Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Makes 5 Years....we Should Be Excited Right?!?

Well it doesn't seem like many of us are still here even though we are at the 5 year mark. It's so hard to believe we have come this far. Well it hurts me to say that at almost 5 years in...my band has slipped. Despite everything, I have truly enjoyed this journey. I would not be where I am now if it were not for my band which is why I am so afraid of losing it. I go for a second upper GI in two days to take a look at the band again. I am hoping and praying for the best.

Even though our forum has wittled away I still remember so many of you and the triumphs and disappointments we have shared. I hope all of you are doing well!!!

Good luck with your slip. I hope it works out well for you and you're able to keep your band and keep moving on.

It is very common for people to come and go from online forums, no matter the topic. This place seems pretty busy now though...

Hi Tammy,

i know...i cant believe it is 5 years since being banded. My life is completely different from then. I've kept the weight off that I lost. It's a daily commitment. I'm really working on head hunger.... exercise is the key for me to stay on track. i'm addicted to sugar. But keep on keepin' on. And life is so good without all of the weight i carried around before the band.

I'm sorry about your band slipping. My doctor actually moved back to Israel so i dont even know who i would go to if i were to have an issue.

Anyway...good luck ...

josie

Thanks Patyann...I hope so too!

Good hearing from you Josie! The complications thread is a bit of a downer. The marchies thread has always been so encouraging. I am so glad to hear that you are still doing well with your band 5 years later. I have to have mine removed for 3 months before I have another band put in. I am actually okay with this. I will do my best to maintain my weight during those 3 months, but I will take another band in a heartbeat if I am not successful.

Im not a march 07er but you can do it Tammy! Its not such a big deal gor three months, i had almost nine unfilled and it wa wearing thin by then, and granted, i had chemotherapy to help me keep my weight in check, lol, bit I really njoyed big salads and crunchy apples and wholegrain bread rolls, sty away from the crap and fill up on those healthy foods that as bandsters w can have touble eating and you will be abolutely fine for three months. And if course, exercise!

That is definitely my plan Jachut....healthy eating and exercise. Thanks for the encouragement...I am truly going to need it! And so glad to see that you are doing well too after all these years...

Hi Tammy, 5 years can you believe it. I so wish all the others would chime in and tell us how they are doing. I am so sorry to hear about your slipped band. Mine has slipped twice, now I have it still in there just hanging way down. My restriction is all over the place but for the most part it is pretty loose. Can you keep yours in can they try to slide it up? You have done amazingly well with the lapband your just about at goal and have kept the weight off so you DO have will power girl. Do you feel you have learned from this journey? I know I have. I am actually 12 lbs up and started Atkins to jump start the weight back down. I have had a pretty stressful year, DH and I both losing jobs, trying not to lose the house, mom has dementia yada yada, I am a stress eater so here I go. But if you start to go back to the old way you have to put on the brakes. it can creep up so fast.

Please keep us posted.

Hey people we would love to hear how you are doing, and one with plastic surgery?

Hi Janine so glad to hear you are still in good spirits even though you have had a few problems these past 5 years. They had me wait 6 weeks to see if the band would reposition itself but they never said anything about sliding it up. Probably because they feel that it is necassary to replace the old 4cc band that I have because supposedly it is more prone to slippage. I will be getting the new AP 10cc Lapband. I am a little nervous, but willing to go through it all over again because for the most part my band has been good to me :-)

Hi, glad to see some familiar faces and names. Just stopping by and I'll be back to update on my journey.

Good luck and don't give up.

Well it doesn't seem like many of us are still here even though we are at the 5 year mark. It's so hard to believe we have come this far. Well it hurts me to say that at almost 5 years in...my band has slipped. Despite everything' date=' I have truly enjoyed this journey. I would not be where I am now if it were not for my band which is why I am so afraid of losing it. I go for a second upper GI in two days to take a look at the band again. I am hoping and praying for the best.

Even though our forum has wittled away I still remember so many of you and the triumphs and disappointments we have shared. I hope all of you are doing well!!![/quote']

I'm sorry to hear about your band slipping :/ why does that happen? Hang in there! Good luck!

Thank you Andi. There are many reasons a band may slip. In my case, I had one or the original bands that are more prone to slippage. It was the small 4cc band that is not used in the U.S. anymore. Along with that, I have to take some responsibility for my band slipping. I got real sloppy with my eating...eating on the go, not chewing well, eating too fast. Overtime all of this takes a toll on the band.

hey tammyj,

please keep updating us. i like you am happy i was banded. i am totally unfilled for the past 1 1/2 years and still have restriction. i've learned to live with it. i'm just hoping it doesnt slip.

but like you...i really love my life without that extra 100 lbs on me.

i'm doing better with my head hunger.... it is a one day at a time commitment.

so keep us posted and i'm praying for your journey in the next few weeks..

josie

Hi Josiebies! That is great that your are still hanging in there even with no fill. I had my slip fixed last week along with a hernia that I believe was the culprit for the problems I've been having the last few years. I am feeling much better and hoping this will be a long term fix. I agree with you that it feels great to be 100lbs lighter and I'm doing whatever I can to keep it that way!

Hey Tammyj, glad to hear all is well with you after your surgery. Sometimes things come to light that may have well stayed hidden. It seems like you may not of been aware that you had a hernia. Had your band not have slipped, it may not been found and would of given you serious issues.

But, you're back on the way to losing weight again. You'll be at your goal weight in a few months. Then onto maintaining your weight. I know what it's like to lose that 100 lbs. But didn't keep it off for long.

So, good luck and keep us updated about your second time around.