Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me Stock My Pantry

Ok. I need help. I start my pre-op diet in 4 days.Followed by Surgery on the March 15. Although I do like my surgeon, I feel I have been left to sink or swim when it comes to what I really need to have on hand for bothe the pre-op and especially for the first couple weeks after surgery. I told to drink 2 Protein Drinks a day and either a very small dinner or a lean cusine. So I have gathered from other posts that the powder Protein mixes are better than the premixed stuff.And it looks like Primere(?) Brand at Sams is a good choice.So that will get me through the pre-op.

But what about post op? What should I consider having on hand that will help me get through the first week or two on a liquid diet. I know I need Vitamins (seems like several bandsters like flintstones) any certain brand of Calcium better than others? I thought I would get broth, tea, diet fruit juice, popsicles, can anyone add to my list?

Thanks for your help, the last thing I want to be thinking about is going to the store the first week or two.

Sf pudding

Sf ice pops

a blender or food processer( something inexpensive like the bullet)

clear Soups

hummus

some people like refried Beans

sf Jello

laughing cow cheese

fish

thats a start

good luck :)

wendy

I liked stock vs broth has more flavor. For ready made Protein shakes I do like premier brand. Hamilton Beach makes a really nice individual sized blender; whose mixing container is a travel mug. Really convenient if you want to mix a shake as you are running out the door.

First 7 days post op I was on clears (plus Protein shakes), and next 7 full liquids (smooth Soups like tomato). I added Mrs Dash no salt seasonings to broths and soups to increase their flavor. Jello is considered clears. When you can move to sugar free puddings buy name brands they really are so much better (I am a cheap skate but it is so worth it). During first stage of mushies I would use a stick blender to mix greek yoghurt with fruit so that the fruit would be minced.

I just bought at Target both Adkins and Advantage chocolate shakes. Both are really good. I put them in the freezer and just snip the top off because it is a foil like box. Tastes pretty good when you let it thaw out a little bit. I got them in the pharmacy aisle where you would find slimfast. I actually wanted slimfast but they didn't have the low carb kind. Very happy they didn't because these are so much easier than the Slimfast can! Good luck!

In addition to what people have said already...I would greatly recommend getting Protein Water ready-mix powder. There are two types I like. The first is by the company Designer whey and has a red rasberry flavor. It can be found in most food store chains in the diet/vitamins/protein bar drink sections of the store. The other mix I like is by Kellogs and comes in pink lemonade and strawberry kiwi. Both varieties have about 30-40 cal per pack and about 8g of protein. If you like you can also get something called Isopure (low carb variety is best) at GNC. This will help keep you hydrated and feeing a little fuller than water.

In addition to what people have said already...I would greatly recommend getting Protein Water ready-mix powder. There are two types I like. The first is by the company Designer Whey and has a red rasberry flavor. It can be found in most food store chains in the diet/vitamins/protein bar drink sections of the store. The other mix I like is by Kellogs and comes in pink lemonade and strawberry kiwi. Both varieties have about 30-40 cal per pack and about 8g of Protein. If you like you can also get something called Isopure (low carb variety is best) at GNC. This will help keep you hydrated and feeing a little fuller than Water.< /p>

How does the protien water additive taste? I would think it would be kind of thick and leave a bad taste in your mouth! lol!!

Wow that really helps out a lot!! Thanks everyone!!

I would recommend the Kirkland sugar free Calcium +vit D chews. My surgeon's office recommends Viactiv, but the taste is awfully gritty.

Has anyone tried the Isopure Protein liquid drinks at HEB? They also have protein Jello (23 grams per cup of protein) in the pharmacy section with no sugar or carbs. Not sure if that is allowed post or pre op. I think it says collagen protein...is there any difference between that and whey protein?

Has anyone tried the Isopure Protein liquid drinks at HEB? They also have Protein Jello (23 grams per cup of protein) in the pharmacy section with no sugar or carbs. Not sure if that is allowed post or pre op. I think it says collagen protein...is there any difference between that and whey protein?

I was wondering the difference too. My doctor has wrote down to stay away from foods made of collagen.... Of course now I want the foods made of collagen, because he told me to stay away. hha

But I will be a good girl and listen, even if I don't understand why. I will see him on thursday and askhim the difference.

In addition to what everyone has here, get some Fiber to put in your water! You will have no problem "going at first" because of all the liquids but things will slowly start to back up.

I definitely agree about the fiber to add in. I like Benefiber as there is no taste, mixes in clearly and is not Gummy. I really started using it not so long ago, but really got wasn't good about using it 3 times per day like suggested. You can believe I have been adding it in things now since I had such a bad time a couple days ago. !!! Not good to deal with that after being newly banded. I'm sure the 2 wk low carb diet didn't help my matters any. I could tell a difference those two wks.

And load up on several boxes of gas x strips ( at least two anyhow) For real. I will be so glad when I am totally rid of it all. ( my surg was 02/29) it stays gurgling in my belly and forever in my left shoulder. Icy hot rub has helped some too.

All of the suggestions are great. Two things you might want to try...

Listerine mouth spray and breath strips.

I was a huge gum chewer before and now since I can't have it, I rely on the above to keep my mouth moist and fresh tasting. I found my mouth got really dry after surgery but it's not really anymore. I carry the cinnamon flavor breath strips in my purse and keep one in my desk drawer. Really helps if I get stuck to freshen my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

All of the suggestions are great. Two things you might want to try...

Listerine mouth spray and breath strips.

I was a huge gum chewer before and now since I can't have it' date=' I rely on the above to keep my mouth moist and fresh tasting. I found my mouth got really dry after surgery but it's not really anymore. I carry the cinnamon flavor breath strips in my purse and keep one in my desk drawer. Really helps if I get stuck to freshen my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk[/quote']

Im just wondering why we can't chew gum? I haven't heard that