Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated - Plateau & No Restriction

I was banded on September 15, 2011, and by all accounts I'm doing very well. I'm making healthy choices, following all the band rules, and I'm exercising. I've got a 14cc band, and my surgeon will only give me 1cc at a time, so I've been at 4cc for the past month. I had another fill on Tuesday, and I got him to give me 1.5cc this round, and am now up to 5.5cc. At this point, I have no restriction, the only reason I know I have a band is because I paid the 10% insurance didn't cover. I know it's only been two days since the fill so I understand that this fill may get me to a point where I will at least feel something resembling restriction - but nothing yet. I'm not to the point where I'm giving up and saying that this isn't going to work for me, but I am at the point where I'm saying I did this to get some help and #$&it I want help now!

Right now, I feel like my life is focused on denial. I'm not eating what I want to eat, I'm eating what I should eat, all in proper portions. I'm constantly hungry, and I'm always thinking about the things I'd rather eat even though I plan my food a day ahead and stick to the plan. If I didn't plan, I'd end up making bad choices. I quit eating after I've eaten my allotted portion, and I'm still hungry. The last time I actually remember feeling satisfied was after going out to dinner with a friend, and I ate the full restaurant portion. I explained this to my surgeon, and asked if I should see a psychiatrist, because I'm committed to making this work, and I'll do anything to get there. He doesn't think a psychiatrist will help, that my problem is about the lack of restriction, and once I get there I'll be fine.

Add to this the fact I've been at a plateau for a couple of weeks now and I feel totally and utterly defeated. I log every bite of food I take, and wear a Fitbit activity tracker to monitor my calories burned. There has not been one single day that I have consumed more calories than I've burned. In fact, it says that I should be losing about 3.2 pounds per week, which of course I am not. I had the stomach flu, and weighed the morning it started, ate a very small Breakfast before getting sick. Didn't eat or drink for two days, weighed before I started eating & drinking again and I gained a pound!!! I know it's a plateau but I just want to scream!!

I've lost 80 pounds since I started my preop diet, something I should be thrilled with and proud of. Instead I'm focusing on things I have not achieved yet, and the foods & portions I'd rather be eating. I look in the mirror and I'm still completely disgusted by what I see, because lets face it, my shape is still a blob (no curves). I look at my BMI, and I need 1 more pound to be just "obese" instead of "morbidly obese", so no progress there either. People never acknowledge to me that they can see I'm losing weight, & I don't think I look much different than when I started. I'm still wearing my biggest clothes because I can, and I can't afford new clothes every time I drop a size. I've gone from a comfortable 26 to a snug 20 as I did have to get a new pair of jeans, which just doesn't seem like a lot to me - as ultimately I need to get to a size 8.

I am so negative and down lately that I can't even stand to be around myself. If anyone can offer advice or suggestions to get me out of this negative cloud, I'll be forever in your debt!

First off, I was banded in Oct 2010 and have lost 105lbs so compare me to you and you're winning. This isn't a race. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your ass. Or mine. Or anyone else's thats battling the bulge. It took me over a year to understand the head games that go along with the band. First, you're not gonna hit restriction at the same time everyone else does. It took me 6cc's in a 10cc band to get any. I hear people say "oh when i get restriction i won't ever be hungry again"...wrong. Nothing about the band is gonna turn off feeling hungry. Its not going to stop your stomach from growling. Its just a tool, and its a tool that you have to work, and you ARE working it. I've managed to lose and haven't done crap really to lose. I eat what I want, when I want as long as I stay around 1000 calories a day. You have to have fuel to burn fat. Mix things up...one day have more calories then the next day, drop it down by a few hundred. When your body gets used to getting the same calories a day it gets stagnant. Also...relax. You're banded, not dead. You're doing great so far and you'll continue to do great. For me, because I'm not dead, and because I'm a food addict, I had to learn to control the food, not let the food control me. You're still letting food control you. Because you're always hungry, the food is controlling you and you're pretty miserable sounds like. When I want ice cream, I eat it. I have a scoop not a whole bowl. I don't deny myself. Whatever I want...I eat. in moderation. Thats the key...everything in moderation. You have to stop focusing on that "can't haves" and realize that you can have EVERYTHING just in moderation. I know there's gonna be people that post against me...thats ok :) each to their own. This is my journey. But you're really doing well :)

what else are you doing in your life, there has to be more than food. get busy doing something you like. I know when I sit at home I obsess too. I feel much better when I put someone or something else first. start living and enjoying your new life.

