Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does An Ulcer Vs A Slip Feel Like?

I've had my band for 2 1/2 yrs now and have lost almost all of my wt. This past week, everytime I eat anything im in major pain. Tonite I ate 31 bites of chicken, 3 bites of rice, and 1I broccoli floret and I threw it all up, started sweating profusely, and am in alot of pain. The only other thing I ate today was 14 eggs and about 6that bites of yogurt for bf. I've had a problem with reflux since my last fill and last nite I had to lie on my back propped up with 3 pillows to get any sleep. I cough all nite long. And I've been taking Nexium for it for 3bf mths. And I eat rolaids like they're candy.

I don't think im too full cuz before last week I could eat more than I've been able to for 2it yrs. My husband thinks that the reflux caused an ulcer and I need my band emptied. I reallly don't want to do that. Im in another state now so I don't have access to my band dr and I have an appt with my primary on the 9th. Everytime I eat tho my busband wants to take me to the ER. The funny thing is is that im hungry when I eat. It hasn't taken away my appetite.

If I have a slip I wouldn't even be able to keep fluids down, right?? No problem with drinking. Does this warrant a trip to the ER where the drs have probably never even seen a lapband? I need to lose my last 9fill lbs but I really don't want to do it this way.

Thanks!

Marci

I meant 3 bites of chicken. Not 31! People r probably telling themselves "no wonder her stomach hurts!"

Marci

I guews I can't edit a post on my phone. It also was 1 broccoli floret (not 11) and 1a egg (not 14) .

Marci

I had a slip of my band several years ago and nothing would go down. Not even my saliva. It would accumulate and then come up (sorry probably too much information. I agree with your husband. You need to see a doctor sooner rather than later. It may not have anything to do with your band.

It could also be that your band is too tight. I have recently experienced gastric reflux and throwing up so bad that I stayed up all night throwing up that I met my bariatric doctor at the ER. She took out 3 cc's. Two weeks later, my gastric reflux started up again and I bought a wedge pillow to prop me up. I was getting very little sleep because the reflux seemed to start RIGHT when I fell asleep. I was miserable. Went to see my doctor again at the office and he took .5 cc's out of my band. A world of difference. I feel so much better. No reflux and I slept well last night.

If you do go to the ER, you can tell them that you have a lapband. When I was in the ER last time, they did a CAT-scan to see how my band looked. The 9th for your doctor's appointment seems far away. If you don't go to the ER, see if you can get in to see your doctor sooner.

I would stay away from solid Proteins and stick with a liquid diet of Protein shakes to make your band settle down. Trying to eat those solids (chicken, eggs, etc.) are tough under the best of circumstances with a band but when you are getting in trouble, its best to go for the liquids. Even Soup broth with nothing in it helps me.

Good luck to you. Please post again.

The night coughing is a sure sign of being too tight. All the other stuff may also be a sign of being too tight as well.

I really think you need to get back to see your lapband doc ASAP. Maybe all you need is a very tiny unfill and all will be well. I sure hope that's all it is. I would just stay on liquids and mushies for the weekend and get back to your doc .... tell them what is going on and that you need to be seen right away.

Had a slip recently and before I found out I thought an unfill was a horrible thought....guess what - surgery to fix the slip beats it. Please go to the ER. Call ur Lapband Dr and see what ER he recommends in the area. They should be able to direct the surgeon in the ER on how to do a simple unfill if they don't know. Getting sick this often is a major warning sign - no goal is worth the risk! Good luck.

It sounds more like an ulcer than a slip, though only a doctor could tell for certain. Either way they both need to be evaluated and treated. Have you started consuming more caffeine? Higher stress? Any other ulcer triggers? Good luck!

When my reflux was VERY BAD my coughing was also as my throat was irritated by the acid. Nexium doesn't sound like it's working. As far as the ER they are usually staffed by NEWer doctors - just out of school so they actually tend to have more current info than most other doctors. I was sent in for an upper GI to a hospital that does NO bariactic surgery and they were looking at my band and found what my problem.was...Granted I'd have been more happy at the hospital that did the surgery but I was equally happy now knowing I can trust this place if need be. Please don't let the fear of weight gain stop you from seeking help. Hopefully this is only a small speed bump on your journey. Better to live well than die skinny! Don't let it get that serious! Yes, I do mean to scare you - but only because I care! Good luck.... Linda

(PS - I would go back to a liquid diet for now because all the throwing up causes swelling which then makes the band tighter - worrying about band erosion and band slippage to a lesser degree...actually more concerned about band twisting as that can cause the problems you're having. I just had Fluid taken out as this week after a band-fill a month ago progressively was causing more pain. throwing up and swelling...now I feel human again and it took 1.5 cc's out..and I lost 3 bs. after it was taken out!)

Wel, if we are voting, I vote slip! But none of us are doctors. Either call your surgeon's offcie or go see teh ER. But, don't play around with it. I had to have my Fluid all removed and then had to have my band revised due to a slip. (you can get liquids down). I was able to without trouble, but was up all night long retching. Don't wait! Good lcuk, Karen

PS:it sounds like you have probably waited long enough, already!

if they do an endoscopy they will be able to determine if it's an ulcer. get to the doc!

Thanks for all of ur help everyone. I didn't sleep worth Beans last nite cuz of the reflux. This might be tmi but this morning when I woke up I felt something wet on the sheet. Its brownish green liquid. Im guessing bile. Yuck. Someone asked if id been under stress lately. Im currently out of the state now visiting my mom who had a major stroke 2 wks ago and is still in a coma and on a respirator. I have a o clue what the future brings

If I don't feel better today I think im gunna go to the ER later. Im so miserable and because im out of state (I live in OR and im in CAK I don't have access to my band dr.I really don't want an unfill but if it'll make me feel even a little better, im open to anything. Thanks for all the comments and ideas

Marci

Brown = old blood

Green = intestinal bile.

High amounts of stress (which it sounds like you are going through) can cause ulcers. Of course I am not a bariatric expert so I am sure there are bariatric issues that can cause this. With the blood in your intestines you should be evaluated ASAP. Again, I am not a doctor, but I am an RN. Call your insurance company and see what sort of out of state coverage you have and where you can go. I hope you get this taken care of ASAP

Marci, please go to the ER. You need to feel well for your mom. From my reading here at LBT, stress can make a band tighter. Maybe a slight unfill will help enough to get you through until you are home.

Whatever is going on needs to be addressed. If you aspirate the stuff coming up at night and you get pneumonia, then where will you be?

Besh wishes.

I had a slipped band but I could still eat and drink. I just had reflux that got worse and worse even after my band was emptied. I had to have surgery. Please get it checked and unfilled because it will only get worse