Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Going Under

Oops, knocking me outs for the best! Dont stress!

OMG! That is craaaaazy because that is basically what happened to me! They had to knock me out during my c-section to and I hated the way I felt coming out of the general anesthesia! YUCK! UGH! That is the part I dread the most. LOL! And I feel the same exact way regarding being in control. I hate not being able to be in control or out of my element because it scares me. I prayed about it yesterday.......I know this surgery is what my body needs. You know for me personally my view on having this surgery is that I will be healthier and be able to be around for my two kids longer. I already have hypertension and kidney scarring so if I can ease up the job for my poor kidneys to do less work by dropping some weight then I will...... :)

I found reading through the 'surgery day stories' calmed my nerves a lot. I was very frightened too. I was crying right before they put me under (no idea how they did it, didn't see it coming), and I woke up still crying, confused and begging them to put me back under! Lol. Its really over before you know it.

WOW! I am so glad you responded to this topic Mck xx. I am starting to feel better already. So how has your lap band journey been so far?

Hello

I'm also 5'3 (sometimes 5'4 ;) ....I also hope to get to that 140-125 range :) scared to death of going under....thanks for starting this thread...

I'm getting it done march 30th.....it's so far and yet so close ;)

Good luck to all of us....it's not easy living on a society that values skinny----but has friggin fattening food at every corner....we are attacked with food non stop...so unless you're one of Those that can eat whatever they want and not gain weight....I guess you need the help of the Band! I'm scared....but excited!!!!

Will be telling everyone how focused I am and that when I put my mind to something....I can get it done!!! Hehehehe

HAHA! That is where I am right now,"When I put my mind to something....I can get it done!" Right now no matter how scared I am, I will still go through w/ this. I am very adamant about losing weight. I just turned thirty-five and have two small kiddoes that need me around for a loooooooooooooong time! :D

WOW! I am so glad you responded to this topic Mck xx. I am starting to feel better already. So how has your lap band journey been so far?

i was only banded in late january but its been just fine so far. My dr is a little extreme in that ive been on liquids for 7 weeks...that sucks... But I get my first fill tmrw and wilk be able to start solids on sunday. The most painful part of the whole process by far has been my fear. I really do feel like myself and am amazed at what little nourishment I can thrive on, and still have energy! Im really optimistic about the future for a change..

The fear of being put under is what has kept me from even beginning to talk to a surgeon about having the lap band for the last few years. But I have finally made that first step and I have my 1st appt on Mar 22nd. I am still really nervous but ready to start feeling better and have more energy to play with my kids and just feel better about myself. I have had 2 c-sections that I was awake for and during my 2nd I had to be given a sedative because I was watching the monitor with my heart rate and blood pressure and as it went up I got more anxious and it went up more then I would get even more anxious and so on, it is something that I laugh about now but I remember being scared to death at the time, I have also been put under for a wisdom tooth extraction(I know its not the same as general) in which I was again very scared to face as well and I remember that as I started to feel groggy I started to giggle and just laugh hysterically and then the next thing I knew I woke up still laughing my @$$ off and it was all over. It hardly seemed like there was any reason to feel so frightened. I hope your apprehension to the general is not so bad any more and I wish you the best of luck with your journey and that you know that you are not alone in your fears as I am right there with you.

Good luck, Christina

I was so nervous about going under. Im a big baby when it comes to pain. I was put under before when i was real little and didnt remember most of that. When i had to go in i had to tell the anesthesioligst everything about me he was really nice i was more scared about what it was going to be like when i woke up. To be honest they should have been more worried about what i was going to be like when i woke up. When i thought i woke up i was calm and just sore and had a pain on my side. But what i didnt know was that when i really woke up they said that i started fighting with them and i even ripped open the stitches on my side. I dont remember any of that but its like you go in the room and wake up in another one. Pules they have some drugs they can give you to make you so happy they could pretty much do anything to you lol. Its nothing to worry about but i cried and cried when i got to the hospital that day so i understand what you mean.

I was afraid to go under as well. My surgery was on March 1st. I was fine with the surgery and believed that my surgeon knew what he was doing (he is the head person of the program after all). But with my size I was worried that there would be complications. On the day of the surgery, I expressed my concerns to my anesthesiologist when he arrived to introduce himself. Once he finally found a vein, mine are difficult, he inserted an IV. Once that was in, my anxiety got worse so they ended up giving me something to calm me down. That worked.....for like 5 minutes and then I was freaking out again. The nerves reached a major high once they wheeled me into the prep room where I met my other anesthesiologist (the fact that I had 2 did not help the anxiety). So while the second guy was talking to me, someone was putting on my leg massagers, and the first anesthesiologist was fiddling with my IV. All I know is one moment I was answering questions and the next I woke up in recovery. I kinda felt cheated out of the experience. I wanted to do the whole "breath deep and count down from 100"...I know...I'm weird. So the moral to this story is there is nothing to worry about. It is a very uneventful experience. :D

