Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Getting Started

Hello, I am just starting this journey and am so happy to have this site. I am still in the research faze and have found a seminar that I plan on attending. I have a few questions that I wanted to ask from people who have been down this road. First of all I have two young children, one of which is in a wheelchair that I have to lift. When going through this process, is there a time in the beginning that you can not lift heavy objects? Once you have your surgery and go home, are you free to go about your normal routine physically? Also, how do I choose a good doctor? There are sooooo many out there? I'm in the Dallas area. Does anyone know of a good doctor in this area? I really can't travel since I do have two small children. I have found a few seminars coming up but shouldn't I attend one that is associated with the surgeon I choose or is it ok just to go to one to get basic info for now? I haven't told anyone that I want to do this yet but im sure my husband will on board with it. I need to lose about 50 pounds and have tried numerous diets over the years. The most recent I lost 30 pounds on HCG and gained it all back. A lot of diseases run in my family and I afraid that if I don't do something now, I too will end up with them. Thank you all for sharing your experiences on here. I can't wait to get more involved and hopefully be able to one day help others on here.

Jlu

Every Dr. will set time restraints, but all will tell you no heavy lifting after surgery.

Can you get a home health aid? Does you son go to school and you only need to lift him certain times of the day?

My daughter does go to school. She is 7. We can work around it. I just need to know so I can plan accordingly. I could do it in the summer when my sister and mom are off or just make sure my husband stays in town. He travels often but we can work around it. I am not sure who I will want to tell at first. Thank you for responding. I hope someone else will chime in on a good doctor in Dallas.

I actually went to five seminars in order to not just get info but get a feel for the surgeons and see how they answered my questions and how they came off. My Doc recommended I lift no more than 10 lbs up to four weeks after surgery but I am a CNA and I went back to work 4 days after surgery and began transfering patients to and from wheelchairs, shower chairs, beds etc. I don't recommend this activity so quick but I did it and I was fine. As for a surgeon in your area search the surgeons and reviews here on this site. Good luck to you.

Thank you Sandymax. I had been to the surgeon page but didn't realize it had reviews. The doctor that a friend recommended is on that page and has great reviews. The next seminar for him is Feb. 11th. I think I will start by going to that one. I am sure I will go to several to before choosing a doctor, there's just sooo many out there.

Welcome! I cannot lift over 25lbs for six weeks. As far as your area, if you go to the "group" section at the top of this site, I believe there is a Texas group. They might be able to give you first hand experience living in the area. Best of luck in your journey!

HI I NEED SOMEONE TO GUIDE ME ON HOW TO GET THE LAP BAND I HAVE TRICARE MY BMI IS 39.7 IM 5'1 Weight is 210 PLEASE HELP

Phany... You need to find a doctor first then attend their free seminar to get all the info and you can ask questions about their program and insurance.

K BUT MY QUESTION IS WHAT DO I TELL MY PCM MY APPT IS FOR DO I SAY PHYSICAL AND THEN TELL HER EVERYTHING OR,WHAT,DO I SAY,THE APPT,IS FOR DO U THINK ILL GET APPROVED IM 5'1 WEIGHT,IS 210 MY BPI IS 39.7 NO HEALTH PROBLEMS DEPRESSED,YES BACK HURTS YES LEGS HURT YES A LOT OF HEALTH PROBLEMS UN THE FAM IM SCARED ILL GET DENYED

IM SO NEW I DONT EVEN NOE WHAT A SIMINAR IS.... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE I WORKOUT AND EAT HEALTHY AND I STILL DONT LOOSE WEIGHT IF,U CULD CALL ME OR EMAIL ME WULD BE SOOOO VERY HELPFUL

Hello everyone, just wanted to update my post and ask more opinions from the people who have been there, done it. When I posted the other day I was still researching and trying to decide if this was for me. After reading this site I got more excited about it. Over the weekend I talked to my husband about it with my husband and as I thought, he is onboard with it. I also researched a doctor who was highly recommended on here and attended his seminar on Saturday. I was really I impressed. I spoke with him afterward and he said I was the perfect candidate. Ok here is where I would like you to chime in. Please be honest, no sugar coating. Am I stupid for wanting this? I am not hugly obese. My Bmi is 32. I am considered obese on the charts. Last year my cholesterol was borderline high. I was suppose to have it rechecked but I lost 30 pounds and just hoped that it went down. I have since gained atlest 20 of the pounds back and I am afraid that when I have my annual next week that it will be high. I had my hormones tested a few months ago and 3 of my 5 hormones are out of wack. My whole family with the exception of my sister is really overweight. My father has diabetes, heart disease, glaucoma etc. my mom has high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I am afraid that if I don't do this I am headed down the same path.I have also done lots of other diets including Jenny Craig and have always lost but gained right back. Insurance probably won't pay but I can self pay using my husbands bonus. I suffered infertility for years and finally adopted a child and then had a child so I am an older mother. My kids are three and six, I am 44. I want to around for them for along time. I really feel like this is what I should do and I am excited about it. Yes I know it will be work I am ready. I could wait until I gain more weight but why? Then I will probably have health issues, will be even older, and will have more extra skin to worry about. Not to mention will have wasted this time. I know most of you say that you wished you would have done it sooner so why shouldn't I?

I say do it. You're self pay so you don't have to have insurance approval (but you might try insurance, then save some of the bonus for clothes later, LOL- with a lower BMI your insurance may requrie co-morbidities such as sleep apnea, diabetes, etc)

It isn't easy- I'm just newly banded, and it has not been hard yet, but I can't eat real food yet! Just dont' go in thinking it is a magic bullet- you still watch what you eat, need to exercise, etc- it's not like you wake up thin. There can be complications (that's why I liked lap band, with complications it can be removed if necessary). Just go into it with your eyes opened and willing to do the work. It sounds like you'd be a great candidate- and wouldn't it be nice to diet, have the weight come off- and have it STAY off.

As to the lifting, I was told nothing over 15 lbs for 2 weeks. I guess it varies, LOL.

JustDoIt130- thanks for responding. Yes, I know it will be hard work but I am ready. I have put myself on the back burner since becoming a mom and I decided that this year was the year to take care of myself. I cant be here for my kids if i dont take care of myself too! Last year I suffered all year in pain from a Morton's neuroma in my foot. Two weeks ago I finally had it removed. Now I'm ready to deal with my weight. I have my first consultation tomorrow. I am excited to finally get started. Any advice on questions to ask? I am definetley asking about if complications are covered.

HI I NEED SOMEONE TO GUIDE ME ON HOW TO GET THE LAP BAND I HAVE TRICARE MY BMI IS 39.7 IM 5'1 Weight is 210 PLEASE HELP

Phany - call your insurance and ask them the requirements for coverage. They should provide you with their policy requirements. Most insurances require a BMI of 40 with our without comorbid conditions (diabetes, High blood pressure, heart disease etc) or a BMI of 35 with at least two comorbid conditions. Each insurance varies however. Step one: call your insurance. Step 2: go to a lap band seminar. Step 3: follow the guidance given to you at your seminar. Each surgical weight loss program has their own way to fill requirements. Hope that helps!

weight.png