Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Experience Issues With The Tsa While Flying W/ The Band?

If you have, did you go through a body scanner? What happened if you did?

I've flown plenty of times since being banded. The first time I had to go through a TSA checkpoint I was freaking out, but guess what? It's fine! I know with my band, there is some metal where the port is, but it's not enough that it would detect it, and if they do, be honest "I had a lap band implanted" I'm sure you wouldn't be the first or the last.

I haven't been through a full body scan, yet. The airport I usually fly out of has one, but we fly out so early in the morning that I think they just want us to get out of their face lol.

What's great about flying now, no more seat belt extenders for me! I remember the last flight I took, about two weeks before my surgery, I was soooo ashamed to ask for one that I kind of sneaked to make it look like my seat belt was fastened when the flight attendent came by (I remember I had a big hoodie on), when she walked away, I just didn't keep it on. I don't suggest doing this though I was young and dumb.

Have safe and fun travels!

I've been through the bossy scanner twice with my band. Both times in Orlando international airport (starting to dislike that airport... LOL). The first time they also patted me down but I think it was due to my necklace having been under my shirt so they saw that. Second time was fine. The scanner does not see through your skin in anyway, it is not an x ray machine. There fore it shouldn't see your band.

I've flown several times, airports in Canada, USA, Central America and England, since being banded and haven't had any issues.

I've flown many times since being banded and have been through the body scanner several times and they have never even patted me down so either it doesn't show up on the scanner or they know what it is...either way, don't worry about it...

It's funny that you ask this. I asked this to my PCP last week. She has a hip replacement and said she thinks it depends on the airport's system. She flew out of O'Hare and was stopped and searched. But coming home had no issues.

I'm flying in April so I'll be curious if I set anything off. She advised that if it does go off to just have them wave the wand over my abdomen. Yeah. That would be too awkward.

I never thought about this but I am about to travel for the first time in a month. I hope they don't think I have a wired thing in my belly and think its something bad. I will post once I see what happens

my husband travels for work and so far there has been no problems. I have to fly out in July...just watch, I will probably have a problem. I am the lucky one that gets it all even when I travel with a group of people, a priest and a few nuns and I always get to be the lucky one. sheesh! Sometimes I think my group pays for these conferences just so I'll go and they breeze on by while I have to stay back for a bit! LOL!