Anethesia pretty much just gave me a nauseous feeling, but that eventually went away. Other than that it didn't really affect me very much. I remember waking up again in the same room I had left my parents in, so apparently I was still out of it while doing 2 hours in recovery. I was banded last March (actually a year ago, today)

The fear of being put under is what has kept me from even beginning to talk to a surgeon about having the lap band for the last few years. But I have finally made that first step and I have my 1st appt on Mar 22nd. I am still really nervous but ready to start feeling better and have more energy to play with my kids and just feel better about myself. I have had 2 c-sections that I was awake for and during my 2nd I had to be given a sedative because I was watching the monitor with my heart rate and blood pressure and as it went up I got more anxious and it went up more then I would get even more anxious and so on, it is something that I laugh about now but I remember being scared to death at the time, I have also been put under for a wisdom tooth extraction(I know its not the same as general) in which I was again very scared to face as well and I remember that as I started to feel groggy I started to giggle and just laugh hysterically and then the next thing I knew I woke up still laughing my @$$ off and it was all over. It hardly seemed like there was any reason to feel so frightened. I hope your apprehension to the general is not so bad any more and I wish you the best of luck with your journey and that you know that you are not alone in your fears as I am right there with you.

Good luck, Christina

Christina, thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns. I deeply feel that if I do not go through w/ this lap band procedure I'll end up "going under" for something else like a heart attack or stroke. My weight is at an all time high this year. I was cleared w/ the medical director last week from True Results to have surgery so I am looking at getting banded mid-April. My first c-section back in 2000 was under general and I simply hate how shallow my breathing was that day upon waking up. I have developed asthma since then and I am afraid "going under" will cause me pneumonia post operatively. I am FORCING myself to stay positive and look at all the benefits the band promotes. Thank you for your support! :D

I was afraid to go under as well. My surgery was on March 1st. I was fine with the surgery and believed that my surgeon knew what he was doing (he is the head person of the program after all). But with my size I was worried that there would be complications. On the day of the surgery, I expressed my concerns to my anesthesiologist when he arrived to introduce himself. Once he finally found a vein, mine are difficult, he inserted an IV. Once that was in, my anxiety got worse so they ended up giving me something to calm me down. That worked.....for like 5 minutes and then I was freaking out again. The nerves reached a major high once they wheeled me into the prep room where I met my other anesthesiologist (the fact that I had 2 did not help the anxiety). So while the second guy was talking to me, someone was putting on my leg massagers, and the first anesthesiologist was fiddling with my IV. All I know is one moment I was answering questions and the next I woke up in recovery. I kinda felt cheated out of the experience. I wanted to do the whole "breath deep and count down from 100"...I know...I'm weird. So the moral to this story is there is nothing to worry about. It is a very uneventful experience. :D

So how have you been doing since surgery? This is another concern I have......how do you feel the following two weeks after surgery? Does your throat or esophageal area feel swollen or sore?

Hey hun...I have asthma and I've had 7 surgeries including my lapband. I was very nervous too...and I can't remember what they gave me...I want to say it was the versed...that made me feel very calm and nice before surgery. Since I have asthma they gave me a nebulizer before surgery...and I did fine....I have had asthma all my life and have never had a problem with it for surgery. My asthma is mostly exercised induced ..and if I don't take my inhaler before exercise then I have a problem and need it desperately. As long as I take it before, I have no issues. I have woken up before (At home) and needed my inhaler though. Since surgery, I have had no extra problems with my asthma...its the same as it always was.. The surgery went really great...I didn't even have any gas pains...I think because they forced me to get up and walk as soon as I could..so make sure you do that and you should be golden. Good luck and message me if you need to! :)

Hey hun...I have asthma and I've had 7 surgeries including my lapband. I was very nervous too...and I can't remember what they gave me...I want to say it was the versed...that made me feel very calm and nice before surgery. Since I have asthma they gave me a nebulizer before surgery...and I did fine....I have had asthma all my life and have never had a problem with it for surgery. My asthma is mostly exercised induced ..and if I don't take my inhaler before exercise then I have a problem and need it desperately. As long as I take it before, I have no issues. I have woken up before (At home) and needed my inhaler though. Since surgery, I have had no extra problems with my asthma...its the same as it always was.. The surgery went really great...I didn't even have any gas pains...I think because they forced me to get up and walk as soon as I could..so make sure you do that and you should be golden. Good luck and message me if you need to! :)

Your the best Violet! I really needed to hear this. I should be getting banded mid-April. How did you feel two weeks post-surgery? Any chest tightness?

Thanx :) So are you! I'm glad I could put you at ease for a little while. Two weeks after surgery I was just fine...I didn't have any chest tightness or anything for that matter. I felt great. I was just about to start exercising again at two weeks out. Is chest tightness something that happens a lot? I haven't heard of it.

I haven't heard of chest tightness due to band but I am concerned about chest tightness due to asthma......I was curious to know if your asthma acted up because you received general anesthesia? Or has your asthma acted up due to getting banded?