Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old-Timers (3+ Years Banded) Recommitting To The Bandster Lifestyle

elcee,

I feel you, sweetness. That's what it was like for me since I got the leak. Even now, even though I'm apparently losing, I'm hungry in the morning. I was hungry this morning. I had Breakfast. I don't get hungry when I'm in the green zone, let alone in the mornings.

The thing that worked for me (and kept the weight off for the most part) in the time when I wasn't restricted was heavy Protein. So steaks, chicken breasts, pork, prawns. Fish and chicken thighs and eggs went through fast and next thing I knew, I was snacking.

I had oats for breakfast coz it kept me relatively full for fair period of time while not adding too many cals. Nice low GI diet.

I don't see Nottle for 3 weeks too and I will be very surprised if I lose anything between now and then. The funny thing is, I have restriction but it's just not enough. But because I lost, he refused to put more fill in on Friday. Frustrating!

So we can brave these next three weeks together, what say you?

On the other hand, whilst I was unfilled it was the bulky food that worked for me - so fir example salad and tuna on a fresh bread roll followed by an apple for lunch - that would have filled my tummy preband too.

Hang in there though your band is there and it ill be properly filled one day soon.

Well, of all the weirdness, the day I called to request an appointment to see the doctor, was the last day I had trouble. I seem to have returned to my pre-trouble restriction level.

I will still go see him once they call with insurance approval, but it is wonderful to be able to eat again.

Got on the scales this morning and I am up to 51.5kg. That probably has something to do with all the chocolate, biscuits and other junk I have been consuming lately.

I decided I have to get this under control NOW before it gets out of hand. Step no 1 ignore the Cookies in the cookie jar - tick. Step no 2 have a sensible , calorie controlled, high Protein , quick and easy breakfast - tick. Had a celebrity slim shake at approx 7.30am.

Problem. 8.30am and I am STARVING. Trying to decide what to eat that will not set me off on a morning of binging as there is no way I was going to be able to make it until lunchtime. Decided to have some yogurt.

My band at the moment feels like it is doing NOTHING. I have noticed that I am unwittingly eating faster. I was finished at the same time or before the rest of the family at dinner last night, OK I had a smaller portion but that is still not good. I have always been a fast eater and it seems without any restriction I still am. I only go back to see my Dr in about 3 weeks. How do I keep this under control until then? Should I be doing liquids, or low carb or just eating lots of bulky foods like fruit and veg? I'm confused - I haven't had to diet for 3 years and now that it looks like I need to I am finding it just as confusing as ever.

Suggestions appreciated.

i think u should do the "high Protein, lots veg, count cals....

Does anyone else go from being comfortable with there band to so tight u can't keep anything down. I am like a roller coaster some days are great others just plain stink. Any way to avoid this roller coaster.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yesterday for lunch I had roast lamb and salad on french bread followed by an apple and it was divine. I had forgotten how good apples taste. Wasn't so good today as I went on a garden group trip followed by lunch. Typical Aussie pub with the usual choices so I had fish. Normally I would only be able to eat 1 piece but today i finished both and had Pav afterwards! However that seemed to fill me up for the rest of the day as I didn't feel like a proper dinner - I ended up having a toasted Hot X Bun! Maybe not a good diet choice but it tasted really good and as "dinner" I didn't think it was so bad.

PM - sorry not sure about how to avoid the ups and downs. Maybe some days you are more stressed than others, dehydrated, hayfever affecting it more? You need to see if you can work out a pattern because then it might make it easier to be prepared and deal with it.

Denise - that sounds like typical Murphy's Law! Glad you are able to eat again.

Hi i am a sept 2008 bandster. It was good to see this thread. I have not visited this site for so long. but have done so to help me with a bit of motivation. I lost nine and a half stone after my banding and have maintained fairly well over the last couple of years but I have slipped into bad habbits and know only too well that I am not eating healthily. Yeh I am a chocoholic. guess i always will be but have got lazy lately and am grabbing choc bars instead of eating healthy meals. Anyway day three of my new eating plan and back to the forums for support and motivation. xxxx

Lol elcee,

I personally would love for you to contribute here!

coachramz and shues138, glad to have you onboard. And coachramz, I agree, I feel more motivation too just by having others around that are of the same mindset.

Denise, yeah it does suck, huh? I am telling myself that I'm lucky though - I lost the weight, THEN had issues. I feel for those who have had a slip or a leak right in the beginning. How de-motivating must that be? So that's me - trying to count my blessings!

And I have no idea what my dr has planned for the slip or the leak. The last I saw him was at my gastroendoscopy and all he said was that he thought I was leaking from my port, and depending on how much Fluid I'd lost by the next time he saw me, we would have to discuss whether to replace the port or just manage with regular fills. He also said I have a small prolapse, which might account for my ability to eat more, but didn't say anything about how he was intending to manage it. I hope I have more answers by Friday coz, like I said, I really miss my band!

I'm new here (I dont even have my Lapband yet). I'm from Montréal and I,ve been reeding a lot on this site to make my mind up. Sorry for my english, but I don't seem to understand what you mean by leak or or slip... do you mean the ring is actually leaking it's salt Water into your belly ? And waht aboit the slip ?

