Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tacoma Mom Says Hi While In Waiting Limbo

Hi everyone,

My name is Kelly, I am 36 years old and live in Tacoma WA. I am married and have have 3 boys - 18, 4, and 2. I have been interested in the Lap Band since January 2011 when I went to a seminar after signing up for a contest to receive a free lap band. Of course I didn't win, but it made me aware of the procedue and I decided I really wanted to do it. Luckily my insurance covers it, but it leaves me a large out of pocket amount. With having 3 kids, a husband laid off periodically (in the construction industry) and their medical bills to cover, I just couldn't save up the extra money. It has been on my mind for over a year, and finally this January I said enough is enough, it's time for ME. I contacted my HR at work and requested access to my 401K funds and was able to start my journey.

My insurance company (Carpenters Trust) requires either 6 months of medically supervised diets OR 3 months of a pre-op program thru the WLS office. Of course I am doing the 3 months.wink.png I had my first nutritional appointment in January and weighed in at 255 lbs. I am only 5' 2 1/2" tall, so my BMI was around 45-46, definitely a candidate. I had my physical exam, pshychological exam, and met with the surgeon the next week. Then the insurance coordinator gave me a list of things to get - recommendation letters, 5 years of chart notes proving my obesity isn't just newly acquired (yeah right!), and a list of all the diets I have ever been on. What a trip down memory lane that was.

One thing that I did differently than some others was I did not get my PCP's approval or opinion until I started all of this. I decided that I know what's best for me, and I didn't want to have to convince anyone or be dissuaded. The WLS office agrees that I could benefit from the LB, so I didn't tell any of my providers until after I began the process. I had a complete physical with my PCP and after reviewing my medical history and family history (diabetes, heart disease, obesity) he gave me his approval and wrote a nice and encouraging letter. Same with my chiropractor (hip problems caused by the extra weight) and accupuncturist (planter fasciitis caused by the extra weight).

I've been on the pre-op diet for 3 weeks now and have lost 8 pounds. Yay! biggrin.png They said it's the phase of retraining myself to eat slower, chew my food properly, learn all the foods I should and shouldn't eat, and eat smaller portions. At first I thought it was so stupid why I had to spend 3 months proving myself, but now I get it. If I didn't learn these things, then when I have my Lap Band I might have issues that cause harm or no weight loss. The hardest part is being hungry - which the lap band will help later - and the nutritionist said at my appointment yesterday that if I'm still hungry after eating the way I will later, then I can go back for seconds. It's not about how much I eat right now, but about HOW I eat. That really took the edge off and I think the rest of the time will fly by.... or at least I'm hoping!

After talking with some of the women at the WLS center about their experiences with their friends and family, I decided I didn't want to talk about this with anyone outside of the medical professionals and other people who have received the LB. I know some people tell everyone, and that's what I thought I would do since I'm a HUGE talker.rolleyes.gif Then I learned how much of the process will be based on MY choices and MY will power and MY determination. The Lap Band is only a tool that I need to succeed, but I will be doing most of the work. If people know right off that I have the LB then my hard work will be disregarded as insignificant - "she has the lap band, of course she's losing weight". I don't need a cheering section, but I don't want to be discouraged or belittled, and I also don't want anyone watching over my shoulder to see if I'm going to eat something I'm not supposed to.

As of now the only person who knows is my husband. Maybe some of you have husbands that are talkers and chat like other women, but my husband is not. wacko.png I want to talk about every step and every goal and every feeling I have, and I can tell he's being supportive but would rather not talk about it all the time. Not having anyone to talk about this with is really hard. None of my friends have the weight issues I do and I don't think they would understand - "just eat less and excercise more, the weight will eventually come off". Wish it was that easy. I have some family members that would be candidates for the lap band and would probably even support me, but I worry that since they can't afford it (no insurance and no money) that I would run into jealousy and bitterness.

The WLS center has support groups that meet twice a month, and I'll try to start going, but I really needed someone to talk to about all of this. That's when I found this website, which is great! I've already read a lot about others' experiences. If there is anyone who lives in my area that would like to meet for coffee and chat, let me know! I'd love to start a circle of friends that can support each other.

Sorry about such a LONG get-to-know me post....as I said I'm a huge talker and have a lot to say right now. Thanks for listening!

~Kelly wub.png

I wish you the best of luck. Much like you, I didn't seek out my pcp before making my decision. My hubbie isn't really chatty either. I didn't even tell him I was considering wLS until I had made up my mind. We have good insurance through Screen Actors Guild or else we wouldn't be able to afford it. I have run into a little jelousy but people who really care about me will love the healthy happy me and I surrender those relationships to God. I don't really spread word about my surgery but if someone asks I tell, just because I saw it as an easy button for people with money before I did my homework on it, maybe I can help someone not count themselves out. This site is awesome and people are informative, eager to share their experiences very candidly. Good luck to you. Know that everyone here is different but we all got your back!

i had mine yesterday, paid out of pocket and am ready for the journey ahead.

Kelly, I enjoyed reading your post. Good luck. You will gain a lot from this website.

Jason, you had your surgery yesterday? How are you doing? please tell us about your experience in the hospital!

went in at 5;15am, they took some blood, checked my vitals, had me change and took me down to pre-op. At about 7:00am they took me in and put me to sleep. I opened my eyes at 9:30am. They brought me to recover with my wife around 10am. At about 12:30pm they had me get up and try to use the bathroom and drink. I was dizzy so they laid me back down. Got me up again at 1:45 and had me drink a cup and 1/2 of Water. I was still dizzy but they made me stay in the chair and did a breathing treatment. About 2:30pm they got me dressed and had me walk. I was discharged at 3:15

Thanks Jason. How are you feeling today?

Hi there! I am down in Portland and am currently waiting to see if my insurance approves or denies. I am turning 24 this year and I decided I had already spent the last 6 years doing every diet under the sun without any long term accomplishments. I wish you success on your journey!

Kelly - welcome! I'm a NW girl myself. I grew up down the road from you in Kitsap county. I currently live in Idaho but all of my family are still in Washington. I'm so happy for you that you are going to be able to get the LB. I'm still in the 6 month pre- op phase myself but am losing nicely. It is a learning curve and I didn't Like the wait either but like you I understand it. It will be exciting to watch your journey! This is a good place to come for encouragement and mental preparation.

blk-weight.png

i feel good