I think you posted this so someone would give you a kick, just a little kick in the butt! Get moving and find something - let us know what you find!!

Life is good and you need to enjoy it.

I wouldn't be upset if I weren't working as hard as I am. I do "indulge" in moderation if I've got a craving that won't go away. Most days I will have 1 or 2 hershey kisses as I'm a chocoholic, and yes, I do log them, and every other bite of food I put in my mouth. Last time I lost weight (140lbs), it came of much easier, I think because I didn't expect to be successful. My mind set now that I have the band is that it should come off. I didn't think I had unrealistic expectations, but maybe I do. My goal has been 10lbs a month, and until recently I've been able to get there. Unless something big happens in the next week, I'm not going to make it this month.

I'll try switching up the daily calories to see if it helps. I've just been pushing myself so hard that I've cut myself back so far that I'm only eating 600-800 calories a day. If I'm not losing at that, I can't understand what it's going to take to get this weight off.

My schedule does not allow much optional time for me. I get up for work at 4:30am, take care of the animals then get on the treadmill for about half hour. Then get ready & go to work. Get home from work 6pm ish, take care of the animals again, get on the treadmill for another 45mins, then come up and prepare & eat dinner, clean up the kitchen and any other household chores that need doing. After that I may sit for half hour or an hour max before I go to bed around 10pm. Not much time for me to fit anything else in the day. When the weather gets better, I plan to walk at lunch also. Weekends are just as full with stuff to do, some stuff you just gotta do, mixed in with fun stuff too. I usually manage to get in 45-60 mins of walking each weekend day as well - but if I'm going to miss a day, it's going to be the weekend.

Maybe work has something to do with this funk - I don't know. I won't go into it, but suffice to say I work for someone who hates me, in an industry that's dying, and I don't have a lot to keep my busy during the day, but I'm thankful that I still have a job in this economy. I'm taking classes again part time so I can change careers at 51, but it will probably be another year before I'll be able to make that jump.

Honestly, you're probably not eating enough to lose. Stupid as that sounds, you have to eat to burn. My surgeon says not to go below 1000 a day...not sure what yours says, each one is different. I'm like you, crappy job that pays pretty well...not sure how long we're gonna be around tho. Kids, husband, no time to do anything. Try adding some calories and see what happens but don't stress too much...you're doing good.

You have to talk to your surgeon about why he won't give you more volume in your fills. I had my first fill Monday, and he put 5 cc - to get 4cc into a 14 cc band. I doubt that any of your saline is getting in, let alone staying, in the band. There is always saline that stays in the line from the port and then leaks out, so with 1 cc at a time you're getting NOTHING and probably HAVE nothing. This is a mistake by your surgeon, and you have to discuss this with him ASAP.

ok, you are doing great. And if you have averaged 10 pounds a month, that is amazing! I wish I hadn't left my journal at home today so I could look at my monthly results. I have lost anywhere from 0-13 pounds in one month. These last few months I average prob 3-5 a month. Don't beat yourself off. It WILL come off!

My mantra has always been if you want different results, you've got to do something different. This is exactly why I chose to get the band in the first place. So when the scale gets stuck, I tend to decrease consumption and or increase exercise. There is only so much of that you can do before you just have to accept that you just have to wait 'till it gets unstuck. I definitely have trouble not accepting the fact that there is nothing more I can do.

Next month I will ask him about the possibility of leaks. He does back out what's in there before adding more, and he did confirm that I'm up to 5.5cc. I have no idea how much tubing there is that leads to the band, so I don't know how much is in the tubes vs how much is in the band - I just know that I don't have enough!

I had done some research last month, and found some documentation from Allergan that they recommend 4cc for the first fill, and another 3cc for the second fill. I showed it to him, and told him that leads me to believe that the majority of people will need 7cc to feel anything. He said I was wrong, and that I could do a lot of harm by filling to fast. I do trust him and his practice very much, and would absolutely recommend him to others, though I do have to admit, that I sometimes wonder if he's not padding his income by doing a dozen small fills instead of two or three larger fills.

