Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Being "stuck" Feel Like?

Hi everyone!!

Since I am a new bandster and still in the mushy phase, I have no idea what a "stuck" episode feels like... What signs and symptoms should I be aware of?

Stuck feels like you just swallowed a rock. The rock is now sitting at the base of your sternum. It can be pain or pressure. If you experience that, STOP EATING. Wait until the sensation passes before trying more food. Putting more food on top of stuck food just increases the pain. Don't drink anything, that won't help either. If you swallow a couple big gulps of liquid, the stuck item is likely to come back up.

Your pouch grinds trying to force the item through. That can get very painful. Your body produces a very thick mucous in an attempt to help the item go down. As the way down is blocked the mucous comes up, and out, in the form of slime. The sliming will not stop until you are unstuck.

Ah the joys of banded life. But really, oh so very worth it.

OMG sounds like a nightmare!!!

What foods are more likely to get stuck? At least in your experience?

Stuck feels like you just swallowed a rock. The rock is now sitting at the base of your sternum. It can be pain or pressure. If you experience that, STOP EATING. Wait until the sensation passes before trying more food. Putting more food on top of stuck food just increases the pain. Don't drink anything, that won't help either. If you swallow a couple big gulps of liquid, the stuck item is likely to come back up.

Your pouch grinds trying to force the item through. That can get very painful. Your body produces a very thick mucous in an attempt to help the item go down. As the way down is blocked the mucous comes up, and out, in the form of slime. The sliming will not stop until you are unstuck.

Ah the joys of banded life. But really, oh so very worth it.

I don't believe any bander could have described it better. Also Don't try to Fluid to this, you will only lose it. Just sit calmly and remember to breath, it will pass. Evenually you will debate whether you want to go through it again, Definitely stay away from breads, steaks, anything the does not break up easily when chewed. You get use to it, all in the life of a bander. Also try not to get sick, you can risk possible slippage of yourt band. It is so totally worth it, and one of my more rewarding journeys I have ever been on. Good Luck!

Thank you guys for your responses and advise:)

OMG sounds like a nightmare!!!

What foods are more likely to get stuck? At least in your experience?

It is no fun, but I take it in stride. Totally worth it to be healthier. My biggest offender is chicken breast. So I don't even try. Next is very soft, doughy breads, like doughnuts (who needs them), white bread, and Bagels. Bagels are hit and miss. I'll try them later in the day, but not as the first food I eat. If I have a hamburger, I don't eat the bun. I'll use it as a handle and tear it off as I go. Hamburger meat can be an issue as well, it can have gristle in it and you think it is chewed, but BAM. So I often chose turkey burgers or veggie burgers.

If I am getting a sandwich, a wrap is perfect, if I cannot get that, then whole grain is a better choice, toasted makes it easier.

It is no fun, but I take it in stride. Totally worth it to be healthier. My biggest offender is chicken breast. So I don't even try. Next is very soft, doughy breads, like doughnuts (who needs them), white bread, and Bagels. Bagels are hit and miss. I'll try them later in the day, but not as the first food I eat. If I have a hamburger, I don't eat the bun. I'll use it as a handle and tear it off as I go. Hamburger meat can be an issue as well, it can have gristle in it and you think it is chewed, but BAM. So I often chose turkey burgers or veggie burgers.

If I am getting a sandwich, a wrap is perfect, if I cannot get that, then whole grain is a better choice, toasted makes it easier.

ditto said like a pro but I can't do even wraps

Certain foods, yes (like as mentioned, doughy breads, veggies with skins). I also find a big culprit is too big of a bite, and not chewing well enough, and then eating bites too quickly. That is one of the hardest things for me - small bites, chew realllly well, and then wait a bit in between bites to let the first one go down.

Certain foods, yes (like as mentioned, doughy breads, veggies with skins). I also find a big culprit is too big of a bite, and not chewing well enough, and then eating bites too quickly. That is one of the hardest things for me - small bites, chew realllly well, and then wait a bit in between bites to let the first one go down.

Amen!!

Is chicken salad also a culprit? I'm just wondering like for example going to subway... What would be a wise choice? Is lettuce ok??

Soooo many questions I know!!!!

Amen!!

What use to bother me was I always use to flush my food with a beverage, that habit was hard to break. If you feel like something stuck you want to grab a Fluid or Water, but this is no longer an option. Makes it worse. All & all being over 2 years out it is the most rewarding journey I have ever been on. This past year Thank God I didn't gain, but didn't lose either with my sugar bingeing. Spring always gets me motivated so these last 40 pounds have been the hardest of any of it, But hopefully I am back on horse and giving these last 40 a true push.

Smiley - I agree if I put a liquid on top of being stuck, that's worse.

Sometimes, you need to just get it up. I think almost everyone has had to do that at least once. I feel I'm a real pro at it (something to be proud of :wacko: ). I just bend over at the waist and cough; up it comes (I'm currently too tight AGAIN and getting a defill this week :angry: ).

I can't really eat Subway bread. Lettuce seems to be a veggie I can do sometimes. Today I had some salmon salad and it was okay....but definitely no bread!

Well I wish you luck with your last 40!

That's awesome that sugar and all no gain:)!!

Thanks Shauna:)

bread won't be hard for me thank goodness, I wasn't really a bread eater before the band... But a BIG chicken breast eater! I sure hope that when I first try it ( in about 4 weeks) it's not too bad. I have not had a fill yet, but chicken, tuna, and salmon salad have gone down well. This may change after being filled.... Right?

Is chicken salad also a culprit? I'm just wondering like for example going to subway... What would be a wise choice? Is lettuce ok??

Soooo many questions I know!!!!

With me one day chicken salad will be fine next day it won't. I can some days eat salads. I love that new ginger dressing. I usually have more trouble with chicken then lettuce. I take alot of meds from a broken neck injury, so I think I sometimes get blockage from my pills. If you concentrate on small bites and chew chew chew... you would probably be fine. For me each day is different, one thing will be fine one day and Not the next. If something gets stuck just remain calm, it will pass.. not really a big deal so don't let it scare you. I tried bread because it is one of my major weaknesses, but you soon learn what you can and cannot eat and I will tell you firsthand you can't eat bread. One thing that amazes me though chips & salsa anytime flies through. I probably shouldn't have shared that. LOL