Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am 1 week post op and have lost 8kg (17 ponds) in one week! I don't think that is normal? I have stuck very strictly to the clear fluids and have another 3 weeks to go on the clears! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining just after some feedback on other people's weight loss in their first week.

and you are still able to type? wow for me that seems like a lot, I would check with your md to make sure he thinkss everything is ok, if it then great job!

Ate you sure it's 3 more weeks of clears? Not just liquids? Big difference between Clear Liquids and full liquids.

I've read somewhere here someone misread their post op instructions and was on clears far longer than the MD intended.

Congrats on your weight loss!

worth a call to your dr's office to tell them about the one week loss and to clarify the post-op diet - i agree that the clears should only be a few days and then it's full liquids for a week or two after that but again clarify with dr.

I think I am mistaking clear and full fluids. I am now on smoothies And milk products so that means full fluids for next month. Not as bad as the clear fluids bit still getting quite hungry!

Thanks for replys by the way!

It sounds like you have it resolved but I think it also depends on how much weight you have to lose. Once you start with the liquids and then mushies you will see the weight loss decrease and then the hard work sets in! Congrats on your weight loss so far!

Hi all,

I am 1 week post op and have lost 8kg (17 ponds) in one week! I don't think that is normal? I have stuck very strictly to the clear fluids and have another 3 weeks to go on the clears! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining just after some feedback on other people's weight loss in their first week.

thats pretty good going for a week... wow. i dont know whether thats normal or not... but i would be pleased to have that. lol. you are feeling o.k. though? thats the main thing.

Hi all' date='

I am 1 week post op and have lost 8kg (17 ponds) in one week! I don't think that is normal? I have stuck very strictly to the clear fluids and have another 3 weeks to go on the clears! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining just after some feedback on other people's weight loss in their first week.[/quote']

Hayden, you may have been diuresing from surgery. They can dump 3 or 4 liters of Fluid in you during surgery.. And it takes up to a week for your kidneys to catch up. Did you notice any ankle swelling or bloated feeling early in the week that is now resolved?

I lost 16 my first week. I agree that the more you have to lose the more you lose in the beginning. My doctor thought it was fine and it definitely slowed way down after that. Definitely check with your Dr. to make sure but otherwise keep it up! :lol:

I was concerned about the same thing. I lost 17 from the day after surgery the first week. My doctor said as long as I am staying hydrated, then it is fine. I was told that it will slow down once we start mushies. Of that loss, 7 of it was liquids from the IV, so if you look at it that way it is a less drastic looking number. However it is a lower number on my scale so that's great to me!!

Congrats on your success so far!

I was concerned about the same thing. I lost 17 from the day after surgery the first week. My doctor said as long as I am staying hydrated, then it is fine. I was told that it will slow down once we start mushies. Of that loss, 7 of it was liquids from the IV, so if you look at it that way it is a less drastic looking number. However it is a lower number on my scale so that's great to me!!

Congrats on your success so far!

ive lost 12 and im only 3 days out. i hadnt weighed myself when i first came home. i only know what my weight was before i went in. im just amazed, i really am. im hydrated.. drinking a lot. im so pleased to see such quick results though.

Wow. Awesome Judy!

I lost 16 lbs the first week. After that I was pretty constantly at the 2lbs a week, for a total now of 87 lbs and I am only 7 lbs away from onederland. I want it so badly. Just remember to enjoy the beginning cause the more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off. The closer you get to your goal the harder you have to work at it. Also my Dr shared with me that on average lap band patients only lose 50 to 60 % of their excess weight. This is coming from drs pooling their patient records so its pretty reliable. I am 75% .

I lost 16 lbs the first week. After that I was pretty constantly at the 2lbs a week, for a total now of 87 lbs and I am only 7 lbs away from onederland. I want it so badly. Just remember to enjoy the beginning cause the more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off. The closer you get to your goal the harder you have to work at it. Also my Dr shared with me that on average lap band patients only lose 50 to 60 % of their excess weight. This is coming from drs pooling their patient records so its pretty reliable. I am 75% .

Sorry about this posting a million times. I think my phone had a nervous breakdown.

Wow. Awesome Judy!

yes, thanks.. lol.. im amazed, and im stoked. lol. so is my husband. im feeling better in the feet already. its amazing what a difference those few pounds make . i knew there would be improvement but didnt think it would be so soon. ive got about 90 lbs to lose all up. that will take me back to my teens weight. not sure whether i will got that far, we shall see how i respond. its exciting, to be sure.