Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and the Band

I am sure everyone is exercising or at least trying to exercise since being banded. I would like to know what exercises everyone is doing. I used to cycle alot and am trying to get back to it. I am hoping I will be able to ride long miles very soon(as soon as I am small enough to fit onto my bike!). I am also interested in weight training. Anyone doing free weights or The Firm?? How soon after surgery should I be able to do this??

:)

My doctor said no exercise for 6 weeks.

Since I have a bad spine there's not much I can do except walk (treadmill) and swim. Anything with impact is a no no for me.

At the moment I"m relying on classes at the gym - Body Pump and Circuit. They're appealing at present time, I get pushed to work harder than I ordinarily would and they're short and sweet - over in an hour.

At other times I've enjoyed doing my own thing in the gym more, but I just go with what I feel like. I go for an occasional walk but find walking more than anything aggravates my ankle.

Hey Jen,

I was banded about 6 months ago and I have worked my up to 30 mile rides! I love it! I try to do atleast 1-2 bike rides a weeks of 20 miles or more. I am running my first 10k (in 9years)next saturday. This is going to be a big victory for me! Exercise is definitley my friend! I also workout with weights.

I am currently riding a stationary bike 5 miles 5 x's a week. and also sit down exercizing 10 min am and 10 min pm 7 x's a week. I am disables so I can't so any high impact stuff. I usually use 10lbs dumbells for my arms when I turn on the computer. I can get in a couple of rounds of arm lifts while waiting for it to boot up.

Ray,

That is so cool that you are running a 10K! I just got back from a long walk thinking I would like to run again. Nice to hear that another bander is doing the same thing. Good for you!

Kelli

My doctor told me to start walking as soon as I felt up to it. I started that about a week after surgery. I added weights in at 3 weeks along with longer stints in the gym. I walk and do the elliptical trainer for about 45 min total and do circuit and free weight training. I planned on adding in abs this week (waited a full 6 weeks) but now I'm sick. From what I've read, it seems like every doc is a bit different in their exercise expectations based on your personal health history...

My docotor said I would begin an excersie program starting one week after surgery.

I walk on the elyptical (spelling) since it's very low impact but gets my heart pumping really well. I do about 30 - 40 minutes and i'm trying to do 4 - 5 times a week.

I also lift weights (but not since surgery). I actually love lifting but have a habit of lifting too heavy and my legs and shoulders get too big. My hubby is a powerlifter so I've always lifted free weights.

I was walking a mile + the day after the surgery and now am doing at least 2 miles a day EVERYDAY. I'm 3 weeks post surgery. I'd like to get back to yoga but don't feel ready. I was told 4 - 6 weeks after before starting anything more than walking.

Good luck.

Jenn

Jenn,

That is awesome!!! I went for a mile today, working back into things after surgery, but I love reading about others exercising, it is really encouraging to me because it's so easy not to do it! :)

Kelli

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I am excited to get the band. I can't wait! I am trying to get into better shape before the surgery so the recovery goes well and I can resume exercising faster. I just bought the new Firm DVD's and since I have about 2 months before the surgery, I can achieve some fitness.

Ray, way cool on the 30 miles rides. That's what I am going to try to get back to doing!! I really want to do a century ride this year. Maybe in September. The weight just peels off riding. Good luck on the 10k!

Congrats to everyone who's exercising. I am learning any amount helps the scale and the mind!

I do 30-45 minutes on the stationary bike 6-7 times a week. At 35 minutes, I'm at about 10.2-10.4 miles and my goal is 15 miles/day.

I want to start weight training, but I'm going to be moving in a few months, so joining a gym isn't gonna happen til then, unless I decide I can work out between work and dinner (I live 25 miles from work, am moving over there soon). I already know the gym I'm going to join - I should just go do it now :confused:

When I hit my first goal of 250 on 2/13, I bought myself an IPod. It certainly helps the exercise go faster than the TV!

Hola all, I do 60 minute walk/jog on treadmill 3 times a week and I do outdoor walking whenever I can Live in Houston, TX the weather has been great. I weight lift while walking on tread mill and try to do abs every time I exercise. I had surgery Oct 3 2005 and have lost 23 # and lost one clothes size. I feel wayyyyy better and really enjoy the exercise. It does not hurt so much anymore. Those walk away the pounds CD's are great also.

Elda

I have started walking at the gym. Right now I really just want to make it a habit of actually going, even if it is only for half an hour. I am going to concentrate on walking for the next couple of weeks before moving to weights.