Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux, No Money, No Insurance, Vomiting Episode Please Help Me

Hi everyone. I'm having a really hard time.

About a year ago my doctor saw that I had a little bit of reflux with my band. I had it for about 8 years prior to my banding, but when I got banded it totally went away (for about two years). They unfilled me, and i gained 8 pounds, filled me again and I've been on a steady losing streak. Unfortunately that is also when I lost my insurance coverage.

Over the past 6 months I have noticed more aspiration episodes, and this past week I noticed that I absolutely cannot eat anything past 9 pm (some days I get out of class at 10 pm) if I want to get a good night's sleep. I have taken Tums for about 8 months now as a daily thing before I go to bed, but this past week they didn't help.

The other day I went to my University Dining Hall and, unfortunately, ate some crappy food that was undercooked---I had to throw up. When I vomited, everything that had already gone down into my stomach came back up. It felt like a true vomit, not like a Lap-Band vomit (if you can understand what I mean by that).

Since then I have had increased acid reflux and a burning sensation around my banding area. It feels like I am really full, like something is going to come up any minute---although the only thing I've been able to get down this weekend is Water and a little bit of milk because it hurt so bad. I can eat things, but I get nauseated very quickly and I notice my restriction is more. I've been taking 200 mg of Advil every four hours for the past three days, and baking soda in Water to help the acid activity (it works better than anything else).

Here's my problem: I don't have any money. I have no job, no insurance, nothing save $6 in my bank account. I know I've posted about being destitute with lap-band problems before but no one has really

helped me on any of my posts because (and I'm assuming) that you guys don't really know what to do as a broke person.

What does all of this sound like? I'm freaking out because it hurts and I'm afraid I've screwed something up pretty bad.

I don't have any answer for the no money issue, but it almost sounds as if you have a slip. Push come to shove, go to the ER.

Im not sure ill be much help, but i can assure you that you are NOT alone. I had GERD for 5 years prior to my surgery... they said they fixed it after my surgery (about 2 years ago) but 5 months ago acid reflux returned with a vengence. My dr unfilled me. waited a couple months did a barrium swallow to assure the band didnt slip... all was well. He prescribed me protonix bc he noticed on the swallow that i have acid reflux, again. Anyway, not i have a great fill. BUT... this acid reflux is HORRIBLE. I cant afford to keep going back to him and dishing out 50-100 bucks everytime i go there. I have no insurance either and i live paycheck to paycheck. Im still on the protonix, but if i eat anything after 7pm i WILL NOT sleep. I will constantly bring stuff up. And if i do dose off, i often wake up choking on it. I am so upset, and at a loss as well. I know im no help to you, but sometimes finding comfort in those who know what youre talking about can help some. I just dont understand this band and ive had it for nearly 2 years. Ive lost 75 lbs and im grateful for it. But ive had a lot of ups and downs with it. Ive been so cautious to eat right, small bites, chew good, stay away from whites etc. I feel at a loss.

I would go get checked out at an ER. An unpaid bill is nothing when your health is at risk. Good luck!

I agree with Denise, you need to go to the ER. I don't think they throw out indigent people when there's a problem. Talk to your doctor if you don't go to the ER, you need to be seen by someone soon.

I don't think it sounds like a slip. You said you can get small amounts in. If you had a slip nothing would go down. To me it sounds like you have some major swelling. Put yourself on Clear Liquids for a week or two and see how it goes. You really should try to save up for an unfill. Persistent acid reflux in a lapband patient can cause esophageal erosion. Call your doctor and tell him what's going on. He's not going to let you suffer just because you can't pay the bill.

I just went through something similar...could not even keep Water down...they took 2.5 ml's out of my 4ml's I had in my band. I could not eat anything after five I could only eat about one bite of food every hour I finally started losing weight but I was losing my health as well..I would not take the advil because if you have swelling there at the band site the advil will just sit on it and eat away at it and can give you some ulceration there then you will hurt more.. I agree with the clear liquids and try to get some water in you or you will become dehydrated then you will have to go to the hospital for re hydration. the cheapest thing to do is go to the lap band dr have them take some Fluid out. rest your stomach with the liquids tell the dr the problems you are having and tell them you can maybe make payments on the unfill.

First, if you're having stomach issues, you do not want to take advil/ibuprofen. They can actually make it worse and cause ulcers.

If you go to the ER, they have to treat you. If I were in your shoes, I'd go.

A fact most ER's won't tell you: if you are broke/unemployed, they have emergency relief funds. After you get the ER bill, you need to talk to their billing department and tell them you need help because you are unemployed with no income. Do not take 'no' for an answer, either. ALL hospitals have it and it can knock up to 80% off your hospital bill.

In the end, your health is worth far more than money regardless. I would definitely make a trip the ER sooner than later.

I am so sorry you are having problems with your band, but your health is number one priority. I agree you should go to the ER, or lapband doctor and tell them your issues.

I would say go to the ER. Worry about the bill later. They can't refuse you care if you don't have insurance. I would just go.

Another thought have you looked into public insurance like medicaid. I would try that it is your health you're talking about. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about your financial problems, I cant imagine how it feels to have restrictions placed on seeking medical care because of finances :( we dont have that problem in the uk ..

Are you still losing weight ? Often the band will loosen with weight loss on its own, and taking the pain meds will slow down your digestion and cause other problems too so i would try and cut them out or choose another type ..

I would follow the common sense type tips for any reflux/heartburn and i would research the dietary rules just google it :)

1. Eat 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals.
  2. Don't eat or drink anything 1 to 2 hours before going to bed.
  3. Avoid foods that are known to increase heartburn.
  4. Avoid bending over soon after eating.
  5. Avoid alcohol.
  6. Use an antacid.
  7. Sleep with your head and shoulder on an incline.
  8. Don't wear clothing that constricts the stomach.
  9. Don't smoke.
  10. Avoid activities that cause abdominal strain.

I think if options are available for u to seek medical help then u should, the last thing u need is to take chances that u will end up with no choice but to get medical help if the bands slips or u cant eat/drink at all..

I really hope u can sort this out, some of the answers may be in your hands but some may not so u may end up having to get medical help no matter what .. good luck :)

I also think that it sounds like you could have a slip. It is not true that if you have a slip nothing will go down - that would only be in the most extreme cases.

You do need to find someway of getting medical treatment to make sure that everything is OK.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BAND HAS SLIPPED - You could need surgery. I live in England and had a similar problem and i received emergency treatment on our NHS. I'm presuming your in America but dont know what the proceddure is there unfortunately