And Holly you look FABULOUS! I won't allow a picture to be taken of me let alone post it because I hate the way I look. I long for the day I can look like you so I can post a picture!

I am frustrated. I have only lost 23 pounds since begining this journey. I eat the foods I am supposed to eat. I have restriction, not alot of hunger but the weight is not coming off. I was banded in August. I am so frustrated right now. I go to the doctor next week and I do not want him to tell me I am not doing what I should be doing. I am drinking the protien shakes and making good choices. The only thing I have not done is exercise regularily.

I am starting to get depressed and have feelings of regret. sad.png

I am in the same boat Darlene. I am praying at this time that as soon as Spring hits and Summer arrives maybe I will get it back up and running... I will be able to get out of this house and ride my bike and do some hiking. But I know all to well how you feel about the banding vs bypass feelings.

I was so happy at 1st and then I hit a wall and hit it HARD.. now I am moving up and down 10lbs back and forth.. it is really depressing... getting no where.. I feel like I just look gross and not getting better. :(

I am also depressed that there is NOT ONE support group in my area.. no people to hang with and talk with. really crappy.

I also was averaging around 10 pounds a week and I am on a plateau as well. I also wear my fitbit and log all my food. Only difference is that I do not have any fills. I have not even lost 5 pounds in the last month, but still workout everyday. I have learned that if I vary my calories (usually one day a week, I eat more than 1200), it seems to help. Our body gets used to things easily. Have to switch up the workouts and the calories every once and awhile. Something to try that has worked for me in the past!

Can't loose a pound had 2 fills since July 14th ashamed can't loose a pound so I havnt gone back for more fills guess I should just get over it and get more fills. But certain times of the day can't get anything down then later in day starving. Starting to believe this was a big mistake. Any advice welcome any suggestions.

I also was averaging around 10 pounds a week and I am on a plateau as well. I also wear my fitbit and log all my food. Only difference is that I do not have any fills. I have not even lost 5 pounds in the last month, but still workout everyday. I have learned that if I vary my calories (usually one day a week, I eat more than 1200), it seems to help. Our body gets used to things easily. Have to switch up the workouts and the calories every once and awhile. Something to try that has worked for me in the past!

As weight come soff, and you get closer to normal BMI, it doesn't drop as quickly! I go some months not loosing any, and then this month I gained a pound. I am on maintenance and it is hard to stay "normal" than to loose for me! Take care and don't eb negative! You can do it, so many others have. I started this at 42 BMI, and was 60 years old! I am normal BMI and 63, hang in there! Karen

Plateaus are a normal part of losing weight unfortunately. 80lbs is MASSIVE by the way and if you can maintain that for a few weeks and perhaps relax a little in what you do, then that's a success.

You can't always lose weight consistently all the time, just look at some long term lap banders to hear their stories and you'll see what I mean. There are really good success stories here - www.lapbandreviews.org

It can't always be plain sailing, just be patient, then get yourself ready in another few weeks to have another push really focus and lose some more weight.

Weight loss is easiest this way.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support. I continued to obsess all weekend, but I did let go a little bit. A friend asked if I wanted to go out for dinner Friday night, and we wound up at tgi Fridays. I checked out all the nutrition facts, and decided on a petite sirloin with two sides of ginger lime cole slaw, which brought me to a total of about 1100 calories for Friday. Saturday she talked me into looking at cars (I really need a new one, and was planning to use that as my "reward" for making it to Onederland). Found out they've got 0% financing for 60 months plus cash back, so now I have to decide if I should get it now or wait a couple of months per my original plan. That has totally preoccupied my thoughts, which I think was the best medicine of all. I've been eating in moderation - probably 1000 -1200 calories a day. I also bought a Leslie Sansone walking dvd and got a kettlebell with an intro dvd as well to change up my workouts. I will add that I LOVE them both. Not quite as boring as walking on the treadmill, and I felt more energized from doing them.

The best news is that the scale did move - not a lot, but the 1lb I had gained is gone, plus one more, so I'm technically down a lb. It's not a lot, but I'm ok with that as long as it's a downward trend, which it is! I sincerely hope that this funky mood is gone, cause as I said, I couldn't stand myself!