Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters Reunion

We had a good thread going a while back of people who were banded in August. Since it's been six months, I thought it would be helpful for all of us to get an update.

Any takers?

As for me, my weight loss has been slow -- most of it came immediately following surgery and my two fills. No complaints. I'm now at 1.8 cc.

I've had some issues with reflux, gas and not getting enough Fiber in. (Read into that whatever you want!) After this last fill, I've had some vomiting episodes. I don't think I'm too tight...but that I eat too much too fast. All the rules are so true. Eat slow. Eat Protein first. Take tiny bites. Exercise. Get your Water in.

All in all, I'm thrilled to have lost what I have. If I don't lose another pound it will have been worth it. There are stops and starts and lots of learning curves, but I'll get there. Thanks for being here!

Elizabeth

8/28/03

I'm approaching 6 months also, and am almost exactly where you are. My loss is between 32 and 35 lbs and has been stable for about two months now. I'm not unhappy with it, but think I need more restriction so I'm going for my second fill this week. I'll admit to a bit of nervousness about it--since I almost never get anything stuck anymore I'm worried about forgetting how careful I must be to prevent it after the fill.

But these 32+ pounds lost have made a huge difference in my life! I'm down several sizes in clothes and have reclaimed my entire "thin" wardrobe from the depths of my closet. Some of them are even too large (these are clothes in size 24--I've never been what anyone would call "thin" ).

I don't look any different to myself, though people who haven't seen me in a while do notice a difference. And my husband says I'm a lot easier to wrap his arms around now. :confused:

I'm loving this band thing, and am so glad I was given this chance to get control over this lifelong affliction of morbid obesity. On to the second 6 months! :(:D

I was banded the month before, in July...

Its been a great journey for me also. Being banded really has changed my life!

Hi I was banded on Aug.4th and am down fluctuating between 35-40lbs. I go for a fill the 27th, I had the first fill in Sept. and had pretty good restriction until Jan. now some days I can eat to much except bread and some meats. Since Christmas I've pretty much have been at this wt. so it's time to start losing again. Roxanne

Hello Everyone!! February 20th will be 6 months for me and I have lost between 35-37 lbs. My last fill was Jan 9th and I have lost between 5-7 lbs since then. I am not planning on getting a fill since I have been having a hard time eating. I guess I am kinda content where I am at. I think the fill is getting a little tighter as the time passes. My weight chart says I need to loose another 40 lbs, but sometimes I think the chart is nuts. Time will tell. Glad to hear everyone is well. Take care!!!!!!

Hi I was banded August 7,2003. I am down 42lbs. & I have about 7-10 lbs more to my goal weight. I am very happy with my band & hope to lose the last stubborn pounds in the next 2 months.

Mary

Hi August Bandsters!!!!

i will have my 6 month BANDIVERSARY on 2-18-04! i have had 10+ fills and have had problems getting restriction. i am now at 4.1 cc in a 4.0 cc band with pretty good restriction although i can still eat any meat pretty much anything. i have lost 40 pounds to date and i cant complain about that!!!!

i tried the not dieting thing and letting the band 'work for me' and it did to some extent~ i never gained any weight but i didnt lose either. the only weight i have lost has been through diet and exercise. now that i have restriction we'll see how it works combined with diet and exercise.

NSV so far:

*not fearing ANY seat- movie, booth, chair with arms

*starting size 30/32 current size 22 have even fit into a few 20's

*rings that were to tight before surgery are now to loose!!!!

*love life~ i leave that one alone but it is improved!

*not being the biggest person at winter banquet this year!

*increased energy and productivity (losing seems to motivate me??)

*exercising- i actually enjoy it now! and i am building some stamina!

*being able to pull of a few SEXY clothes!

:confused: August 14, 2003 changed by life!

I Hit my first goal, Drum-roll please....199 :( I'm officially under 200, Down 45 in 6 months... and about 50 to go.

The best part is I fit into a pair of size 14 stretch hip-hugger jeans. (no waist-band helps) I am so jazzed.

I personally want to THANK all the people on this Forum for all the support, advice and care you've shown me.

Without this web-site I would have been lost, all the information has been so helpful.

"I'm in One-derland"

Congratulations to all of us:cool:

I remember when I first hit 199... the feeling is so good!

And whats best is that it can only get better! It feels good to try on new clothes and it actually fits! I can actually wear a size 34 pants now. Its a little tight but I haven't been able to fit a size 34 for ages :confused:

Hi Everyone

Another August Bandster reporting in. Today (2/12) is exactly 6 months since I started the 2 week preband diet, with surgery on 8/26. I am thrilled to report that I have lost 82 pounds!

I do feel a little guilty, as this is much, much more than I expected, and I don't want to make others feel they they are not doing well. However, I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others and all of us should be congratulated for being on-track and working for our own goals.

I HAVE worked hard at this process. I just had my 4th fill and so far, seem to be very tight. I don't want to get too tight, as I have been losing well, and have been eating a good amount of food. Since I have a lot more to lose, I don't want to be too restricted yet.

Not to sound like a whiner, since I know that I've done very well, but even with 80 plus pounds lost, there are still frustrations. Just yesterday, someone took a candid photo of me at work which was just awful. It made me feel like I hadn't lost anything. I still have a long, long way to go (100 more pounds, hopefully), so of course, I'm going to still look fat. But I have to keep in perspective that I have lost 80 and have a great start!

Hoping that all of us will report back with positive results over the next 6 months!

Take care.

Mary

Mary,

Could you please tell me what the two week "pre-banding" diet is? I haven't heard of this. Of course, maybe it's something they tell you about after you have a surgery date (which I don't yet, I'm still waiting for insurance approval). Thanks, and you have done a GREAT job! WOW! 82 lbs in 6 mo......sigh....if I can be so lucky!:rolleyes:

Hey everybody, I'm another one who's been MIA in awhile. Today I realized it's been almost 6 months since I started the August Bandsters thread, and now here's this one. Great to see everyone losing. Even if it's less than you wanted, keep your head up and don't give up!! As for me, I am very frustrated. I am down 49 lbs since Aug29th, and truthfully, I wish it were more. Clothes doesn't seem to be getting smaller anymore, but I do feel better. I fit in places I didn't fit before.

My new goal, get to 200 by Aug29th. I am more than half way there.

Good luck to all of you!!!

Kim, since Mary hasn't popped back in yet I'll answer your question. Many doctors ask patients to stick to liquids and/or avoid fats completely for a week or so before banding, in order to lose some weight and possibly shrink the liver prior to surgery. My doctor and lots of others I've heard of don't subscribe to that requirement, and so for a lot of people there is no pre-band diet.

Thanks for responding, Alexandra. I've been out of town for a few days and not near a computer.

I agree with what Alexandra answered. My doctor did request a low fat diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery - and I did lose weight. So I count my weight loss from the start of the dieting.

Mary

I am so glad to see my 35 pound weightloss seems to be normal at 6 months. I had been so depressed. I went to a support group in my area. I thought it would make me feel better, but it made me feel worse. You can always see others weight loss before your own I guess. My husband had his done the same day as mine and he has lost 48 so, that depressed me too, of course, I am happy for him and he has a lot less to lose then me. I started at 282. He was 250. I had my second fill about 6 weeks ago and everyone told me I would really lose after that one and I have only lost 5 and that was in the first few days. I have been up and down since then. I have to admit though I think my husband's second fill was larger than mine. I don't know the percentage of my fill. I have been trying to not get a fill until I feel I can't handle it anymore, I think though i will have to get my third soon.

Main problem I have with the lap band........unhealthy food goes down great. Stuff that is good for you I have a problem with