Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! New Here And I Have A Question.

I am really excited because I found out that my insurance will cover my WLS, but I have to complete a 6 month doctor-supervised weight loss program. Has anyone else had to do this, and if so, have you been turned down for surgery afterwards? If all goes well, I will be banded or having the sleeve done in September!

I did it and it was no big deal.. You will learn a lot too if they provide you with a dietician to meet with at your appointments every month. Good luck!

I had to do the same thing. Make sure you go to all of your appointments because the insurance company can denie you for approval.

I am in my 5th month of my 6 mos now. Will know the end of march first of april if i am approved. I cant wait.

I think most insurance companies require the six month program. I had to do it, so did my step-dad and my sister. I think its pretty standard. The doctor's are pretty good at making sure things get approved and that you are qualified before they put you through the six months.

there was another post a week or two ago asking same thing

I am really excited because I found out that my insurance will cover my WLS, but I have to complete a 6 month doctor-supervised weight loss program. Has anyone else had to do this, and if so, have you been turned down for surgery afterwards? If all goes well, I will be banded or having the sleeve done in September!

I had to do mine for 3 months and it really is not a big deal, at least it wasnt for me. Just make sure you keep your appts on time not before or after. The time will fly by....Good luck!

I had to do a two-year program. I saw my doctor approximately every two months, counted calories, and walked 5 miles almost every single day. I didn't do anything differently---I ate healthy, but on many of the days I ate way too much. During some visits, I lost weight, yet I gained on others. My weight never stayed the same, but the experience was a true snapshot of how my weight has yo-yoed most of my life. At my final visit, I had lost 14+ pounds in the two-month time period and was concerned I wouldn't be approved. However, my insurance company received my paperwork on February 15, and the approval letter was dated February 17. The two years actually passed by much more quickly than I thought they would.

wow Elizabeth 2 years? I am so glad i only had to do 6 mos.

I had to do a 6mo program too, it ends officially tomorrow so hopefully all my stuff for approval will go in this week, they told me it usually takes 2-3 weeks, of course I'm hoping for a much quicker approval! Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone! I feel better about it after reading all your responses.

wow Elizabeth 2 years? I am so glad i only had to do 6 mos.

I'm happy you only had to do 6 months, too. Initially, I was very discouraged after receiving the denial letter, so discouraged that I considered not persevering. In fact, I didn't make my first doctor appointment until two months later. However, once I got started, the time actually passed more quickly than I thought it would. Now, I am so very happy that I followed through.

I did it and got approved my first submission. Having surgery next friday. Goodluck do like we did, use it as a learning tool before your band. Don't be too concerned about weight loss, unless required by your insurance. My Dr used my first weigh in for the insurance, I have UHC.