Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Op.. Shouldwe Stop Ttc?

Yes you should put that business on HOLD! If you are TTC and you just got your surgery, most doctors suggest waiting at least 18-24 months before TTC. Some people just wait a year or so though. I want to at least reach 100 lbs lost OR my goal (130 lbs) before TTC. Losing weight can only HELP you conceive in the long run! You should probably consider some form of birth control before then because most people are very fertle after the surgery due to hormonal changes in your body due to fast weight loss.

Good Luck!

Why would you go through getting the surgery then try to get pregnant right away? That defeates the purpose and you could do more harm then good since the first 8 weeks is based on healing and recovery alone...

@ erin marie thank you for your advice

@ heather what is with that comment ? That was very insensitive of you !

You dont know anything about me or anything that's going on inside my body or my head or my heart. How can you be so blunt about such a sensitive subject.

I was simply starting a conversation to get a little support. don't you dare assume that me falling pregnant would be defeating the purpose of having the surgery. I know the purpose of my surgery !!!

I would like to say that "You obviously don't know what it's like to be told you can never have children". But I won't, because that would make me negative & presumptuous like you.

In Heathers defense, I dont think she was trying to be insensitive or rude. Your doctor would probably say the same thing. I, too, was ttc for several years before I decided on the lapband and am counting down the days when my doc told me it was safe and reasonable to start ttc again. whatever you decide *baby dust* :-)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using LapBandTalk

@ lollicat thank you for the baby dust

Your probably right but whether or not she meant to be rude & insensitive.... That's how it cane across. It seemed like she thinks I'm some kind of idiot & that I don't know the potential risks. & yes that is what my doctor told us, but many woman in my position continue to ttc & have happy healthy pregnancies. I guess those were the testimonial type replies I was hoping for.

Sorry if I have been bitchy.... Again just a very sensitive topic for me ))):

Sent from my iPhone

I have been trying to conceive for 6 years...i'm also in the process of getting surgery..and my intent for the surgery is to loss weight so I can hopefully conceive..do I know where your coming from...its hard to only want one thing in your life.and every turn is a let down..hang in there hunny and let use all know when it happens..everyone will be happy for you..and out will give me more hope on my situation

Thank you lollicat. Unfortunately words can be "heard" in a different tone on the Internet. I do wish you the best with both your lapband and TTC journey but right now you need to focus on YOU and getting yourself healthy so that you can have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Thank you Amanda. It's good to know you feel my pain. Wishing you all the very best on your journey xxx

@ Heather thank you for your concern but I am fully aware of all of that. This is a support type network/forum and that was all I was hoping for... A little support. I was not looking for someone to ear bash me & tellme what, I ALREADY KNOW. I'm not stupid. You message one tiny paragraph which had not an ounce of sensitivity or understanding & it was very blunt. Maybe you should proof read your posts before you send them & soften them a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone

Well... of course no one likes to be told they cant have children. It has taken me 17 years to get pregnant and only 14 months post surgery. Your initial question was should you stop ttc. A wise and supportive comment would be yes you should stop. Only for now! You dont have to wait forever (I know a year seems a long time). I think Heather was just telling you the the facts. I personally didnt get that she was insensitive or not understanding. I just know my Dr stressed waiting because of all the changes your body makes in that first year. Yes I do believe closely monitored you can have a health pregnancy immediately after surgery. But I know to encourage you to get pregnant ASAP would be counterproductive as to why you got the band. If you were having trouble ttc before, lose the weight, get healthy so you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. If you do get pregnant right away, I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I am completely understanding of you wanting a child. As I said 17 years of tears and disappointment for me. But now that I am closer to goal, I am having a smooth pregnancy, I dont have to worry as much about obesity making this pregnancy either high risk or difficult. Being healthy is the greatest gift you can give your unborn child.

Best of luck to you if you keep ttc or if you take a small break. No matter what, children are a blessing.

Hello everyone

I would like to make an official & sincere apology. I don't know what came over me. Please understand that I am not a confrontational person usually & I'm sorry I flew off the handle & exploded like that.

Having the surgery & changing my life after being fat for such a long time, working on maintaining my amazing relationship with my beautiful fiancé, talking about stopping ttc, Plus the added euphoria of taking very strong pain killers at the moment.. What I'm trying to say is that all of the above are really taking their toll on me at the moment & are contributing factors as to why I reacted the way I did. I'm truly sorry & a little embarrassed. I don't know why I thought Heather would mean any harm, I'm just really sensitive ):

I know now that I worded the opening sentence to the topic the wrong way. I should've made it something like "stopping ttc... Support wanted" or something to that effect.

I did write it as more of a question as if I don't know the answer.

Anyways I wish you all the very best on your journeys, I'm hoping we can chat more in the future. ( I promise I'm not a complete psycho )

To conclude, ever since my initial consult with my surgeon (8 wks ago) our plan has been to stop ttc... So I don't know why I asked that question... As I said I was more looking for a little support & testimonial type responses to give me something to go on.

Thank ladies

Love Jodie

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I was a little embarrassed for you too...

Hello everyone

I would like to make an official & sincere apology. I don't know what came over me. Please understand that I am not a confrontational person usually & I'm sorry I flew off the handle & exploded like that.

Having the surgery & changing my life after being fat for such a long time, working on maintaining my amazing relationship with my beautiful fiancé, talking about stopping ttc, Plus the added euphoria of taking very strong pain killers at the moment.. What I'm trying to say is that all of the above are really taking their toll on me at the moment & are contributing factors as to why I reacted the way I did. I'm truly sorry & a little embarrassed. I don't know why I thought Heather would mean any harm, I'm just really sensitive ):

I know now that I worded the opening sentence to the topic the wrong way. I should've made it something like "stopping ttc... Support wanted" or something to that effect.

I did write it as more of a question as if I don't know the answer.

Anyways I wish you all the very best on your journeys, I'm hoping we can chat more in the future. ( I promise I'm not a complete psycho )

To conclude, ever since my initial consult with my surgeon (8 wks ago) our plan has been to stop ttc... So I don't know why I asked that question... As I said I was more looking for a little support & testimonial type responses to give me something to go on.

Thank ladies

Love Jodie

Sent from my iPhone

Don't be embarrassed, upset, confused.. .we've all been there! The weeks following surgery can be very emotional. My doctor suggested a year before we start ttc again but honestly, I'm almost 50lbs down, with 30 more to go until I hit my goal. BUT, since I suspect it'll take many attempts to get pregnant, my DH and I have decided its time to have fun, not be careful, and see what happens. If I reach my goal and still haven't got prego, I'll consult my ob for next steps. Best wishes to you in whatever you decide and *baby dust*!

Yes you should stop TTC at this time. I know for me stopping was a hard decision to make but it was the best. I lost 156 pounds and all my fertility labs were finally normal and I got pregnant in the 4th cycle of ttc. My daughter is 12 days old today. It was worth the wait, you'll see. Good luck