Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsession Over The Scales

I think I'm starting to obsess over the scales and it could be causing me to plateau. I was banded Oct 2011. Since then, I have lost 25 pounds. I lost 46 pounds pre-op. So, total, I've lost 71 pounds. Here lately, my excitement about loosing weight has caused me to become obsessed with it. I think about it all day, everyday. I weight myself twice a day everyday. Could this be causing stress and no weight loss. I have tried to stop weighing so often, but I'm pulled to it like a magnet. I've been eating around 1300-1500 calories a day (this is per myfitnesspal.com for a 2 pound a week loss). I exercise about 45 minutes everyday. I have been stuck at 255 for almost a month. It's very discouraging. The lowest I've ever been as an adult was 235. I think I'm so excited about getting there again that I'm stressing myself over it.

Does anyone know if stress like this can cause your body not to lose weight? Should I hide the scales and only weight in once a month?

Stress can cause your body to do lots of things. I got stuck for about 2 weeks at the same number 228.4 (I was going nuts seeing that damn number over and over every day!). I committed to not weighing daily and now I just weigh on Tuesday. I also lowered my calorie intake to 1000 (not 1 calorie more!). I exercise 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer. The first week after doing this I weighed in at 226.6 - OH JOY!!! Also, you didn't state what type of exercise you are doing. Weight training tends to stall folks for just a bit. It sounds like you are doing all the right things though. Stay strong, be positive and keep pushing...you will move that scale soon!!! Good luck :)

I don't use MFP but I have heard a few people say the the calories are wrong. I know when I eat 1300-1500 that I maintain and don't lose. Try sticking to 1000 and see what happens. I go between 1000-1300 and usually only go up to 1300 on the weekends.

I also stay at 1000 calories per day. I was told in our circumstances, that is the correct amount per day for a female.

It also depends on the type of calories. For instance if you're eating a lot of processed foods, sugar, and/or fat you'll slow down even on limited calories.

Maybe try 1000 calories a day and see if that doesn't help?

My surgeon has me on 800 per day - sounds low compared to others on this board - but it's been working nicely. I hit plateaus for several days when i'm ramping up and on period. Otherwise, steadily going down.

ugh...I have plateaued too...Its frustrating. I weigh myslef twice a day. I have too become obsessed and it just doesnt move. I have been taking in 1200-1300 calories a day. I am going to lower it to 1000 calories a day and see if that makes a difference...

I weigh myself once a day. When I wake up, after I've gone to the bathroom, and with no clothes on. I don't need to see any extra ounces or pounds from clothes and food throughout the day!

I weigh myself once a day. When I wake up, after I've gone to the bathroom, and with no clothes on. I don't need to see any extra ounces or pounds from clothes and food throughout the day!

same routine i have!!!!!

I too weigh myself daily, in the morning with no clothes on...and unfortunately it can affect my mood for the rest of the day. Probably I will cut back on the weighing as time goes on, but I also don't want to get back to that denial phase, that let me gain all that weight in the first place (I stayed away from scales for years on end). There has to be a happy medium, but I haven't found it yet. I just finished a 3 week plateau and that was incredibly frustrating, but I was also eating around 1300 to 1500 calories a day for that time period, so it is my own fault (I like the maintainence plan, but I am about 70 pounds to early for it). I'm back to 1000 to 1100 calories a day and the weight loss has now started again. Good luck with that evil scale!

I too weigh myself daily, in the morning with no clothes on...and unfortunately it can affect my mood for the rest of the day. Probably I will cut back on the weighing as time goes on, but I also don't want to get back to that denial phase, that let me gain all that weight in the first place (I stayed away from scales for years on end). There has to be a happy medium, but I haven't found it yet. I just finished a 3 week plateau and that was incredibly frustrating, but I was also eating around 1300 to 1500 calories a day for that time period, so it is my own fault (I like the maintainence plan, but I am about 70 pounds to early for it). I'm back to 1000 to 1100 calories a day and the weight loss has now started again. Good luck with that evil scale!

i'm with you - it affects my mood for the day!!!!! But not weighing for months and years got me where i was to begin with - so the trade off is fine!

Not being rude or anything, but 1,000 cals a day is very low. I would be starving and then risk binging on something. I haven't got to good restriction yet and just on my 1300-1500 cals a day, I'm still hungry, but I stop myself. I can't imagine going lower. I lost 46 pounds using the numbers from MFP and so have countless others. I don't think they are inaccurate. I calculated my on BMR for my weight and height and its like 2400. So, if I consume 1300-1500 good calories a day, it should equal weight loss. I don't forsee myself ever eating 1000 calories a day (unless I get to goal weight and can go longer between smaller meals). My dietician and PA reccommend I eat at least 1200 a day for healthy weight loss. If you drop below that, you risk putting yourself in starvation mode.

But, thanks for all the advice on weighing only once a week. I think I will hide the scales somewhere and only get them out for my weekly weigh-in. We'll see what happens....

I also weigh in daily. Every morning, naked, after using the bathroom and before eating. Sigh. The only way I allow it to affect my mood is regarding how I consume food that day. If its up, I'm even more careful than the day before. If its down, I do what I did the day before. I don't weigh my food, nor do I count calories. I eat what my band allows, which is 1/2c to 1 cup of food at a sitting. I try very hard to eat my Protein first and then my veggies, and sometimes carbs. I don't always win that battle though. I stop when I'm full. I'm losing consistently about 2 pounds a week.

Weigh in as you need to, but don't allow it to consume you. Use it as another tool, and just a tool, not your Bible! lol

I now weigh in every day as advised by the Doctor! I had went for my last fill and gained 2 lbs and she asked me if I weigh in? I said I do not as I donot want to be obsessed by it! She said weigh in every day! Well I don't have a scale at home so I weigh on a product scale at work and subtract the weight of close and boots!

Same! That's the only way I'll weigh myself, otherwise I get frustrated seeing higher numbers later in the day.

I am a scale adict. But I am 15 lbs away to a normal BMI. Currently my BMI is 27.6. I have lost 100 lbs over the last year since being banded. I want to reach goal so bad. Therefore I weigh myself daily as soon as I get up naked. I eat about 1000-1400 cals/day. I also workout 4-6days/week. Good luck all :).