Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can We Talk About Straws?

Why can't I use them?

Is this forever?

If it's not forever, when can I add them back in?

It takes me so much longer to get a gallon of liquids in without a straw.

Thanks in advance!

They say that you get too much air when you are drinking out of a straw and that can cause problems with your band.

My doctor says you don't HAVE to cut out straws but it is suggested. If you do, you should wait until you are back on "regular" food before going back to straws so that it will serve it's intended purpose of not getting too much air into your stomach.

there was a prior post, saucybandster, that said we would never/should never use straws again, Using straws gets air into our airways, making airbubbles where we don't need them. I'm like you I have a container of straws on my desk. What I have started doing is getting the Water in the 8 oz bottles, so it makes it seem that I actually drank something... let me know if that's changed!

Something so minor but it's quite annoying LOL. I have one of those ecofriendly clear tall cups with the plastic straw and I would fill it a few times and suck it down quick. Now it's taking me SO long to get them in and I don't want to get lazy on it.

Once i was back on solid food my doctor was fine with using straws.. is it your doctor saying no straws or just what u have read .. if your doctor says no then really u need to follow their advice :)

I have never been told not to drink with a straw and as I write this, I have a straw in my glass right beside me. I haven't had a problem but do follow your doctor's advice.

My doc says go for it. I drink better and get less air with a straw. Some people however can't tolerate it and get TOO MUCH air in their belly. In fact when I go for my fills I take a straw with me to use, otherwise I get too much air in my belly and then I can't determine if my fill is complete or if I really just need to burp to get the trapped air out. LOL....the straw alleviates this problem and I always get the perfect fill, which is just ANOTHER reason I reached my goal so quickly! A perfect fill everytime is most important to success.

Dancing_sorry.gif

Thanks everyone! My Dr didn't tell me no straws, I have just read it on here from so many people so I assumed.

I guess I will ask him at my appt next week and try it and see how I feel.

Congrats on getting to your goal ShrinkAdink!! I can't wait! I just 10 days out :)

I did see a post a while back about the no straw policy due to the air. Someone had purchased a Camelback water bottle that doesn't let air into the straw, so they were still able to drink from the straw, but not have the influx of extra air...

Oooh interesting! I will look that up and see if I can find one. Thanks!!

I was told the same thing about not using straws from my doctor's office. Maybe in the beginning it can add air but I found the opposite to be true. Using straws helps me and I don't seem to have any air problems from using them. I even drink my coffee or tea with a small straw. I think its 'suggested' but its not absolute. We aren't supposed to drink carbinated drinks and I drink Perrier Water or mineral water. I sip on them. Sometimes they help me when I need to burp or bring up air from my band.

I've actually never heard of the 'no straw' thing and I've been banded a long time! I never stopped using a straw ever.

I've been using a straw since Day 1. No problems here!

I have sort of a straw obsession..no way I could get my Water in without them! I have heard nothing from my support team suggesting that I should not use them. Good luck!

I have sort of a straw obsession..no way I could get my Water in without them! I have heard nothing from my support team suggesting that I should not use them. Good luck!

Hmmmm. A straw obsession? That sounds intriguing! ;-p I do prefer the reusable ones. Have to wash but they are larger and I don't break a rib if my Protein shake is a tad thicker.

I was, too, was never told no straws. It seems to be a 50/50 split on it here. I am a believer to follow your medical professional's advice. But I also know that this whole process is not an exact science.