Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Size Vs. Fills And Fullness

I was banded on Jan. 6. As of this morning, I've lost 38 pounds so far. Needless to say, I'm more than pleased with that!

Here is my question: Is it possible to not need much restriction if you're starting with a smaller band to begin with?

I notice many on here have a 14cc band. I have a 10cc band. I haven't had a fill yet, and I have to tell you, it takes very little to make me feel full. Very often I start to eat the recommended portion of a food and can't finish it. It almost feels like I'm about to swallow to reverse. It doesn't hurt and it's not nausea, but it is a definite tightness that I take as my cue to stop. (I've never vomited so far and really don't want to either lol)

I am eating roughly 900-1000 calories a day and feel very satisfied with that. I try to be sure the majority of my calories are Protein (though I still seem to end up with considerable carbs) and seriously restrict fat intake. I won't eat Pasta or breads unless they are whole grain- no bleached processed carbs.

My only (minor) complaint is that I'm hungry every 2-3 hours. For that reason, I eat small meals and then small Snacks in between. So far it works.

Is it possible I won't need much of a fill? Just enough so that maybe I can go 4 hours without being hungry? I'm already eating small portions, I just need to be able to go longer between periods of hunger.

I'm curious as to you your thoughts. Thanks :)

Wow, 38 pounds in one month! Amazing! Does that include any pre op weight loss? It took me five months to lose that much! I have a 10cc band, and have had 6 fills for a total of 7.3cc's. We are all sooo different! One person never needs a fill and another, like me, needs this much to feel restriction. I almost never get hungry. I usually go 6 to 7 hours before I feel physically hungry. I usually have a greek yogurt somerime in between that span just to help get all my Protein in. I have not had the quick weight loss as some, but I'm extremely pleased with my journey so far!!!! We all get there in the end.....just differently for all!!

Sounds like you've got it all under control! What an inspiration! I was banded almost a week ago and I'm still on liquids. I can't even imagine what restriction feels like at this point!

That does include a week of pre-op diet, too.

See that what I want, to be able to go many hours without being hungry. I'm absolutely starving way too soon after eating, even though it does take very little to make me feel full.

Oh and I was hungry all the time while on liquids, too. When I finally got to soft food last week it was like heaven! Hang in there, it gets tons easier once you can actually eat.

Everyone is different, no matter what size band or how many fills they have. You may be lucky in that you don't need many (or any) fills. It sounds like you have some good restriction. As you lose weight, you may find you need fills. I was told that as you have less fat, there is less pressure on your stomach from it, hence you need a fill as you get thinner.

I only have a 4cc band. I was alarmed when I looked at my surgery report and found that out. My patient coordinator told me the size of the band all depends on the size of the stoma part of your stomach. Has nothing to do with a patients weight. And she said you have the same restriction ability as those with larger bands.

New to the site and blogging/chatting. I was just barely cleared to have the surgery at 37 BMI. I am 6mos post op. I have only lost 20 lbs! I have gotten as many unfills as I have had fills. I am starting to get discouraged. Anybody else out there like me?

weight.png

New to the site and blogging/chatting. I was just barely cleared to have the surgery at 37 BMI. I am 6mos post op. I have only lost 20 lbs! I have gotten as many unfills as I have had fills. I am starting to get discouraged. Anybody else out there like me?

weight.png

Not like you but, I will throw out these few things. First, if you find that you are having a problem with getting stuck ... stop trying to eat. I found out the hard way that even a minuet or two can cause you to irrate your thorat and cause swelling. You may have taken a bite that was to large or eaten to fast. Go on liquids for a day or two, mushies for a day and then try softer solids. This gives the swelling time to go down. Mornings you can be tighter and you might just need to sip something hot in the AM, wait an hour or so and then try to eat. My band is fickle, stress and weather can have major affect on what I can eat and how much. Don't worry about the loss yet, you have to figure out what works for you. Fills and unfills aren't going to allow you to have a good sense of what works just yet. Last but not least, get your portein in and your Water. This will help you not be hungry. Just don't give up because the band does work.

weight.png

Yep, I've had several of each. I don't even know how much is in my band right now! Just can't seem to get the levels right. Have a fill on Thursday and hopefully I'll see "green"! lol

I just got my first fill. I had good restriction until a weekago. So glad I gOt my fill.now before I gained a lot. As you drop wt. you may need fill. Being hungery in a short time after eating sounds like you are getting close to needing a fill. Im just going by my experience but that's where I was 2 wks ago. You could be different. I have heard of people never getting fills but. Most do.

I just had a fill today. I am feeling restriction on liquids, for sure! And I found out I have 5 cc in a 10cc band.