Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Pregnancy Weight Loss

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and have gained 28 pounds. I had to have my band loosened due to severe nausea. I have heard that you will never find your sweet spot again and you won't lose like you did before. Anyone know if this is true and has anyone lost it all and been back to goal after having a baby? Thanks

Are you getting good nutrition? I dont see how if you are too nauseous to eat properly for the baby you would have gained that much. I know a few people who have gotten unfilled for various reasons and each of them had a different situation in terms of getting to green zone afterward. Some got too tight with less fill than before the unfill. Some needed more than they had before. So its different but it can be done1

I had 3cc removed at 12 weeks and I've had no nausea since. I eat whatever I want and am not following any of the band rules. My dietician said not to worry about food while pregnant, it was very hard in the beginning as I was obsessed but now I eat when hungry and if I am craving something I eat it. I was under 150 when I got pregnant and although it's hard to see my weight go up I know it's all for the greater good. I'm more concerned with the tales I've heard about never losing again or never finding that sweet spot again.

to make a long story short...

I was pregnant and at about 7.5 months I was unable to eat or drink anything and in terrible pain so got a complete unfill. 1.5 months after my baby was born started getting filled again which was in August. So I've gone back every few weeks for another fill...then 2 weeks ago they sent me for a barium swallow to make sure everything was looking ok...nope! my band slipped...so back to being complete unfilled. I wasn't sick or anything so i had no idea...basically I was always starving and feeling like I needed to eat all the time so i was frustrated and wanted a huge fill.

I had my surgery almost 4 years ago...I lost a total of about 110 lbs...gained about 20 being pregnant and then when I was unfilled at 7.5 months gained 25 over night...ugh! now i'm up another 40...yep! 85 lbs back!

I am sooo depressed over this. My baby is 9 months old now and I can't seem to get my band back to "normal" =(

I was banded in 2005 lost at most 83 pounds then welcomed our first child Sept of 2007, had a loss pregnancy in 2009, and our most recent child May 2011. Averaging a gain of 35-40 pounds after all the pregnancies. I have not found the same weight loss patterns as before kiddos. I just went again today for another fill after being unfilled in December after a week of not being able to eat solid food. I wish there was a group to help us postpartum banders with tips and support to get back on track.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Enjoy this time!

~Christina :)

I'm on my way! Just got adjusted on 3/12 when my son was 14 mos old, and am down 20lbs so far . Still have always to go to get to goal

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

Hey Cordelia--were you unfilled completely prior to this fill?? did you gain weight after having your baby? can you share a little bit of your story?

Christina--how are you doing??

I got back tomorrow for another fill...still not having much success with feeling restriction. ;)

I was partially unfilled but it effectively was like being totally unfilled. I gained back pretty much all my weight- but I was also 9 mos preggers. I lost about 40 lbs on my own after having my son. It took me over a year before I felt mentally ready to deal with the band again, so I was just filled on 3/12. I'm not the tightest I've been but I can only handle so much. I definitely have restriction now. I've lost about another 20lbs. It's still hard. I have another about 90 lbs to get to goal. Hard. Hard. Hard.

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

"mentally ready" I wonder if that's most of my problem! Well, actually I KNOW that's my problem! I got another fill yesterday and I think I'm ready for it this time around. I've been seeing a therapist who specializes in weightloss surgery patients and I think that's really helping.

Mentally is the hardest part!

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I too am fighting the lbs for a second time. UGH!!!!!!!! I was completely unfilled 11/2 yrs ago, due to and adverse reaction to Fossomax. I had to wait 2 mos, take Nexium and finally got a baby fill, NO restriction! Got another fill, NO restriction. Got depressed and mentally gave up, BIG MISTAKE! Ate for a year and some. Total gain of walk in stupid world 56 lbs! Went back last Tues. And finally got a GOOD fill, too good, I fear. I'm probably going to ask for 1/2 cc to be taken out later this wk. I do think it is harder the 2nd time around. I never was over filled or had any probs w fills the first time around! I am back to level that was sweet to me before, but I'm having probs keeping anything. but shakes and grits down so is not good.

I would LOVE to see more info on this issue. There seems to be quite a few of us and I really think our problems are a bit unique. It's just very different from first time to me.

Definitely different- I can only hope that it's more about long term change as less the newness of it. Don't know

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I am currently 38+ weeks and so ready to have this baby. Yet I am extremely ready to lose this weight. I've gained 35 pounds and I am miserably fat! This has been a mentally exhausting 38 weeks. It's hard to talk to my husband or mom about it because they have not ever gone through banding before.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Pregnancy is just like that! Banded or not- thats how you feel at the end. My advice would be to try your hardest to breast feed- its best for both of you. Be kind to yourself no matter what and dont be surprised when you look 8 mos preggers right after you have the baby. I had to wait until I was rested enough to go back to the band-so just do it whenever that is for you.

-Cordelia, banded 1/08