Does anyone else go from being comfortable with there band to so tight u can't keep anything down. I am like a roller coaster some days are great others just plain stink. Any way to avoid this roller coaster.

Mine varies from day-to-day. Usually I can eat something. But each day I never know how much I'll be able to consume. I, too, wish it were more consistent. That is about my only complaint about being banded. If I KNEW I'd only be able to eat THIS much, then great. But one day I can eat THIS much, the next day it is THAT much. I've not found any way of creating consistency from day-to-day.

Otherwise, it is all good.

Hello!! I officially hit 3 years post op on April, 2nd. Just wanted to say thank you all for all your posts. I just discovered this site and am so excited for it! I am learning and relearning so much! Just had .2cc removed from my band today and I finally feel like I'm in the green zone!!! Woohoo!!!! Thanks again for all your information! It's nice to know I'm not alone with some of the "issues"!

I'm only a bit past two years but having many of these same issues. Part of it is being at a weight that holds some weird memories for me. I've gotten to this point many times on past diets only to slip back up the scale and I do not want to do that with the lap band. Lap band has been a good experience for me and I don't want to sabotage myself. The big hurdle to get over is my sweet consumption.

So I hope you all won't toss me out for not being a three year champ, but just lurking has been encouraging.

Just for the record, I am down from 240 pounds to 163 pounds which is up from 158. The last three months I have been bouncing between 158 and 164. Had to have the Fluid removed for a couple of weeks in January due to a gastroenteritis issue and though I've had a refill, I just haven't been able to get my head back to where it needs to be.

I am actually a bit panicky about reaching my goal of 148 and have sabotaged myself on past diets at exactly this juncture. Don't know why it frightens me to contemplate getting what I want and what I've worked so hard for. I'm certainly old enough to know better and hope communicating with others who are recommitting will be the boost I need.

I'm only a bit past two years but having many of these same issues. Part of it is being at a weight that holds some weird memories for me. I've gotten to this point many times on past diets only to slip back up the scale and I do not want to do that with the lap band. Lap band has been a good experience for me and I don't want to sabotage myself. The big hurdle to get over is my sweet consumption.

So I hope you all won't toss me out for not being a three year champ, but just lurking has been encouraging.

Just for the record, I am down from 240 pounds to 163 pounds which is up from 158. The last three months I have been bouncing between 158 and 164. Had to have the Fluid removed for a couple of weeks in January due to a gastroenteritis issue and though I've had a refill, I just haven't been able to get my head back to where it needs to be.

I am actually a bit panicky about reaching my goal of 148 and have sabotaged myself on past diets at exactly this juncture. Don't know why it frightens me to contemplate getting what I want and what I've worked so hard for. I'm certainly old enough to know better and hope communicating with others who are recommitting will be the boost I need.

WOW! sounds like me with self sabotage! i have have lost and gained the same 10 pounds for 2.5 yrs atleast!!! 180-170lbs back n forth! WELCOME! hope you find what helps you here!

UPDATE on me.....

Just got back from docs....had rest of Fluid removed from my band. My reflux is horrible! feels like slime lump in my throat ,cant lay down, hard to swallow. went in there and said i was ready to have my band removed. they agreed with no argument. so i am going in this thurs!

Hi Everyone, Sorry I have been MIA. I have been very ill. Went in on Fri, April 6 for a quick gyno procedure. Felt great Sat, but Sunday not so well, by Monday fever 101.5, by Monday night 103.8, by Tues in the Emergency Room on IV fluids and antibiotics.

I stabilized while in the ER, so they sent me home, called next day to say the blood culture was positive (Sepsis) and I needed to come back, so back to the ER for more tests and another doctor exam to be certain I did not need to be in the hospital.

Apparently I got a bladder infection (I say from the catheter, doc says I could have already had it--ok, the world will never know). The bladder infection when up through my kidneys and into my blood to become systemic.

All I can say is WOW. Since April 8 (Easter Sunday in the US) today is the first day I have felt up to being online.

I am down 9 lbs though. NOT a good way to go about it, and it will probably come back on, I am sure. My ticker was a little bit off, but I am below it now by several pounds. Ah the joy!

UPDATE on me.....

Just got back from docs....had rest of Fluid removed from my band. My reflux is horrible! feels like slime lump in my throat ,cant lay down, hard to swallow. went in there and said i was ready to have my band removed. they agreed with no argument. so i am going in this thurs!

Are you going to have revision surgery? Hope you're feeling okay. I haven't been on here in a while, I've been so busy at work it's not even funny.

The last time I went in for a fill 4/2/12, I only lost 6 lbs in a month, but I spent a week on vacation not working out and eating like crap. The APRN decides to put me on Adipex. This past Wednesday I went in for a f/up appt and lost 7 lbs. IDK if it's the band or the medication, but I can eat small meals and be satisfied for 4 + hours. I go back on May 21st for a fill. I have a 4 cc band and I think I'm almost at capacity. If that happens, and I don't lose a ton of weight in six months, I may look into revision surgery. I'm tired of the ups and downs.