Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

19 And Trying To Figure It All Out

Hello all,

I am trying to get some feedback on how teens have handled lapband. I have seriously been considering it and have done a lot of online research. My biggest concern is how to talk to my parents about it. I have brought up the idea of having the surgery, but the conversation went nowhere. Id also like to know how some of you teens who have had the surgery like it. Do you think it was worth it?

I remember when I was 19 and trying to figure it out!

And I'm not talking about weight loss either! :rolleyes:

Hello all' date='

I am trying to get some feedback on how teens have handled lapband. I have seriously been considering it and have done a lot of online research. My biggest concern is how to talk to my parents about it. I have brought up the idea of having the surgery, but the conversation went nowhere. Id also like to know how some of you teens who have had the surgery like it. Do you think it was worth it?[/quote']

I think finding a surgery online and explaining how lapband differs from bypass would be important.

I wish I had gone for surgery years ago.

I think the hardest question is how over weight are you; and is this new? If you are obese and have been for a long time; that is different than needing to lose 30 ponds.

I know how you feel. Iv been thinking about getting the band since I hit 18. Now I'm 19 & I got banded on 4-4-12. I didn't really tell to my parents about it. I just went along & did everything on my own, they didn't mind since it was for my health. It's only been 2 days & I'm recovering pretty fast. Just sucks that I can't wear jeans yet or leggings. If you really wanna loose weight ill say go for it. It's going to be hard since we are still young & New at this. But I'm learning little by little & remember it will be worth it in the end. :)

I started looking at it when I was 16 because my dad had it when I was 14. When I was 19 I started the process and was banded 3 months before my 20th birthday. Best decision I ever made. I'm 6 months out and down 75 pounds.

I am 18 years old and I had my surgery Thursday September 13th. When I began my journey three weeks ago I was 324lbs and today I weighed in at 304lbs. I have hit many road bumps. After two weeks on the low carb diet I passed a kidney stone which delayed my first surgery date. However I would do this all over again. Just to know that I am 4 (yes 4!!) pounds away from being under 300 lbs has made this surgery worth it. I have not been under 300lbs in almost a year! I was extremely lucky because my parents brought the idea of lap band up to me. They were very nice about it and said they would do anything I wanted to do if it made me happy. (I was extremely depressed) So I looked into it and after just 3 days I know I would make this decision over and over again. Telling people can be difficult but you will be surprised at how many people love the idea after you tell them. They will also ask MANY questions. Don't take offense to this they aren't judging you they just want to understand. I hope everything turns out okay!

I am 18 years old and I had my surgery Thursday September 13th. When I began my journey three weeks ago I was 324lbs and today I weighed in at 304lbs. I have hit many road bumps. After two weeks on the low carb diet I passed a kidney stone which delayed my first surgery date. However I would do this all over again. Just to know that I am 4 (yes 4!!) pounds away from being under 300 lbs has made this surgery worth it. I have not been under 300lbs in almost a year! I was extremely lucky because my parents brought the idea of lap band up to me. They were very nice about it and said they would do anything I wanted to do if it made me happy. (I was extremely depressed) So I looked into it and after just 3 days I know I would make this decision over and over again. Telling people can be difficult but you will be surprised at how many people love the idea after you tell them. They will also ask MANY questions. Don't take offense to this they aren't judging you they just want to understand. I hope everything turns out okay!

Hi there,

I see it says you had surgery with Dr. Weaver. How was your experience? I am doing self pay with him next month and was wondering how it went! Any feedback would be great! Congrats & good luck on your journey!

I am 16 and had my surgery on 10/19/12 (9 days ago). I have already lost 22 pounds! My mom got the lap band 8 years ago, and has lost (and kept off) 150 pounds! I was tired of struggling with my weight, and I knew this was one of the best things I could have done for myself. Yes, I am young, but I have my mom who can guide me through living with the lap band. So far, it's been nothing, but a blessing! Good luck on getting yours(-:

My surgery went great! I did self pay as well! Dr weavers staff is amazing. They have been extremely supportive and have gone above and beyond to make me feel comfortable. I could not have chosen a better surgeon!

hey!

The best way to inform your parents that you want to get a lapband done is for you to be sure that you really want to get this surgery done. No matter what other people tell you. There will be people that are going to tell you that you are crazy and they won't understand why you want this. This happened to me earlier this year. Another thing you can do is compair other similar surgerys.

Good Luck! :)

I got the lapband when I was 19, I am 22 now. I love it so much and my parents were so supportive. The conversation started when I got the free information packet from lapband in the mail

I am 18 and had my surgery three days ago. Im already healing and i havent lost any weight yet (because probably im swollen and still healing) but i feel better and the pre op diet helped me lose 13lbs.

Get the free info packet online, and use it to talk with your parents.