Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Will They Know If I Ate Something?!??

Ok so im freaking out like last night i broke down and ate something that wasnt my liquid food -_- i have the surgery on the 27th and i get blood work done this monday. Will they know if i DO NOT do it again?!!? I didnt mean to its just soo hard but worth it which is why im not doing it again i just broke.. Im only human. But will they know????

HI.All surgeons are different but as a guide..

I had a choice of pre op diet but the total time is 2 weeks. The standard diet they( at the hospital i've used) ask you to follow is 'the milk and yoghurt' diet but I don't eat yoghurt or milkshakes so was given 2 other diet sheets. One is a basic 3 meal 1,000-1,200calorie a day sheet and the other is fluids, 3 fruits a day and 2 meals of steamed chicken/salmon with tonnes of veggies(no milk allowed).

I'm 2 days in on the calorie counting one and have lost 3-4lb. As I haven't been told to lose a specific amount of weight, I had to push the co-ordinator to give me a figure to focus on. She said If I haven't lost 4-5lb after the first week, to really try the milk diet for the last week.

Not everyone can manage the Fluid diet but if you step up with your exercise, you will more than compensate any 'blips' along the way.

They won't know you have eaten one thing bad from your blood test( I'm a nurse I know) but can check your liver function test which should be lower than a recent test just by the fact you have been dieting and eating less carbs overall xx

My post was based on what I have learnt from fellow patients at my hospital but obviously it is just for info and every surgeon have their own criteria xx

My post was based on what I have learnt from fellow patients at my hospital but obviously it is just for info and every surgeon have their own criteria xx

Thanks i feel better now(: I have to eat nasty bariatric food replacements its disgusting but i MUST do it:/ No more break downs from now onXD

(chuckling),,,its not as if there is a team of espionage agents waiting at the end of your esaphogas keeping records of what you ate.

The point of the liquids is to give your insides a chance to heal without too much burden on your digestive system....No, I don't think anyone is going to know what you ate... but if you feel this guilty, call your docs and confess. tell them it was a mistake.. a moment of weakness... and you promise you'll be better... (still chucklin)...but better than that.. stop beating yourself up about this.. we are human.. call your doc and get an understanding of why they expect you to eat this special diet.. and what falling off the wagon will do.... so you get the motivation to get back to the diet... (trust me, we all had our moment...)

(chuckling),,,its not as if there is a team of espionage agents waiting at the end of your esaphogas keeping records of what you ate.

The point of the liquids is to give your insides a chance to heal without too much burden on your digestive system....No, I don't think anyone is going to know what you ate... but if you feel this guilty, call your docs and confess. tell them it was a mistake.. a moment of weakness... and you promise you'll be better... (still chucklin)...but better than that.. stop beating yourself up about this.. we are human.. call your doc and get an understanding of why they expect you to eat this special diet.. and what falling off the wagon will do.... so you get the motivation to get back to the diet... (trust me, we all had our moment...)

Its just i would want anything like eating 1 peice of cornbread (couldnt help myself lmao) come between finally getting my surgery DX I think im ok now.. But thanks anyway(:

If you think the stuff is so nasty, why don't you find another replacement? I personally am planning on using my stuff after (like Protein Shakes on the go), and am satisfied that the ones I'm on will work for me whenever I need them.

If you think the stuff is so nasty, why don't you find another replacement? I personally am planning on using my stuff after (like Protein shakes on the go), and am satisfied that the ones I'm on will work for me whenever I need them.

The paper i got from my doctors only had bariatric and another brand like it. And also i can eat 0sugar popsicles and 0sugar Jello, and chicken broth (tasted it hated it) and Tomato soup:/ I dont like any of these. (other than the popsicles and Jello but i cant live off of that) and i paid 105 for my bariatric meals so i have no choice sadly:/

i have one more day of this pre surgery diet and im so hungry im ready to catch one of the squirrels in the back yard and grill it .....i have to say it has been some tough 2 weeks for me ...the shakes and the broth im so done with it for now but i know it will continue another 2 weeks but i hope that the first couple days after surgery wont be so bad . but i believe it doesnt matter what kind or brand of shakes u buy they all turn nasty after a certain time :wacko: ....

Was it seriously a piece of cornbread? I doubt even if you told your surgeon he'd blink at you. But do remember, they only person you cheat is yourself. To me, the worst part of the whole process was the pre-op diet. You don't have a band to help you, and you have to eat that cr@p.

When I was back in my room after my surgery, my surgeon came in to check on me. He told my husband and me that he could tell I had done very well on the pre-op diet because my liver was very small and easy to move around. He said that I made his job easier, and the surgery safer for me. That made me feel so good to hear!

OMG!! You ate!!!!!! bread? !?!?!?!?

I am jealous! hahahahhaha

Honestly like said before the pre op diet is for your liver. In all honesty I would just tell your doctor for a better peace of mind but food food is not a deal breaker here.

He will prob say he hears that all the commonas pre op diets can be hard. I didnt have to do one but I spent enough time on the liquid diet post op I know how can that can be.

I am up front with my doctor all the time (hey doc I swallow gum, should I worry, hey doc I ate a bagel this morning think its time for a fill etc) and that is better then lying or not telling him because he is there to help his patients post op.

Take this time to learn and move on from it.

Was it seriously a piece of cornbread? I doubt even if you told your surgeon he'd blink at you. But do remember, they only person you cheat is yourself. To me, the worst part of the whole process was the pre-op diet. You don't have a band to help you, and you have to eat that cr@p.

When I was back in my room after my surgery, my surgeon came in to check on me. He told my husband and me that he could tell I had done very well on the pre-op diet because my liver was very small and easy to move around. He said that I made his job easier, and the surgery safer for me. That made me feel so good to hear!

Lol piece, slice same thing. But i think ill be fine since it was only once and it was yesterday AND my surgery isnt until another week. Cant wait though.

i have one more day of this pre surgery diet and im so hungry im ready to catch one of the squirrels in the back yard and grill it .....i have to say it has been some tough 2 weeks for me ...the shakes and the broth im so done with it for now but i know it will continue another 2 weeks but i hope that the first couple days after surgery wont be so bad . but i believe it doesnt matter what kind or brand of shakes u buy they all turn nasty after a certain time :wacko: ....

So one more day means you have your surgery in one more day?? Haha i can relate i want stuff i dont even eat:/

The pre op diet is so strick so as to reduce Fluid and fat off of your liver as they have to lift it when they are trying to get at the stomach. Only if you have not followed the whole way through like someone my doc operated on will the liver be bulky and tear. If you've been good all way through you will be fine. I thought my money wasn't coming through an my surg would be cancelled again as day before surg. So thought I'm having dinner chicken roast veg gravy. Then I ended up sorting money an had anyway. Point being I done all the hard work. Lost ten kg before the liver was obviously a it should be had the surg he wouldn't have done it otherwise. So relax.

One of my fill appointments was postponed because my surgeon was called into surgery to assist with a patient who hadn't followed the pre-op diet and whose liver hadn't shrunk. My surgeon made the call to cancel that patient's band. Made me so glad that I had followed the rules!

Ok so im freaking out like last night i broke down and ate something that wasnt my liquid food -_- i have the surgery on the 27th and i get blood work done this monday. Will they know if i DO NOT do it again?!!? I didnt mean to its just soo hard but worth it which is why im not doing it again i just broke.. Im only human. But will they know????

Ok first, they will NEVER know and second nearly everyone of us has done that! Although you are going to have to have some discipline with the band I think you have already shown that you do have a lot of discipline with one tiny slip...this is a time to be nice to yourself...get over the slip and dont beat yourself up over it!