Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 Days Post-Op Plateaued Weight

I had surgery on February 6th. I am 15 days post op, when I started pre op diet I was 205 lbs, day of surgery I was 200 and today I am 192. Any weight I have lost has been from liquid diet and has now plateaued. I started exercising 5 days ago and have been going back and forth between 190-193 lbs. I want to be able to lose at least another 5 lbs before my first fill but don't seem to be getting there. I am sticking to post op diet and can't seem to figure this out. I am working out daily about 45 mins, treadmill only because thats the only thing my doctor has allowed me thus far. Any suggestions or advice? I actually have a trip to miami planed for March right before my fill (which is on the 16th), want to be able to get into the upper 180s range by then.

Well i was banded on 12/16 and when i went for my post op visit i had lost 11 lbs, i was so excited. Went for my 1st fill 1/19, lost 0 lbs...yep that's right 0, nada, nothing. Went for my 2nd fill on 2/15, weighed in only lost 2 lbs..Everyone is different, but don't expect this great amount of weight loss too soon. Right now your body is healing and that's what you should be focusing on. Since i had my 2nd fill last week, the scale is finally moving for me.

It's not a plateau unless you don't lose anything for three weeks or so! At only 15 days, you're still getting accustomed to the band. You haven't been banded long enough to plateau. I just put 1.5lbs back on since my first fill last Friday. Things don't always move in a single direction or quickly. I lost more weight on the pre-op diet than I did in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Hang in there!

Hi Bumblebee - I feel the same way...lost 11.2 pre-op and after 2 weeks post-op had lost 15 pounds...now back up 3 pounds. I am a little discouraged but after reading above posts I guess the weight is not going to come off as easy as it did during the post-op liquid phase. sad.png

I'm glad everyone else had similar stories. I'm going back to the gym tonight, am determined to get to 180s before first fill. Will keep you all updated. :)

You have just been banded. You HAVE NOT started your weight loss phase yet. Of course everyone looses from the pre and post op diets. Has NOTHING to do with the band untill you are healed, and the Dr. begins to make adjustments (fills) to the band. Can take MONTHS before things start rolling along! And probably a year before you can say you are truley pleased with the outcome.

Sorry. You did not put this weight on in 2-3 weeks, and your're not going to loose it that fast either.

I feel the same way I've lost 20lbs since the 1 week pre op diet and the 1.5 week liquid diet post op. I have been on semi solid foods for a week and a half now and I can't seem to lose any more, I gain and lose the same 1lb. It is very frustrating maybe need to kick the exercise up. But the good thing is I am satisfied with less food I just wish the scale reflected it.

Here I am on day 9 ...I am feeling great..I have'nt lost a thing in two days, and I am not worried one bit..I did my research and know that it will take some time for my body to adjust. I am walking as much as I can and drinking my Protein and liquids. I have my first post-op appointmnet next week. It isn't that hard to do if you are fully aware of what this whole process is all about. Hang in there......time will show you the way !smile.png

I was banded on 12/21. I lost 11 pounds the first week on liqueds and another 14 since. However, I can go a whole week without seeing the scale move and than it will move a pound or two. I stopped getting on the scale every day because it was depressing me. I had one fill 2cc and have no restriction. I don't eat any bread, no drinks accept tea and Water, and very litte carbs. I know there are going to be times when I don't lose weight and times when I do well, it is a journey. Don't fret and keep on eating right and exercising (although I have been very lax with excercising) and it will all work out. Good luck!

Glad to hear your doing better.

Lap Band literature says 1-2 pounds per week average. That's it. This is not a quick weight-loss procedure. I averaged 0.75 lbs per week. But the trend was downward. Just work on good habits, the rest will follow.

I was banded Jan 3oth and am having a similar experience to other posters - my scale has been showing the same weight for almost two weeks now. I do understand that the weight loss is gradual, but I am sticking to the eating plan (900-1100 cal/day) and ex

ercising (one half hour of elliptical or walking) and I'm frustrated that the scale has not budged despite being hungry every two hours. I have been logging everything on myfitnessplan and will print it out and bring it to my nutritionist to get her opinion and recommendations. Also, my doctor seems to be very conservative and my first fill is not until May 1st. I don't know if I can continue "being good" until three months post op with all the hunger I am experiencing. On a positive note, I am already off two blood pressure meds!rolleyes.gif

I was frustrated for a while because I actually gained weight when I went from liquids to mushies, and stayed the same when I went from mushies to soft foods. I added exercised, and count my calories. I always eat Protein first, and while I'm not full, I'm satisfied for a while. Finally, everything is falling into place. Had my surgery on Jan 30, no pre op diet, and have lost 21 lbs. I will happen for you too, and I can't wait for a fill, but unfortunatlely, this is where our will power has to come in!

I was banded Jan 3oth and am having a similar experience to other posters - my scale has been showing the same weight for almost two weeks now. I do understand that the weight loss is gradual, but I am sticking to the eating plan (900-1100 cal/day) and ex

ercising (one half hour of elliptical or walking) and I'm frustrated that the scale has not budged despite being hungry every two hours. I have been logging everything on myfitnessplan and will print it out and bring it to my nutritionist to get her opinion and recommendations. Also, my doctor seems to be very conservative and my first fill is not until May 1st. I don't know if I can continue "being good" until three months post op with all the hunger I am experiencing. On a positive note, I am already off two blood pressure meds!rolleyes.gif

Our bodies let go of the weight when they let go of the weight. That is the biggest thing I learned through this process. Some weeks I'd eat the best I'd ever eaten and lose nothing. Other weeks I'd go way over on calories and lose. It is not always an immediate cause and effect.

I also discovered that my body would hold onto weight then let it go all of a sudden. I'd stay the same for weeks then post a 3-4 pound drop. Then I might gain 1, drop 2 the next, then stay the same for a few weeks.

Overall, the trend was down, and my health was improving. I finally figured out that this was all that really mattered. Being banded is a lifestyle and a lifetime event. It is not a diet that will end. Generate habits that you can live with forever, the rest will follow.

Get OFF the scale. The stress isn't worth it. Only weigh yourself once a week, at most.