Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody start at over 300?

:wave:

I'm significantly over 300 with a BMI over 50. Ok, so I'm an Amazon too, but that's no excuse. I was told by my PCP that I was "the best candidate she had ever seen". My surgeon, who performs both procedures, never once brought up RNY during any of my meetings with him.

I posted a smiliar question on another board after seeing a lot of people with "only" 80 or so lbs to lose. I got an overwhelming response of 50+ BMI'ers with lap. It really made me feel better about my decision.

If RNY were my only option, I wouldn't be having WLS.

Oh, edit to add - my surgery is WEDNESDAY of next week.

My Highest weight was 420, I was banded at 380 in December 05 and I am now at 340, I am looking forward to 300 some day but It will take some time.

I was 317.5 at the beginning of my journey. Had to lose to get a BMI under 50 so my insurance would pay. I feel like I had some hurdles to jump, but boy am I glad I did this. I have had 2 fills and have great restriction now. If you are sure that you feel is best for you don't let anyone shake your resolve. It is so worth it!!! GOOD LUCK!

I am a little over a year out & I weighed 350 lbs (BMI 60.1) the day of surgery. I now weigh 285 lbs & wouldn't change a thing! I love my band! Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Highest weight 327, initial visit to surgeon 315, day of surgery 294, present day 270! I am 5" 2"! BMI over 50! But working at it everyday!Best of luck!

I was almost 300, I was a cheeseburger away at 297.

I agree you shouldn't be pushed into a surgery you don't want. Personally if something happened and I lost my band I would do gastric, but ONLY after the band failed, I wouldn't start out with gastric.

It's a personal choice and your doctor should respect your wishes. If not, find someone else. With Lap Band it's a lot like pregnancy you do develop a relationship with the doctor and staff and it's important that you are able to be honest and comfortable.

I started at 386 April of last year I am now down to 265

I was just over 300 at the start, I've lost 50 pounds in the past three months, and I'm still losing fairly quickly. Maybe RNY should be a last resort.

The lapband has worked for so many people in your situation.

ANother Here. I was 336 the day of surgery. I have lost 46lbs so far and it will be 6 months on Feb. 28. I am loving my band. Wouldn't change it fort nothing. I think that maybe your surgeon is saying RNY because of faster results. Some of the bandsters lose at almost the same rate as RNY from some of the postings I have read. I know you will be happy with your decision to have the band. The best thing for me is I think that with the band you are not gonna have as much skin to deal with after you lose all of the weight. With proper exercise and weight resistance training we can get a better hold of the excess skin problem because the weightloss is gradual and not so extreme. :peace:

I am 347 and going to be banded on 3/6/2006. The band was the only option for me. I have too many personal stories about the gastric bypass, so in my mind I could not consider it. Part of this journey is mental and if your positive mental note strikes on the band (no pun intended), then you need a doctor who will support your decision.

My BMI was 50 according to the doctor and my primary care physician is very happy with my choice.

Another one here.. starting 316.8 today 245. Banded June 13th 05, so that is around 71 pounds. I have a personal goal of 100 pounds in 1 year don't think I am going to hit but I am sure going to try.

Hi,

Started at a BMI of 53.9 and a weight of 334. I now weight in the 180's

and I am thrilled with the band!!!

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

6/23/03