Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had another fill on Thursday. Down 2 pounds, so just under 20 since December. Doctor is happy with this, mentioned my incisions are healing nicely, and would like to me to start eating in the mornings. I usually go with a Protein Shake first thing, because I do not like to eat when I first get up, and I have to be to work BY six, so any earlier, and I would need to be in bed fairly early in the evening to be up earlier. I told him about this, but he stood firm that I should be avoiding Protein Shakes and focusing on food. I know other WLS patients (non-banded) still use them, so why are bandsters being steered away from them after the initial phase? Anyone else in my boat?

Dr's prefer you to eat your calories not drink them. The band is designed to work with solid food not liquids, however lots of bandsters are too tight to eat in the morning so they have a shake for Breakfast. Maybe you could have yogurt instead and he might be happier with that.

My doctor does not want me to have Protein Shakes either. I go with yogurt, if you are still having trouble even with yogurt they do have drinkable ones

I was working a job that I had to leave my house at 7 and had an hour drive. Luckily I had the type of job where I could eat at my desk when I got there. I would have greek yogurt; and in a baggie bring the following to mix in: half scoop vanilla whey isolate Protein powder, tsp benefiber, splendra. This makes the yogurt even thicker. In a second baggie I would carry 1/4 cup Kashi Go lean high Protein Cereal. This makes for a really thick mushie.

Doctors are concerned that someone will have a Protein shake and being liquid be hungry a hour later. Then the person will be tempted to eat that donut because they are starving and it's hours until lunch.

I've been having shakes (homemade smoothies) everyday for breakfast since before being banded, 13 months ago.

I cannot eat anything n the morning.

Plus, I get more Protein, less carbs, than eating eggs and everything that mau go with it.

What my Dr. Doesn't know won't hurt him.

Dr's prefer you to eat your calories not drink them. The band is designed to work with solid food not liquids, however lots of bandsters are too tight to eat in the morning so they have a shake for breakfast. Maybe you could have yogurt instead and he might be happier with that.

This is what I have been told by my doctor too. She said it a phenomenon of the band and not unusual that people can't intake much food in the AM. And none of my medical people have dissuaded me from using Protein shakes as part of my diet.

I am not usually hungry and if I do go with solid food, can't get anything worthwhile down. So I am one of those Protein Shake for breakfast. I do get half of my Protein in for the day this way!

Had another fill on Thursday. Down 2 pounds' date=' so just under 20 since December. Doctor is happy with this, mentioned my incisions are healing nicely, and would like to me to start eating in the mornings. I usually go with a Protein shake first thing, because I do not like to eat when I first get up, and I have to be to work BY six, so any earlier, and I would need to be in bed fairly early in the evening to be up earlier. I told him about this, but he stood firm that I should be avoiding Protein shakes and focusing on food. I know other WLS patients (non-banded) still use them, so why are bandsters being steered away from them after the initial phase? Anyone else in my boat?[/quote']

My doctor never steered me away from Protein Shakes in the AM. That's all I could have in the morning, due to being tight, up until a month ago (I need a fill). If that's what YOU want he shouldn't have a problem with it. After all, you are the one paying him. It's not like you're eating donuts every morning. It's funny you mention this because one time I went in for an appt. and told the PA I had Cereal for breakfast. She stated you should try to stay away from that because of carbs. I laughed a little and said okay, but NEVER gave up my cereal because this is my body. If I could follow a low carb lifestyle, I probably wouldn't have needed a band. Just talk to him about your work schedule and let him know you simply don't have the time. I don't have time either, I usually have some grapes and a protein or Fiber bar, if I even eat breakfast. I don't see why a medical professional wouldn't respect your personal decision that's not negatively affecting your health, weight loss, or the band.

I stopped drinking Protein Shakes in the morning and the nutritionist told me I needed to. Crazy how everyone's medical staff is different...so I do have the Protein shakes during the week and cereal on the weekends!

My PA just gave me a hard time about this...saying im not enabling the band to do what its supposed to. The shake keeps me satisfied just fine until lunch, I dont WANT anything else, so wheres the harm? Weird how that works. Ill keep drinking my calories & Protein if they keep me full..

I'm a mom of two so usually morning are a little crazy, so my breakfast consist of one scoop of Isopure "zero carb" Protein Powder (1 scoopful = 25g of protein) Cookies & cream flavor and I blend it with one snack size apple, and 3-4 strawberries. That way it makes it thick and I'm full for hours. And it also taste really good.

maybe just give solids a try for a week or so ? bananas, sliced apple, nuts, yogurt, 1/2 of a Protein Bar , or my personal favorite , turkey jerkey ! ( high Protein, low in fat and calories.)