey - just asked my husband the science freak and he said that meat tenderizer breaks down Protein.

What is papain? Papain is a protein-cleaving enzyme derived from papaya and certain other plants. Enzymes are complex molecules produced in living organisms to catalyze (speed up) chemical reactions within the cell. (If you have the Chime plugin for viewing three-dimensional molecular structures, you can see a model of the papain molecule here) [1] Why is meat tough? Muscles have to endure a lot of mechanical stress; they are made of strong fibers that make them hard to cut, and tough connective tissue holds them together. Individual muscle cells contain microscopic fibrils that give them their structural integrity and allow them to contract. The fibrils have a complex internal structure bound together by long Protein chains. The connective tissue that holds the muscle together is also mostly protein.

How does papain tenderize meat? Papain cuts the protein chains in the fibrils and also in the connective tissue, disrupting the structural integrity of the muscle Fiber, and tenderizing the meat.

LB - LOL

Here's what Banded in KS said to do ---

"I mixed about a teaspoon of the meat tenderizer in about 1/3 coffee cup of luke warm Water. I was only able to swallow maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon of it. That is all it took. It tastes like heavy salt Water. Not good, but INSTANT RELIEF...no joke!"

Sounds pretty gnarly, but she says it tastes like salt water.