Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my band for two years have had no problems. I went today to have a fill because I wasn't feeling as restricted as I normally do. I found out that my band has slipped. They removed almost 3cc's from my band and said that I should come back in 3 weeks for a check up. I am freaking out! Has anyone else gone through this? I don't want to have to go through surgery again nor can I afford it. What are the chances of my band going back in place on its own?

I have had my band for two years have had no problems. I went today to have a fill because I wasn't feeling as restricted as I normally do. I found out that my band has slipped. They removed almost 3cc's from my band and said that I should come back in 3 weeks for a check up. I am freaking out! Has anyone else gone through this? I don't want to have to go through surgery again nor can I afford it. What are the chances of my band going back in place on its own?

im so sorry this has happened to you. actually ive been doing a lot of reading and comparing the sleeve to the band. i would like to know what percentage of patients have slippage of their band. i hope you dont have to worry about the expense of another op. let us know how you go.

I think that chnces ae pretty good. I had 2 slips, the 1st one, the band went back into place. The 2nd one, more serious than the 1st, I had to have surgery to reposition it. Good luck, Karen

I had one slip in 2008 and I had to take it out. It was out several months before I realized I was gaining too much weight and was out of control. I had a new band put in (2009) and I am so glad I did.

It is scary to have a slip but I have heard many people have their band readjusted. I do think the readjustments need surgery too (not sure about this because that was not my experience).

My surgeon told me with the second band they sewed it more securely than my first one.

Now I have been advised by my doctor that I may need a revision from band to sleeve. I am seriously considering it because my loss of weight from the band is not what it should be (although I have lost 9 pounds in the last two weeks). I am going to give my band a good try again before I go to the sleeve. They would take out my band and do the sleeve surgery in one surgery (I have been told).

Good luck to you!

I had one slip in 2008 and I had to take it out. It was out several months before I realized I was gaining too much weight and was out of control. I had a new band put in (2009) and I am so glad I did.

It is scary to have a slip but I have heard many people have their band readjusted. I do think the readjustments need surgery too (not sure about this because that was not my experience).

My surgeon told me with the second band they sewed it more securely than my first one.

Now I have been advised by my doctor that I may need a revision from band to sleeve. I am seriously considering it because my loss of weight from the band is not what it should be (although I have lost 9 pounds in the last two weeks). I am going to give my band a good try again before I go to the sleeve. They would take out my band and do the sleeve surgery in one surgery (I have been told).

Good luck to you!

i wonder why he didnt sew it more securely when he first put the band in?? i would like to know why.. ive read where some drs actually sew a portion of the stomach back over the band to keep it in place.

this is very interesting reading. ive been doing a lot of study on both the band and the sleeve.

we live in a country area where we have to travel nearly two hours just one way, and the road isnt good. if i had to travel a lot for fills, checkups, etc.. then thats going to cause both hubbie and i a lot of stress. Especially in winter when the roads are worse.

i think im going to approach him about a sleeve. i know that my BMI is 30.. but i have a chronic disorder with joints... both knees replaced. now my feet etc are bad... so it seems that surgery will be done on those grounds. its going to be interesting to see what he has to say. im not sure of the prices though, and how all that works. one thing, our insurance company doesnt have the say as to what i should have done. thats one good thing. the decision is the drs. if i have coverage for it, and i do, then the company pays out. i will tell you all how i get on after wednesdays appointment. its for 11.30 and we will have a long exhausting day away.

I thought the same thing when I heard that they "sewed it in better" (something like that). When I told someone else that had the lap band too, they said maybe they didn't do it that way when I had my first band in 2008. I know what you mean. It didn't set well with me.

I live in Los Angeles and sometimes getting fills, unfills, etc., is a hardship because I have to take time off work, waiting time to see the doctor when I get into the office, expense, etc.

It may be good to think about having the sleeve. BMI is the big question when getting approved for insurance for any of the procedures. Its all about getting approved by the insurance company you have.

I am positive that the sleeve procedure costs more than the lapband. I have heard this over and over again. The surgery lasts longer than putting in a band.

I talked to my doctor about that and the port flipping as I have heard about both. Their practice has a very low rate of problems with both those issues as well as with stretching of the pouch. The doc said that they sew a portion of the stomach over the band to help secure it, the low profile realize port is attached within the muscle wall and that the pouch should stretch to accomodate the 1-1/4 cups of food to eat about 4 times a day. It is chronic over eating (larger amounts) that may over time contribute to stretching out the pouch. It is a center of excellence. I am out only 2 months so no issues at this point.

I thought the same thing when I heard that they "sewed it in better" (something like that). When I told someone else that had the lap band too, they said maybe they didn't do it that way when I had my first band in 2008. I know what you mean. It didn't set well with me.

I live in Los Angeles and sometimes getting fills, unfills, etc., is a hardship because I have to take time off work, waiting time to see the doctor when I get into the office, expense, etc.

It may be good to think about having the sleeve. BMI is the big question when getting approved for insurance for any of the procedures. Its all about getting approved by the insurance company you have.

I am positive that the sleeve procedure costs more than the lapband. I have heard this over and over again. The surgery lasts longer than putting in a band.

yes, i remember reading about the length of time but ive forgotten it now. i reckon you are right . my BMI will have everything to do with it. i rang the insurance company this afternoon and they couldnt tell me anything until i see the dr. i need the item number for a start. its a nuicance because i go in there not having any details like this at all. i would much prefer to be better informed about sleeve. once i get in there im still nervous and i dont always pick up on everything thats said. this is the main issue with me. Anyway, i have to start writing some things down this evening.

I also personally know 2 people with the band that the slipping happened to. One of them actually fell down and it caused hers to slip. Both of them had their bands completely unfilled and it fixed itself after a couple of weeks.

So....hopefully all goes well with you too. :0)

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and taking the time to reply. I was really feeling down and with your support and kind words I am feeling at ease. I just have to be patient. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!!!

Jaime

I wish I could say I had the same success, but I am having to have my band repositoned this Thursday. I am self pay so that set me back about $6,000.00 total. Not terribly bad, but I would rather not have had to have the surgery again. I was hoping mine would correct itself, but a fluro back before Christmas revealed it did not.

I was diagnosed with a prolapse last March (I was too tight for way too long, but I didn't pay attention to my body), and I am just now deciding to get it fixed. Luckily, I had lost all the weight I needed to before this happend, but now I have gained almost 30 lbs. back. I don't look forward to the post op diet, but I'm ready to lose these extra pounds I have put on.

Good luck!