Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Discouraged

Call it impatience, but I was banded 5 weeks ago yesterday and I have only lost 13lbs post op and 9 preop for a total of 22 lbs weight loss. I received my second fill today. My first one was a week ago. They put 5cc in my 11cc band, and today they added 1cc. I am starving...yikes. I feel like a bottomless pit and I feel like I dont even have a band in me at all :(. I dont know if my birth control that I just restarted has increased my hunger or what, I am ready to feel restriction. I am not even sure what restriction feel like,but I know that I dont have it. Sorry for rambling on and on, but I am scared I wont be successful at this.

Daily Menu

6:30 - blueberry banana Protein smoothie/shake

9:00- oatmeal (1 packet)

11:00 rolds gold pretzels (1handful)

12:30 tuna fish w low fat mayo on wheat toast or turkey w/ non fat cheese on wheat with mustard

clementine

2:00 Protein smoothie

5:00 grilled chicken with tomatoes, low fat mashed potatoes

8:00 yogurt

I drink about 4 bottles of Water with crystal light in between

Also zumba for an hour 6 days a week....

Am I eating wrong or consuming too much????

It sounds to me like your mind is messing with you a bit. I know the feeling......you want every single pound gone right now. 5 weeks is not that long. Give yourself credit and keep your eye on the prize. It takes some time. One year from now you will be basking in success.

BE PATIENT!! At 5 weeks I was still on my post-op diet. Take your time and don't rush things. You are doing the right things. Take this time to discover new ways to eat and exercise. Rushing fills to get restriction can cause a ton of issues. Keep up the good work and you will be fine.

Are you getting your Proteins in first? Also what type of yogurt are you eating. Alot of yogurts are high in sugar. I know we cant cut out bread all together but maybe try 1 slice instead of two. Also can you replace the pretzels (carbs) with a higher Protein snack? Just some suggestions.

Are you getting your Proteins in first? Also what type of yogurt are you eating. Alot of yogurts are high in sugar. I know we cant cut out bread all together but maybe try 1 slice instead of two. Also can you replace the pretzels (carbs) with a higher Protein snack? Just some suggestions.

Thanks...those sound like great suggestions, that fully plan to put into practice....Hadnt thought of those!!!

My recommendation to you is stay off the scale. Especially if you are weight training or building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, pay attention to how you look, feel, and inches. You may want to eliminate the pretzels and replace it with Protein. You are only five weeks out so you are doing fine. Only hop on the scale when you go to the doctor. Don't be discouraged, stay focused.

I am post op 6 weeks and can only eat so much before I feel like if I eat anymore I will be sick. i don't eat any bread, maybe a wrap once in a blue moon, very little Pasta, and no junk food. I do eat 5 times a day just very small healthy portions. I was getting on the scale every day and I stopped because it was driving me crazy. I didn't loose anything for a whole week and then I lost 3 pounds. It will happen just be patient. Some lose it faster than others, and some have to try harder.

I would stop the pretzels, instead choose chicken breast or string cheese. My doctor says to eat three meals a day no Snacks. Have you bought a food scale? Measure out your Protein (my doctor says 3 oz others say 4). Look for a low fat greek yogurt it has higher Protein levels.

I agree with Honk, i think it would help you to just work out roughly in a day how many calories you are consuming, and then ask the trainer how many you burn in your zumba class if the balance of calories eaten isnt less than calories burned it may be where the sticking point is .. I eat no more than a 1000 calories a day i dont count every meal now as u just know what u can eat and what to avoid. good luck :)

first of all your whole diet is mainly carbs. oatmeal carbs, pretzels carbs, wheat bread carbs, mashed potatoes carbs. Eat more Protein right now and leave the carbs alone. If you want carbs eat vegetables and fruit for now. And 22lbs in five weeks is plenty thats almost 5lbs a week.

Agree with the above post. The first four weeks is about healing anyway from the surgery.

22 pounds in 5 weeks is phenomenal! You're doing great! It took me 2 1/2 montha to lose that much! Keep up the great work!

At 5 weeks out, I was down 14 pounds. I was discouaraged too because everyone in my 6 week emotional eating class seemed to be losing so much more! But I would tell myself if I wouldn't have had the surgery I would prob be even heavier than I was before I had it done! Fast forward almost one year and I am down 82 pounds. It will come off, some weeks/ months slower or faster than others.

As far as restriction goes, I still can eat bread and other things some people aren't able to get down. I avoid bread for the most part and limit my mashed potatoes or rice to 1/4 cup servings. I still struggle with hunger. I am hoping my next visit that the fill will put me in the green zone.

Holly Dolly, your results are awesome! I hope I can say the same a year from now! I am getting banded Feb 28 and am trying to learn from everyone on here.

Holly Dolly, your results are awesome! I hope I can say the same a year from now! I am getting banded Feb 28 and am trying to learn from everyone on here.

I'm excited for you Chastndeb! You will be amazed how fast this year will go for you and where you will be!