Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch To 5K

So a friend and I have decided to start the couch to 5K program next week. I am sooooo nervous! I still have a long way to go to become physically fit and still almost 70 pounds to lose before I'm where I'm supposed to be. I'm really nervous I won't succeed at this. I'm excited to set a new goal, but definitely more nervous. Have any of you been through this program and succeeded? Were you physically fit when you began or were you a non runner like me? I have been going to the gym/walking for the past 3 weeks, 5X a week. That may have helped me a little. I just don't want to jump head first into this if it's not realistic. The program is supposed to be for people who are non runners. I just wanted to see if I could get some input on this. Also, if you have any suggestions for good running shoes. Thanks!

I have done the C25K a couple of times. The first time i did it I was about 250 lbs and 38 years old. There is nothing to be nervous about. You run at your own pace. I researched it quite a bit and the most common advice was "when you think you are going slow enough slow down even more". Don't be afraid to repeat weeks. If I ever felt like I struggled with a week I just repeated it. Don't be in a hurry, that's how you end up with injuries. Also, start with a good shoe. I went to a running shoe store where they look at your feet, look at the wear pattern on your shoes you are wearing, and watch you walk so they can tell you which shoe is best for your foot and your gait. The cool running website has a chat room for beginners and you can get great advice there. I have actually completed the program 3 times - unfortunately once I completed the program I quit running because I found running for 30 minutes straight boring. It helped me complete a sprint triathalon 2 years ago and a 5k mud run last summer. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. One last thing, a supportive running bra is soooooo important. I bought an Enell and it made such a huge difference!

I'm about to start it too!

I just started it last week and I agree with everything cls70 said. I am NOT in shape and definitely NOT a runner and I have survived! I made a playlist of only songs that have a good faster tempo and that are very motivational for me and I use a c25k app for the ipod. The app has the time tracked and a little voice over that says when to run and when to walk, but I use my own playlist with it!

i am loving the c25k i am on week 3 and feeling great im sure you'll be fine as well just run at your own pace and you'll do great

i would love to do this ! how do you get started ? can you give me details please teeth_smile.gif

I don't have the website at hand, but if you google couch to 5K, there is one. It's basically a program that can help anyone run 3 miles in 9 weeks my gradually increasing the speed and distance.

I'm starting couch to 5k March 1st! I see that apple has an app for it, does anyone know if the android market does as well?

I'm starting couch to 5k March 1st! I see that apple has an app for it, does anyone know if the android market does as well?

Hey! I see you use Android. Try our new LBT App for Android out over here.

Where do you get this prgm from and how much is the cost?

If you goggles couch to 5k there a sure that will lay out the program or search for it in the app market. I just use the website so I can listen to my ipod

My best friend and I are starting this week! I have never been a runner but I am excited at what this can lead to. We have found a 5k for every month starting in June all the way through the end of the year so we can stay motivated and be running for a "cause". We are also planning to do the 3 day walk for Breast Cancer in 2013!! Congrats everyone!! We are going to do awesome!

I'm inspired to try this again now. I found an app for Android. I didn't do it before because I didn't know how to time it.

In my opinion good running shoes are essential to avoid injury. I bought $80 shoes at foot locker and and terrible ankle problems. I went to a real running store where they spent 30 minutes observing how I walked, how I ran etc.. They had me try several shoes and made me run in the parking lot while they watched. The pain in my ankle went away almost immediately with the new shoe and has never been an issue in the year since.

I did my first 5K a little less than 13 months ago. In 2 days I am running in my first 1/2 marathon.

I was not a runner before either. I now find running to be essential to my physical and mental well being. It is my way to relax when stressed out from work and life.

Take it slow at first and don't push yourself. The C25K is a good program to ramp you up at a good pace. It should be something you enjoy doing and look forward to. I believe you will gain the most benefit and reward if you enjoy doing it.