Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgeon Is Not Supportive.

Hi,

I live in Australia and was banded in November 2011.

I did a lot of research before I made the decision to get banded. But one thing I really really failed on is picking a decent surgeon.

I found him on the Australia Lap Band website and thought 'Hey, he'll do. His closer than any of the others.' I didnt get a referral from my GP because I didnt actually have a regular GP until after my surgery.

Anyway, my surgery went well, very painful but nothing too bad happened. But since then I have realised that my surgeon is a complete A-hole. I have asked him about a list of good nutritious foods for post-op and he said that Ill figure it out. I called him a few days after my surgery because my main wound was weeping and very painful and he got angry at me for not calling him sooner, even though he didnt actually give me post-op instructions other than liquids for 2 days. And then he said that I had to wait until Monday for him to examine my wound because it was Friday afternoon and he was about to go home for the weekend.

I really want someone who will be a little bit more understanding, someone who will give me the information I need and be able to guide me in the right direction when I ask for advice.

Please let me know if you have the same problem. Also, is it possible to change surgeons post-surgery??? How do I proceed??

Thanks,

Simone

Sounds like you need a good nutritionist.

It definitely sounds like you need a new surgeon to take over your care. I can't believe the complete lack of not only compassion but healthy direction. Did he set you up with a nutrionist ever? Give you food guidelines at all?

An important piece of advice I tell people often, and this is just about Lap-Band it's anytime you're dealing with a doctor: Remember, you are the boss. They are they employee. The doctor works for you. If you don't like the service you're getting? FIRE THEM!

I would start by researching other surgeons in your area. Then make an appointment, explain your situation, and see if they'd be willing to take over. When you go to explain your situation, get a feel for them. Don't stop looking until you find one you're comfortable with.

Best wishes to you.

Ask your GP for a referral.

It definitely sounds like you need a new surgeon to take over your care. I can't believe the complete lack of not only compassion but healthy direction. Did he set you up with a nutrionist ever? Give you food guidelines at all?

An important piece of advice I tell people often, and this is just about Lap-Band it's anytime you're dealing with a doctor: Remember, you are the boss. They are they employee. The doctor works for you. If you don't like the service you're getting? FIRE THEM!

I would start by researching other surgeons in your area. Then make an appointment, explain your situation, and see if they'd be willing to take over. When you go to explain your situation, get a feel for them. Don't stop looking until you find one you're comfortable with.

Best wishes to you.

Hi Mis73,

I received absolutely zero information from my surgeon. I did not get a referrel for a nutritionist, I didn't get any post-op care advice, he didn't tell me the exact process of things that would happen on the morning of my surgery so I was a bit of a fish out of Water, he didn't even tell me how often I should be eating. It's all a big mess.

And when I went to get my first fill in December, I asked him exactly how much saline was put into my band and he said "About a couple".

I am going to find a new surgeon, Ill ask for a referral from my GP because he is a great doctor and will point me in the right direction. I just didn't know if it was possible to change.

Thankyou so much for your advice.

Simone.

Girlfriend, find a new Dr with a quickness!!! That is just ridiculous!! Sounds like he's only in it for the $$ and that's sad. He's setting you up for failure by not giving you any post op instructions nor a nutritionist. This forum is a great place for you to start looking for a new Dr. I'm sure there are plenty bandsters from your area that would be more than willing to help out find one...Good luck on your journey....