Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Else Had A Hiatal Hernia Fix When They Where Banded?

Hi! I am new here, banded 7 days ago (2/20/12) and been reading through. But yet to stumble upon my question. Have any of you had a Hiatal Hernia fixed when you had your band put on. Where the band is and hernia fixed is bugging the living daylights out of me. It's sore and gets worse at night. But because I had both done at once, I had major swelling and gas pain. My doctor said my hernia was a lot worse than he originally thought and that's what had taken so long in surgery. Other than that site, I really don't have anymore pain. I guess I'm just paranoid, because I had such horrible pain from hernia, they told me that pain would go away after the band. Just curious if anyone else had this problem. I know it's still healing too ;)

It is very common to have a hiatal hernia repair while getting your band. I had a repair when I had my surgery Nov. 2010 as well. My surgeon said it was a severly bad one. I have had previous surgeries for different things, and every time I have surgery, the recovery gets a little more painful. The gas and shoulder pain was unbearable for me for about 4 days post op. What you are feeling is probably normal, walking does help. Hang in there, it will get better, but if you are worried, it never hurts to call your doctor's office. Good luck to you on your journey :)

I had one too!

I had one also and I am very sore. My doc said it was pretty bad. Walking is helping with the gas pains. Day by day gets easier

I just found out Wednesday that I had one that was repaired during my lap band surgery. I didn't even know I had one, much less had one repaired.

My surgery was in December.

Hi! I am new here, banded 7 days ago (2/20/12) and been reading through. But yet to stumble upon my question. Have any of you had a Hiatal Hernia fixed when you had your band put on. Where the band is and hernia fixed is bugging the living daylights out of me. It's sore and gets worse at night. But because I had both done at once, I had major swelling and gas pain. My doctor said my hernia was a lot worse than he originally thought and that's what had taken so long in surgery. Other than that site, I really don't have anymore pain. I guess I'm just paranoid, because I had such horrible pain from hernia, they told me that pain would go away after the band. Just curious if anyone else had this problem. I know it's still healing too wink.png

there are a lot of people here who have had hiatal hernias operated on as well... its sounds like you had a large one. Its a good job that its mended now. i would imagine that just the surgery on the hernia would be painful enough but youve had a double whammy. im sure it will ease ... give it ten days at least before you could expect some real relief . maybe you wont have to wait nearly that long. i hope that it does ease for you very soon. its a bit scary, especially knowing that you have the band around your stomach as well. i can imagine that would make you feel a bit wary of so much pain. im sure others here will put your mind at rest. ive not had my surgery yet... its coming up.

Hi, I had one as well. Pain for me lasted about four weeks, not horrible pain just come and go annoying pain. Now I feel just like pre-op, so hang in there it really does get better.

I had a huge one (baseball size according to Doc) that was fixed on fFeb 15 during GPS (plication) surgery. The carbon dioxide they use to blow you up for surgery is the wosrt part. That took 5 days to quit hurting my left shoulder. Dr says its becuase diaphragm doesnt know how to deal with pain so it manifests in left shoulder area normally. Anyway all is good now. I used heating pad to help and that was suggested by nurse. Did your Dr give you any prescription meds for acid reflux? It might help as your body learns to adjust to not having hernia.

yup, i had one too, doc said it was huge( about 10 centimeters). I had discomfort after my surgery, lots of shoulder pain. I walked (mostly in the house) allllll the time.

Everyone on this site talked about walking so I took it very seriously. Doc said not to bend or twist for 6 weeks, no exercise. Just walk, a lot he said! I listened to what he said and all of a sudden the pain was gone.

This too shall pass and we understand the concern you have. sip lots of Water, do everything the doc says and you will do well!

I had a moderate size hernia repaired during surgery ... Gas pains have been annoying but not nbearable since I pretty much take gas x strips all day long! And walking helps big time.... The only problem I have is when I cough or sneeze .... It's allergy season here, so that has been a problem

I had the same thing, I don't know how big it was though. I was banded on 2/24/12 and i I've been in so much pain. The gas had been killing me. My pain is horrible at night and when I get up in the morning. Your band would still be in the place its supposed to be. I know that my large incision site is the worst, bruised, swollen, and painful. I had to look up what a hiatal hernia was and where it was, that really helped me.

I had one also, and have to admit that the gas has been pretty bad. I too didn't know that I had a hernia and have no idea how large it was. I need to put this on my list of questions for my appt on Friday.

I had my surgery 02/14/12. I feel much better knowing that others have had hernia repaired. The gas sometimes seems unbearable. Heating pad doesn't seem to help. But in the last few days it seems to not be as frequent.

I had one repaired. I don't know if it made it worse....I didn't find my recovery too bad. Don't think the hernia repair made it any worse. Sorry you're in pain!