Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post Op- Did I Make The Wrong Decision?

I am one week post op and feeling down and indecisive. Did I make the wrong decision? Everyone supports my decision and is encouraging. I have lost 22 lbs- yet- I look at my overweight body and see all this flab- I feel lousy- all liquids sicken me- feel pretty awful. sleeping on my back is impossible, taking my regular pills make me gag- will I ever be able to eat normally again? I am plagued with doubt. Can a banded person ever have Cereal, Soup, a sandwich again? I need some encouragement. My local support group doesn't meet until the 2nd Wed. in March. I want to lose weight and gain my life back, yet I know this current weight loss is not sustainable- it's because I am not eating at all- not realistic- Help!!Banane15.gif

It does get better. You will definately be able to Soups and most other foods. As far as bread goes, every bandster is different - some have no problem with bread, others need bread to be toasted, and some can't tolerate bread at all. I don't know if I can eat bread because I haven't tried; I haven't wanted to.

Rest, heal, and follow your doctor's dietary recommendations. You will be fine.

Since I have been banded, I survived (and enjoyed!) Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have eaten at restaurants. I have had pizza and Chinese delivery. I have been to Disney and eaten there. Last night, I had 2 cups of air popped popcorn with a tablespoon of real butter.

Life didn't stop because I have a band; life did stop being about food. My food choices have become more about what my body needs because giving my body the quality it needs makes me feel better. Because I am eating slower, I take the time to savor my food.

Good luck on your journey to good health. I hope you enjoy life as a bandster as much as I do.

You're not alone! I was feeling pretty awful at one week out, but now I'm a whopping two weeks and one day post surgery and I feel much better. Hang tough! One thing that swayed me toward this surgery is the overwhelmingly positive attitude that banded people have about their bands.

I have had the same thoughts and sometimes feel depressed that eating will be completely different for me, but then again, that's what got me in this spot in the first place. And then I think of one of the main reasons I did this....my grandkids. When I see their faces I know I'd do anything for them, and if eating healthy is what keeps me around a little longer to watch them grow up, then so be it.

You are going to be fine. What you are feeling is normal for most but by next week you will say to yourself...what was I thinking. You will gradually graduate up to eating some of the things you once ate. Right now your stomach is swollen and you need to give it time to heal. Crush your pills and take them with a little apple sauce, well this is what I was able to do. Just check with your dr.

I agree with the other replies, you're going to be fine. I remember walking (hobbling) down the street a few days after my surgery, every step painful and just feeling like I had destroyed my body. It hurt so much to breathe that I was taking these little shallow breaths, until my body would suddenly take over and sharply inhale... which hurt like a mother. I was having crappy Soup and little sips of this and that through out the day. Everything was disgusting, everything made me feel sick... and I really did feel like I had ruined my life. What kind of person does this to themselves, etc....

A week later I felt absolutely fine. I am only a little over two weeks post op today, and I have felt absolutely dandy for awhile now. No problems whatsoever.

As far as eating in the future goes... I refuse to let myself mourn the fact that I will no longer be able to stuff my face with an entire pepperoni pizza while I watch a movie, or order the super sized version of everything and pig out... People with bands seem to be able to eat mostly anything, in small doses... which is what I have basically wished for my entire life, that I could do that. If it turns out I won't be able to eat something... well, I consider that a small price to pay given what I am likely to gain in return.

Chin up, you'll feel better. Much better :)

How you feel is totally normal. The first couple of weeks are all about healing. With each passing day, you should start to feel a little bit better. You have lost 22 pounds and that is amazing. Try to focus on that and not what you look like in a mirror. It took me about a month to feel completely normal again and the weight is coming off (I don't mind the mirror now, as much as I used to). Drink a little, walk a little, take your pain meds when required and get lots of rest...and you too, will feel better. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS..Bread and Peanut Butter are two things that I have to avoid or I get stuck, but toast is okay. I can eat pretty much anything else, just not large amounts of it.

Yes life does get better! For either good or bad I am one of those bandsters who can basically eat anything. I choose not to eat pizza everyday (which at one point of my life I did. No kidding). I try to eat by the 95/5% rule. Eat correctly 95% of the time and enjoy your treats the other 5%. The only bread I've had trouble with is cheap rolls you get at low end restaurants. I reallllyy really like bread so I choose my battles. If there is good bread to be had I can have some but I choose not to eat lesser bread the rest of the time. I don't tend to eat sandwiches because the bread is not the star of the sandwhich so only have the filling. You will be able to eat out again you will just need to choose healthy foods and to probably pack up half of what you are served.

I am almost two weeks out and feeling really good. After the first week I felt a little better every day. Meeting a friend of mine for lunch today and plan on having Soup. Looked at the menu online and decided a head of time what I can have there. About the flab, I try to avoid the mirror and just take one day at a time.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. I have been having a pretty lousy day (exactly 1 week post-op) but I did try some applesauce which wasn't bad, and had 4 oz. of a Protein Shake. Smells are still making me gag, and I have no desire to eat yet know I must drink something. I might try some Soup later and hope for the best. I go back to work on Monday, and hope I can make it through the day teaching 180 kids in high school daily. Pray for me!

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. I have been having a pretty lousy day (exactly 1 week post-op) but I did try some applesauce which wasn't bad, and had 4 oz. of a Protein Shake. Smells are still making me gag, and I have no desire to eat yet know I must drink something. I might try some Soup later and hope for the best. I go back to work on Monday, and hope I can make it through the day teaching 180 kids in high school daily. Pray for me!

My absolute worst day post-op was one week to the day after my surgery, and it was my first day back at work. I went back to work to do a "short" job and it ended up taking all day. I thought I was going to die, almost literally. And no one I work with knows about the band, so I just had to suck it up! On the bright side, that day was my last bad day and I have since improved dramatically! Good luck to you!