Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency Room For Fecal Impaction 1 Month After Surgery

Sorry, what chat are you trying to find?

Why did you have the lapband removed ?

Maybe you should start your own thread?

Do you realize that you are bumping up a rather sensitive thread, for the OP?

I tried finding this in other forums but had no success. Has anybody ever had to go to the ER for Constipation? I had surgery on December 28th and so far everything has been great (no stuck episodes, no vomiting, losing lots of weight, abundant energy). Unfortunately yesterday I ended up in the ER. I had diarrhea the first week after surgery then was normal until about a week ago. I took milk of magnesia and thought I was having diarrhea (it ends up it was going around the "fecal mass"). Yesterday afternoon I was in terrible pain and almost passed out trying to have a BM. The ER took an x-ray and it showed a huge fecal impaction near the rectum and I was severely backed up almost all the way to the top of my intestines. They gave me a magnesium citrate laxative by mouth and a HUGE soap enema. Three hours later I was fine. The ER doc told me to take Miralax on a daily basis.

I was wondering if this is a common (or somewhat common) problem with others. Also, does anyone else take Miralax on a daily basis? Is it safe? I hate to think I have to take a laxative everyday for the rest of my life sad.png

I have NEVER had constipation problems until I had lapband surgery. The week after surgery I was so scared, but I hadn't really eaten anything, so no wonder I wasn't going. It was okay after a week, I finally went. I have had two episodes in the past year with problems going. The first time I waited it out and drank plenty of Water. I was eventually fine after about 5 days. Then I had another episode where I hadn't went in a week. I was so scared, so I got some Ex-Lax. The next day I went, but had horrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. It was one of the worst feelings of my life. I will NEVER take that again! I would rather go to the ER take some nasty medicine and get an enema. I now put odorless, tasteless Metamucil in my Water every morning and try to get in 64 oz. of water everyday. I haven't had any problems since my regimen. You just gotta take extra good care of yourself. It will be okay.

Constipation seems to be an on going issue for many of us I had surgery last August and still deal with this issue. I am a notorious non thirst quencher I get so caught up working during the day I forget to drink and have had constipation episodes where I just want to die from the pain of either stomach cramps or trying to pass what feels like a brick. Water, water, water, and Fiber, fiber, fiber, fruit and all that. Gotta keep things moving smoothly. Read where fiber comes from if you don't really know you may be surprised. I eat a lot of squash it helps - I buy bags of grilled eggplant and squash and sauté it with some nice fire roasted tomatoes hit it with some parmesian and it is delicious taste like eggplant parm without all the fat and keeps that nasty constipation away.

I do Benefiber in my coffee every morning, plus take a probiotic daily. It seems to do the trick :)

I thought I was doing good, but now that Im on soft/regular foods, Im starting to feel the Constipation. Are there any fruit juices we can drink that will help us?

the only time ive had Constipation problems was when i drank the Protein Powder that i mixed with lofat milk.. as soon as i switched to "Boost" drinks the problem went away. Good luck !

Hello Everyone! Yes!!! The same exact thing happened to me. I am currently 2 1/2 years post-op!!! I am still happy with my band and my decision! Unfortunately, I ended up in ER with severe, severe, SEVERE!!!!! abdominal pain. I thought I was dying. Ultrasound revealed I had an excessive amount of bowel in both my upper and lower intestines!!! The ER Dr. was like, "You have to get that out of there as soon as possible!!!" The staff, I'm sure found it to be quite commical.

I was given tylonol #3, magnesium citrate and told to drink Miralax daily.They could not stress the importance of Water, Water, WATER enough!!!! During the summer, I have no problem drinking 64+ ounces of water. However, during the winter it's an entirely different story. I struggle with the water. I must do better!!! I was also told to take a stool softener DAILY!!!! Exercise also helps tremendously !!!

Now, ask me if I have done so and continued this on a regular basis????? NO!!!! I needed this thread to remind me of what can happen. I plan to go back to the plan asap! I just had to take a Fleet Enema to relieve myself. I know it is embarrassing and I must admit I am often jealous of those "regular" people who go daily.

Tomorrow is a new day and a great opportunity for us to start over! Get drinking!!! Water that is....Get movin' and get ourselves on track.