Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Mentally Start Over?

I'm right there with you guys. I was banded April 2011 lost 94 lbs by January & then got an unfil bc I was having a lot of trouble with solid food. Since my unfil January 19th I have gained 4 lbs & find myself going back to bad habits. It's hard loosing 10 lbs a month 9 months straight & then nothing! I am very disappointed in myself:( However I have come to realize that this affirms why I got the band. I need it to help me & I haven't truly fixed my mind yet.

Sorry to hear all of us are in the same boat. The Lap Band Support group therapist I went to actually just started a group last week (16 week class) that was covered by my insurance (as group counseling) to deal with Emotional Eating. We're obviously all battling our food demons and emotional stress and having to "restart" mentally. It's hard but if we take it day-by-day and look at the small wins (the big one making the decsion to live longer by having this surgery) then we'll be OK.

I was banded in July 2011 and was down as low (high) as 40 lbs but because I haven't felt any restriction and haven't learned how to deal with my food issues, the weight started creeping back up. I'm now 30 lbs down but my goal is to make my goal weight by the end of this year. I know it will be a struggle - I'll probably even sabotage my success but all I have to do is look at my kids (and my fat driver's license photo) to remind myself of where I've been and where I want to be - - alive to see my kids get married and have families of their own.

Best of luck to all of us. We're already winning - we're looking to each other for support and we're trying hard to deal with our issues.

May

GLove: hope you have a date scheduled soon. Best of luck. The recovery is hard the first couple months after surgery but then you'll feel fantastic.

P.S. I am a SoCal person as well.

@May, I just read your blog. Really enjoyed it. Tell me, can you eat salads yet? I hate the thought of not being able to eat raw veggies. I juice, so perhaps I can juice my veggies and still get the great nutrients in that way.

Hi GLove. First of all, sorry for the horrible spelling errors in my last post (I think I cleaned it up). I have definitely been able to eat salads (a Souplanation visit at least once a month) and side salads for dinner with no issues. Becuase of this last fill (on Monday) which puts me now at 8 1/2 ccs full, I won't know if I'll be able to eat salads like I have been able to but like you, I will look to juicing because I hate to think I'm missing out on veggie nutrients. My doctor on the other hand, thinks veggies are overrated and thinks the body just needs Protein.

May

wow!! thats what Im going thru---the whole mental block thing. I havent given up, but Ive just slowed down my activity & thats bad!! I havent lost weight since January--Ive not gained either. Ive had 2 fills so far, I feel some restriction. My other problem is, I dont chew slowly & thoroughly & I eat too fast.

We will get out of our slump & carry on!! Positive thoughts of encouragement being sent your way!

Wow this was up my alley. Been banded since 9/2011. First yer I was a beast! Working out, running, teaching Zumba. Then bandiversary came and went. By oct off the wagon an gained 15lbs of the 70 I lost. Started "snacking" overriding the band by eating ice cream, sweet tea, frappucino and coffee almost daily.

YES u can trick the band by drinking high calorie drinks, ice cream etc etc

Just got a full for first time in almost a year and I hope to be back in track. Doc was not upset, said we're gonna keep filling to stay on track and reach my goal. Gettin slowly back into my exercise

Hey I'm going through the same thing. I have gained and lost the same 1 pound for the last two weeks, after losing 50 pounds since surgery (not easy, but I followed the rules). I am still following the rules, but a couple of business lunches have taken their toll this week. At least with the band, it is relatively easy to go back on the diet. Now if I could just quit being so hard on myself...that is the difficult part. Try to be kind to yourself, you are only human and you are so very close to your goal weight (lucky you!).

I still eat too fast but my portions still pretty good. I did not get my 2nd fill as I had lost 5 lbs so he has happy- I wasn't, but maybe ill lose 5 lbs more.before next mo? least the gym is becoming a part of my life and hopefully with summer near -i will really drop with pool n beach etc and eating fruits etc --just a whole different enviroment for me. I am ready to sweat the lbs away/

I can't stress this enough - the band and getting it filled is supposed to help you.

I'll paint a picture: I have a leak, so have had no restriction for 2 months. I've been watching what I eat, measuring my food, counting calories exercising, all to maintain my weight.

I saw my dr yesterday and he withdrew all the liquid from my band. I had 5cc of the 7cc he put in there a couple of weeks ago (so definitely leaking). No wonder I was hungry all the time!

I got to his offices absolutely starving (because I hadn't had lunch) and he decided to push my band up to close to the point where I had the best restriction (8cc).

In the few seconds it took for him to depress the plunger on his syringe and put that 8cc, I went from hungry to not-in-the-slightest-bit-hungry.

That's what being in the green zone is. It stops you from being hungry. I have been killing myself trying to stay away from chips and ice cream and slider foods the last 2 months and today, after the fill, I have zero desire for any of it.

So if you're struggling, go get fills and get in the green zone. I cannot stress that enough.

I know exactly how you feel. I had to have my band unfilled totally due to needing my gallbladder out. Since then its been a nightmare. I drink soda and been eating sweets and eating all kinds of crap. I think the best thing to do for us to get back into it is just to jump back in. I got my band refilled today and I am so ready! I wanna start losing weight again!

Sorry you had to have gall bladder removed, hope you are feeling better. BUT you have 9lbs is to go WOWEEE congratulations!! Maybe that's why my surgeon is going slow, and as long as I'm loosing every month, I will get there, I just need for warm weather to come. The blood work came back depleted of Vitamin D- they gave me pills, hope this gives me more pep- but I am ready for that SUNSHINE- feel better Dawn- you will make it

!

Hey everyone, OP here....just wanted to update. Weighed in today and im 165.4 !!! I need to update my ticker. Total loss is 64.6. I have basically gone back to basics...weigh, measure, no soda, sliders, track my food. I have allowed myself treats (pizza, mexican food) bc i am living life afterall.

Best part is I fit in a size 12 now!!!