Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post-Op, Still No Bm And Hunger Issues?

So I had my lap band/hernia repair on Tuesday and I still have not had a Bowel Movement. I am growing concerned because the Citracel that I have been drinking has not done anything for me. Is this normal? I know that my doctor said Constipation was going to be an issue but I don't feel backed up (sorry for the vulgar description) or anything. Anybody else worry about this 4 days post-op?

I am still in a lot of pain and I unfortunately have to go back to work on Tuesday. I feel hunger and none of the liquids seem to be holding me over. I don't know what I got myself into it seems. HELP?

Thanks,

Allie

So I had my lap band/hernia repair on Tuesday and I still have not had a Bowel Movement. I am growing concerned because the Citracel that I have been drinking has not done anything for me. Is this normal? I know that my doctor said Constipation was going to be an issue but I don't feel backed up (sorry for the vulgar description) or anything. Anybody else worry about this 4 days post-op?

I am still in a lot of pain and I unfortunately have to go back to work on Tuesday. I feel hunger and none of the liquids seem to be holding me over. I don't know what I got myself into it seems. HELP?

Thanks' date='

Allie[/quote']

Remember, if your not eating, your not going to poop. Just make sure you are drinking fluids, taking your pain medication and you can try to introduce some applesauce or blended oatmeal. Everything I ate for 2 weeks post op was thrown in a blender. It was also only a bite or two at a time. This will help with the hunger. Unfortunately, the psychological aspect of not eating "real foods" is difficult and can cause more hunger then physical hunger pains. At least that is what I have experienced. You will start to feel better soon! Everyday is a new day! Good luck on your journey!

Remember, if your not eating, your not going to poop. Just make sure you are drinking fluids, taking your pain medication and you can try to introduce some applesauce or blended oatmeal. Everything I ate for 2 weeks post op was thrown in a blender. It was also only a bite or two at a time. This will help with the hunger. Unfortunately, the psychological aspect of not eating "real foods" is difficult and can cause more hunger then physical hunger pains. At least that is what I have experienced. You will start to feel better soon! Everyday is a new day! Good luck on your journey!

can i ask?? when you say that everything that you ate immediate post op... what sort of foods were they?/ was it more than Clear Liquids? / im concerned that im going to feel the same way. Im going to buy milk of magnesium. someone said here that it was good to take from day one... any thoughts on that one??

I went 10 days with no bm. Finally, on the 10th night I took 2 Dulcolax, and the 11th day...FINALLY! Really wasn't much there (not trying to be too graphic here) but I figured liquids in, liquids out. There really weren't any solids going in to produce much of a bm, I guess?

I am 3 months post op and still having problems with BM's. If I don't take something I can go all week without going. I found milk of magnesia works well. Also, pain meds will back you up. Good luck!

For the hunger I would recommend having your Soup, waiting as long as you can before having your Protein shake. Try to mess with your headhunger a bit. I found if I ate everything at once it would seem like forever (4 hours) before I got to have something else.

Someone mentioned blending everything the first two weeks. I was on clears for 7 and then full liquids for another seven. No mushies until day 15 for me.

I also was banded on 3/13/12 I was worried yesterday because I hadn't had a bm so I took milk of magnesia and last night I finally had a bm. I would recommend taking some to help you out.

The liquid post-op diet won't satisfy. Some people aren't hungry post, some are. I woke up hungry! By day three of clears, I was ready to eat my dog. When my doctor called the evening of day three I told him so, and said the dog was just lucky he could move faster than I. Doctor took pity on my dog and let me move to a full liquid diet.

Clear liquids go right through the band. If you don't have much internal swelling, then even Protein shakes will go right through. Some people experience a bit of restriction right away due to their anatomy or swelling, some don't. I did not. Those couple weeks of post-op before I got back to real foods were not fun. It wasn't as bad as the pre-op, but close.

And as others have said, Milk of Mag for the bowels works very well. Just a sip should do it.

Feel better soon!

Miralax will help with your BM. I have some in stock already because I get banded on the 28th (so excited)! I've had surgery on my collarbone before and I went 12 days without a BM and had to be hospitalized. I had taken EVERYTHING, except Miralax. My dad is a pharmacist, and swears it will do the trick.

can i ask?? when you say that everything that you ate immediate post op... what sort of foods were they?/ was it more than clear liquids?/ im concerned that im going to feel the same way. Im going to buy milk of magnesium. someone said here that it was good to take from day one... any thoughts on that one??

My diet consisted of a lot of liquid, the shakes, Water, etc. first couple of days I didn't even want to eat, I looked at it and wanted to vomit. When I started feeling better, the blender became my friend. Per my post op diet and my surgeons/dieticians recommendations, I was able to introduce cream of wheat, Jello, Soup and even egg etc. Anything that was comfortable. Of course, it was all put in blender and liquified. Must be able to fall off of a spoon, and i was able to only take a bite or two. Like i said before though, the head hunger and psychological aspects of not eating "real" food was difficult.

Thanks' date='

Allie[/quote']

Be careful of psychological hunger... my doctor said something that made a lot of sense to me...the gist of it was that For obese people hunger is more often an emotion rather than a physical need..that being said, hunger should be treated like anger when you feel it. Sometimes anger is healthy, sometimes it's not... But no matter what you don't go shoot the person who made you angry because this has all sorts of horrible consequences, you figure out how to "manage" it. Do i harm myself with food just because I feel hungry? Or do I "manage" it? Kind of a light Bulb moment for me. When I look in the mirror right now ( pre band, on pre op diet) I know the fact is that I am not starving, though it certainly feels that way at times. So when I feel hunger, I stop, count to ten, and think of ways to handle it correctly. When I have my band, after the first six weeks it will be a "hunger management" tool... I see this phase (pre op) as the "motivation" phase. I'm motivated by the prospect of surgery and a future with some "help" in place. After my band is in place will be the real test of what ive managed to learn pre op, this will be the "dedication" phase.

I know you can do this. In the big picture, weeks are nothing. You likely has struggled with your weight

I really appreciate all the feedback! I went to the store and bought milk of magnesia. I'm hoping it will do the trick!

As for the hunger, I feel like it is getting a little better. I drank about 8 oz. of Water and now I feel so bloated, thinking about eating makes me want to hurl. The mental hunger is going to be a struggle for me but I feel as though it will get easier to control once I have experienced it enough. I am still confused as to what the difference is but I think eventually I will be able to tell the difference. I still have not had a BM but I just took it so I'm not expecting immediate results. :} Water makes me feel very bloated, anyone else experience this? I just want to lay like a beach whale after a glass of water....

I have Constipation problems ever since I got the band. I will go days without using the bathroom. I'm not in any pain or discomfort so I just wait until I have to go. Don't know if that is a problem or not.

Milk of magnesia is a lifesaver! And won't make you have cramping.

For the hunger I would recommend having your Soup, waiting as long as you can before having your Protein Shake. Try to mess with your headhunger a bit. I found if I ate everything at once it would seem like forever (4 hours) before I got to have something else.

Someone mentioned blending everything the first two weeks. I was on clears for 7 and then full liquids for another seven. No mushies until day 15 for me.

and thats me as well... no mushies until day 15. it seems like forever to be on just liquids.