Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Failed The Lapband - Please Help Me.

I was banded in September 2010 and I failed the lapband. My emotional struggles with obesity is more powerful than any restriction that the band can provide. I must fix my mind before I can ever lose the weight. I can't imagine myself thin. I have successfully lost 45 lbs. and kept it off however, I still have 85 to go. I can't quit. I must continue to fight. I need your help. Please help me.

Maybe this is the journey you were suppose to take - fix the obsession with food first then continue to lose weight. I don't think you should consider yourself a failure if you have lost 45lbs and kept it off. I hope you're seeking help for the mental (hardest) part of the process. As long as you don't give up and stop you won't become a failure. Good luck - stay positive.

I was banded around the same time as you and have only lost 30....it doesn't mean you have failed. This will just be more difficult for us than it is for some people. Perhaps try something like OA? Or maybe a psychologist if you feel you need that much help. Keep up with your fills and eating right, and this WILL work! Good luck.

i am very frustrated right now ! there are many reasons why i eat, and one is because of the fact that i am overweight and i am upset so i just say f*ck it and keep eating. One thing that really helps me though is not going out to eat at a restaurant. As long as I sit down with myselft and eat with no distractions im okay. but once i have distractions it is almost impossible for me to do the right thing. I feel your pain and just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this.

I've found when I start to forget why I am on this journey I need to go back to liquids. The liquid diet has taught me a lot about why I eat and what triggers the desire to eat. I've found a lot of strength in denying myself things that are bad for me. When I make myself go back to liquids I do allow myself fruits and vegetables throughout the day if I feel the need to eat is overwhelming. Everybody's journey is different but I've found that once I feel strong and empowered with my weight loss my actions follow. Each day I wake up and tell myself "If I fail to plan for today then I am planning to fail." It's become my mantra. Every day is a fight but you have to just reminding yourself of the reasons it's worth fighting. If you lose your way one day, start back the very next day. In the end it's going to be worth all of the mental and physical energy.

I am newly banded and have lost 22 pounds since January first. I know my reason for doing this is for my health first. I am doing ti for me, but looking at it in a different light I am also doing it for My kids. I am taking care of thema nd I need to be here to do that. I have put a picture of the three of them on in the front dash of my car. I did that so I can remember although I need this for me I also want it for them. I would like to meet my Grandchildren someday! good luck!

you did not fail. you just need to start over with the basics. chalk it up to a lesson learned and start again. yes you have 85 lbs to go, but you have lost 45 so far. that is not failure.

I recently was on a modified Daniel fast. I still ate fish and chicken because we have to have our protien. I am saying this becuase I found when I was fasting and praying something happened. I was able to hear what God needed me to hear. food was not all of that after a while and there was a slip up in my 28day journey, but it did make me stronger. Fast something and pray about it. It does change things. You are not a failure. A failure throws their hands up and says oh well, you are seeking advice.

You are a third of the way there! You are doing great! Please don't get discouraged! You can do it!!!

I agree with the posters above. You haven't failed. You can always start over. The 45 pounds is a great success! I know it seems small when you compare it to the total amount you need to lose, so just don't compare the two. I have to lose about 200 pounds, and when I think about it in those terms I can't even get my head around it. So I divided it up into more manageable goals, and plan to reward myself in some way when I reach each one. I would recommend talking to a therapist. Mine has given me some great coping mechanisms, but I think the most important thing is figuring out whether you are actually hungry or just trying to distract yourself from something else. That and learning to be ok with the feeling of hunger were hard to learn, but vital.

Just remember, everybody makes mistakes, but what defines us as a success is what we do afterwards.

You can do this! smile.png

Hi. I am curious if you have any room for fills left in your band? Have you considered that? Maybe you don't have enough restriction.Also, I have to say I know a lot of people who got lapband revised to a vsg after either not losing enough weight or having their band erode or slip. Good luck I hope you can figure it out.

Hi. I am curious if you have any room for fills left in your band? Have you considered that? Maybe you don't have enough restriction.Also, I have to say I know a lot of people who got lapband revised to a vsg after either not losing enough weight or having their band erode or slip. Good luck I hope you can figure it out.

I agree.....I have been in the Green Zone for some months now. That means a few things. #1, I cannot over eat even if In wanted to. It is physically impossible. #2...My hunger has been curbed to the point that food is the last thing on my mind. I have to remind myself I HAVE to eat. I can, and have, gone 12 hours without anything except my Breakfast Protein shake. #3...my tastes buds have changed. Things that I used to crave, I just don't have the taste for them anymore. Like Ice cream. Does not turn me on. Can take it or leave it. Things like cake, donuts, etc, will only get stuck.

The only thing I need to do, is make wise food choices. For instance, I could eat Mac & cheese, but that is empty calories. So I go for the fish instead. Simple!

I've found when I start to forget why I am on this journey I need to go back to liquids. The liquid diet has taught me a lot about why I eat and what triggers the desire to eat. I've found a lot of strength in denying myself things that are bad for me. When I make myself go back to liquids I do allow myself fruits and vegetables throughout the day if I feel the need to eat is overwhelming. Everybody's journey is different but I've found that once I feel strong and empowered with my weight loss my actions follow. Each day I wake up and tell myself "If I fail to plan for today then I am planning to fail." It's become my mantra. Every day is a fight but you have to just reminding yourself of the reasons it's worth fighting. If you lose your way one day, start back the very next day. In the end it's going to be worth all of the mental and physical energy.

I love this response! Love the fact that you use liquids they way you do. I assume that includes Protein shakes, yes? And that you pointed out that everyone's journey is different! Well said!

To suznty: you are not a failure! Never. As Winston Churchill said: "Never ever give up."

The first thing you need to do is quit calling yourself a failure.

The second thing you need to do is seriously consider counseling. (It's worked for me, anyway). Your bariatric surgeon should be able to refer you to someone experienced with WLS and/or eating disorder patients.

Please don't give up! I don't know you, but surely you deserve the best effort you can give this.