Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Highs And Lows Of Weight Loss

So......I HAD to go shopping last night because I literally had nothing to wear. I gingerly approached the regular petite department in a major department store with a great deal of anxiety. I was sure to be humiliated by a clerk turning me around and heading me to the plus size department! Well that didn't happen so I began pulling 16p pants off the sale racks. I took about 6 pairs back to the dressing room and they were ALL too big!!!!! Long story short I ended up buying 4 pairs of size 14p pants and to jackets that were 16p- all 60% off!!!!! I was on such a high-realizing I truly was out of the plus size department for REAL and that I was not going to be glared at by sales clerks wondering what I was thinking trying to shop in their area. Where's the low?

Well I arrived home with my purchases and immediately started trying the clothes on... Caught a glimpse of myself in the full size mirror in between

outfits and went from a hundred to zero in one second. You see my legs have always been good. I'm an apple shape. I've always worn short shorts and love to swim. OMG!!!! My upper thighs have soooo much excess skin. Yuck! I expected the sagging in my stomach, but never in my perfect non dimpled, non celulite thighs!!!! So onto the computer I went looking at prices for a body lift as opposed to a TT!! Oh my, I better start saving my money!! lol

Just wanted to share. Really not complaining.... I FEEL wonderful!

Smaller clothes are wonderful! I can't wait to get back to being the clotheshorse I used to be. I'm also worried about loose skin, but I'd rather be smaller and a bit saggy than even bigger. Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it!

Well, CONGRATS on regular sizes!! Yay! I fondly remember that day.

Reality bites sometimes, doesn't it? I don't wear anything shorter than capris. But my weight was spread all over, so my thighs and upper arms deflated like balloons. I don't wear tank tops either. The running joke in my house is that if my DH makes me mad I will use my bat wings like a whip and he won't know what hit him from across the room!

Highland, you are in a size 14!! Congrats! And who cares what you look like underneath, people on the street don't see that! They see a normal size person, woo hoo! I do know how you feel though, had the same thing happen to me one time in the dressing room at Target! I know I prob still look the same way from the back, but I don't care. Yesterday I went shopping to buy a pair of size 6 pants to keep me motivated through the weekend to do good. Expecting them to be tight, I actually bought a pair and they fit! Drove home with the biggest smile on my face people prob thought I was crazy! I love nonscale victories!

Congratulations on such a wonderful milestone! I'm sure you're beautiful loose skin and all. Here's the difference . . . when you were over weight you covered up but people could still see the obesity. When you are thin and a little loose you can cover up and no one is the wiser. There is a period of tightening in your skin for a year after maintenance so keep active and don't dispair. If you are still unhappy you have options. I am thrilled for your graduation from the plus sizes!!!

My story . . . Lost 160 pounds with a trainer, diet and exercise, waited the year and had the surgery. I kept that off for three years then gained it back slowly over several years. So here I am, an expert at losing weight and a failure at keeping it off. I'm in the 6 month pre-op phase. I'm using my expertise at losing to get it off again (not going to wait for the lap band) but am getting the lap band so I don't have to experience failure with re-gain again. This is hard work so enjoy every moment. I also suggest you get rid of any clothes that are too big, donate or give to friends. This keeps you in check.

Seriously!!!!! Congratulations this is a big moment for you!!!!!

weight.png

Wow nubeginnings, you lost 160 pounds before? I can't wait to watch your journey! Best wishes to you!

I've just started this journey, had surgery on Feb 3rd. Have been thinking about the sagging skin issue. I love to swim too and was hoping that swimming four days a week might help tone and reduce some of the sagging.

Way to go! That is awsome! I went to the store today to buy a pair of "motivation jeans", I've been stalled out this month, and I ended up buying a pair in my "motivation size" that FITS perfect! 10 months ago I was in a size 26, now a size 14!!! Doesn't it feel great!

As for the body issues, my arms are my big insecurity. I am now looking into having them done. It's hard to come so far and then to see the residuel effects of not taking care of ourselves :( But these are our battle wounds.

My arms are the one thing I want done too. My tummy, I don't care so much about. It is tucked into size 6 pants now and no one sees it but my hubs anyways! My arms, now those are a different story! It's not so much the sagging, but when you add stretch marks in there it's not so pretty! Congrats on your motivation jeans. Looks like we both had the same idea and mine fit too! Who would have ever thought I would be in a 6??? No one, not even me!

Congrats to you all...today I wore a size 12 pair of jeans that a friend gave me because she is now at a 10. My friend was like your legs are smaller are going to be smaller than mine...I responded with "they may be, but you do not want to see what they look like." The only place my skin is sagging is my legs. I have worked my arms so much that they are real tone...my belly is okay, but my thighs not so much. My calves are very defined...so frustrating noticing what I did to myself, but all will work out!

Shakey, you have done amazing! 103 pounds down and you never needed an addiional fill? Lucky you! I just had my 8 or 9th fill, I have lost track now! Good for you and congrats on your success. And the skin on your legs I am sure is not because of something you did wrong. If you have worked out every other place, I am sure your upper legs were getting something out of it too. Don't be hard on yourself!

Congrats to you all. Truly inspirational.

This a great story! Made me laugh...the good with the bad I suppose! Congrats. on the weight loss! :)

Thanks...When I meant did to myself, I was referring to allowing myself to have gained as much weight as I did. I am proud of how well I have done so far. Getting frustrated with the slower weight loss now, but I know that I am at the last 20 or so pounds and that it is not going to be as quick as earlier, but I am going to keep at it. And yeah, I have 0cc in my band! The surgeon is happy and doesnt want to see me for 6 months! Feels good...thanks for your kind words!

Shakey, you have done amazing! 103 pounds down and you never needed an addiional fill? Lucky you! I just had my 8 or 9th fill, I have lost track now! Good for you and congrats on your success. And the skin on your legs I am sure is not because of something you did wrong. If you have worked out every other place, I am sure your upper legs were getting something out of it too. Don't be hard on yourself!