Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turkey Neck?

Hi, It has been great to see the pounds melt off, and to feel more physically fit, awake, attractive, and every other good thing that accrues with dramatic band-fueled weight loss.

I have read the comments of others as they looked forward to the possibility of getting wrinkled up as a result of rapid weight loss, with comments like "I'd rather be wrinkled than fat. If that happens, so be it."

But what I have been noticing is that with my relatively significant weight loss (about 60 pounds in ten months with under 20 to go) that my neck is starting to look .... old. As I stare in shock in certain kinds of lighting, at 46 years old, I see the wrinkled neck of a 60 year old man. :faint:

I understand that we are supposed to wait a year before being able to truly assess whether or not we need surgery for skin sagging, and my surgeon says that nothing short of a face lift (something you can't really do with a bald pate) will work to fix a neck.

So my questions to you, my fellow bandsters -

1) Anyone else getting this turkey neck?

2) how do you feel about it?

3) have you heard of any ways other than a face lift to fix it?

4) how noticeable do you think it is to others, and how aesthetically awful do you think it is?

5) any feedback, insights, advice, commiseration?

So glad my fellow bandlanders are out there. I need your advice.

Best of luck, Brad

1) Anyone else getting this turkey neck? No thank goodness, but my mom has it from her extreme weight loss.

2) how do you feel about it? I don't like it.

3) have you heard of any ways other than a face lift to fix it? Nope, other than firming creams make it seem better.

4) how noticeable do you think it is to others, and how aesthetically awful do you think it is? I think it is very noticable in collared shirts somehow. If you really want to know my opinion (and I am known for being blunt), yes, I think it is gross.

5) any feedback, insights, advice, commiseration? My mom does some expensive firming cream and said that has helped. I will ask her what she uses. Don't pull, tug, or otherwise gobble while shaking your head. :P

Want to make a wrinkled, saggy, man neck SEXY? You can, in about a month and with no surgery or expensive creams. :yo:

Tan it, then show it off! People will assume you are rich, powerful, and secure with nothing but spare time. Bald too? Flaunt it. Wear polos, and tank tops with dock shoes! Wink at strangers. If you are comfortable, others will assume you have cause to be comfortable. :ip:

Congratulations on your weight loss AND your chic new chick-magnet. :hail:

:thumb: Brenda

There are a few neck, head exercises out there that do help with the extra saggy neck skin. I know that I have seen them in the Michael Thurman 6 wk makeover(which doesn't work by the way) But it has some cool exercises in it. I will see if I can get someone to scan them and send them to you. But it will be closer to the end of the week before I can get it done. Hope it helps. It did help firm mine up some and will continue to do them when and if I ever get banded! Congratulations on your weight loss!!

One exercise that I did years ago while losing 150 lbs was sit in a chair, keep your head strait (look straight ahead), then look up at the ceiling and kiss it (pucker up real hard, stretch those lips) then bring your head back down and relax. You should feel your neck tightening up when you kiss the ceiling. Don't go fast, do this exercise slow.

Nice thing about this is you can do it anywhere....... well except while your driving lolol or at work when the boss is looking at you :P

Yes it did help me. Do it a few times a day.

All I have for you is commiseration....

I lost most of my weight in the first six months, so it has been a year since that. I have a major turkey neck, with 3 or 4 bands running down it, not just one. It has not tightened in a year. I suppose you have to work on it somehow.

I don't like it, but it is better than a fat face. That's all I've got. Hope you find some good advice.

Hi all, thanks for your words of advice. It seems contradictory that stretching this bugger more (for example by blowing kisses at the ceiling) would result in it getting less baggy instead of moreso? Does any of this make any sense?

If anyone else has any advice, I am all ears!

Best, thanks, Brad

The kiss blowing tightens up the musles underneath the saggy skin, ostensibly sucking the sag up with them. Try it - I swear we won't laugh.

Another one that might help is to try and reach forward with your chin without moving your head, neck or back. Just shove that jaw forward.

Good Luck!!

after listening to a plastic surgen for 6 hours and a hour long private talk with a different one i'll tell you what they had to say about loose skin.

It can take UP to 3 years to shrink down.

the arms and legs will shrink more then any other body part.

and theres really nothing you can due outside of surgery that will have any big results.

there are creams that can help some, preperation h having the best results. yes i said butt cream.

outsid eof that we talked about surgery options and cost.

Want to make a wrinkled, saggy, man neck SEXY? You can, in about a month and with no surgery or expensive creams. :yo:

Tan it, then show it off! People will assume you are rich, powerful, and secure with nothing but spare time. Bald too? Flaunt it. Wear polos, and tank tops with dock shoes! Wink at strangers. If you are comfortable, others will assume you have cause to be comfortable. :ip:

Congratulations on your weight loss AND your chic new chick-magnet. :hail:

:thumb: Brenda

Thanks for the giggle :mad: That is just sooooooo true. Honestly, it is. Wear a fair dinkum (a little Aussie colloquialism in there for you) Rolex and expensive clothes and nobody will even look at your neck.