Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine And Protein

My two biggest struggles since being banded in Feb. 2012 is not being able to stomach my morning diet dew and also getting in all my Protein. I have found Crystal Light Energy which has as much caffeine as 2 cans of mt. dew. It is delicious. I also love love love the Special K Protein Water mix in strawberry kiwi- 5 g protein and 5 g Fiber per 16oz bottle of Water. In my area, I can only find these products at Wal-Mart. After awhile, Protein shakes seriously grossed me out!

Has anyone out there tried they two products?

I was also banded on Feb 2012, and i tell you its been very hard for me to get all my protein.. the new products i have had is the Glucerna hunger smart shakes which i love the flavor and that i can keep it down. I also take the Crystal light energy and i love it.

You are really not suppose to drink carbonated beverages (soda). The Doc says it can cause damage to your pouch! The crystal light would be a much better choice. The Protein can come from food or drinks. I use my fitness pal to keep track of how much I get from everything.

I still have my coffee in the am. I've never been a soda fan which has made the band journey easier... most doctors don't want you to have the carbonation. I'm a huge fan of the premier nutrition Protein Shakes from costco. 30 grams of Protein and only 160 calories and 5 carbs. I drink one every morning. I've tried the special K Water packets.....pretty tasty but not enough protein for me to really count it as a protein source. I need a liquid in the morning since I'm tighter then so the shakes work great for me. Sometimes, mid-morning, I'll have half of a chobani yogurt or some cottage cheese if I get hungry before lunch. Usually the shake holds me but some days I get a growly stomach before lunch.

Some doctors are totally against coffee and I'm glad mine isn't. I love everything about coffee...the smell, the sound while it's brewing, the taste, etc. Now, I don't drink as much as I used to because my natural energy level is so much better now that I'm down 50 lbs. If I don't drink a cup, I get a headache. i choose to have the best single cup I can get my hands on. I've given up a lot of treats and splurges since being banded and it's been 100% worth it but I'm not giving up a good cup of coffee! :)

My doctor is pretty laid back on most of the rules that I see people have on here. But he was adamant about not having ANY carbonation. Which was incredibly hard for me since I used to drink about 10-12 diet cokes a day. My doc said that caffeine was fine and that it would not affect the band. However some people say that since it is a stimulant that it may make u hungry....other studies say that it helps not make you hungry....so I would say do what works best for you...however I would definitely stay away from carbonated beverages as it could stretch your pouch and that would be disappointing to go through all this to not get the full benefit of the band.

I am not drinking pop - i brought it up since it was my morning caffeine drink! Not much of a coffee drinker, but love diet pop! For people like me who can't drink pop anymore, I think the crystal light is a nice alternative.

New whey is a great product to get your Protein in. 42 grams in just 4oz. Plus they taste nothing like the Protein powders. They are more like kool-aid. I divided the bottle into 2 servings.

so I mix

2oz New Whey

1 crystal light flavoring

8-10 oz Water

blenderize with lots of ice

I like to make a slushy by mixing

grape New Whey/grade crystal light or acai berry new Whey/blackberry-grape great value or watermellon New whey /cherry crystal light

Where can I purchase new whey because that sounds like a great way for me to get my Protein in. I am having an extremely difficult time getting enough protein in because when I eat or drink a little of anything my stomach feels completely full. I just am not hungry at all. I was banded on March 20. Thanks

New Whey is a great product to get your Protein in. 42 grams in just 4oz. Plus they taste nothing like the Protein powders. They are more like kool-aid. I divided the bottle into 2 servings.

so I mix

2oz new whey

1 crystal light flavoring

8-10 oz Water

blenderize with lots of ice

I like to make a slushy by mixing

grape New Whey/grade crystal light or acai berry new Whey/blackberry-grape great value or watermellon New Whey /cherry crystal light

I have seen those in the store but i was afraid to use i think i will try them to see how it taste

Walmart sells a few flavors. you can buy them on Amazon in larger quantities. They have definately made it easier for me to get to 60 grams thats for sure. Theyare about 2.50 each , but I get 2 servings in each...so thats about $1.25 a serving where the powder Protein was about $1 a serving.

I love the special k Water Fiber Protein mix. I bought it before surgery and I can't remember where. I've been back to Walmart looked at their diet shake isle and at the crystal light isle can't find it. Sad.

Thanks for the heads up on the NewWhey product, I sent the link for the main site to my Lapband Dr. to see what he thinks of it and discuss it with him at my next visit. Kind of pricey but I am amazed they pack that much Protein into such a little shot....

Thanks for the heads up on the NewWhey product, I sent the link for the main site to my Lapband Dr. to see what he thinks of it and discuss it with him at my next visit. Kind of pricey but I am amazed they pack that much Protein into such a little shot....

If you decide to use them, get them from Walmart. They don't carry all the flavors, but they are not nearly as pricy.

If you decide to use them, get them from Walmart. They don't carry all the flavors, but they are not nearly as pricy.

Thanks so much, will keep my eyes peeled for them! :)